ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is wife apply for British citizenship straight after getting ILR (obtained on the basis of 10 Year long residency)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

MYA

Is wife apply for British citizenship straight after getting ILR (obtained on the basis of 10 Year long residency)

Post by MYA » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:18 pm

Dear experienced board Members

I have following situation

I came in UK as a student in 2007
In 2011 when I was still on student visa I applied for my wife visa and she joined me as a dependent of T4 general student in 2011.
After that I switched onto T1 post study work visa and then in 2013 I switched into T1 entrepreneur visa, my wife also moved in above categories as a dependant.

Finally in September 2017 I managed to get ILR on the basis of long residency and I switched my wife visa to dependant of a settled person Spouse/partner on FLRM recently in August 2018. Her Extention of flrm will be due in February 2021 but just one month before her extension of Flrm in January 2021 she can qualify for ILR on the basis of her own 10 years residence.

I have already applied for my naturalisation and hoping to get it next month ( INSHAALLAH)

Now the point I want to make it here is that if I able to get naturalisation next month then my wife will be classed as spouse of British citizen, can my my wife apply for naturalisation straight after next day of obtaining her ILR (on the basis of long residency) by saying that she is the spouse of British citizen and hence need to show 3 year residency and she don’t have to wait for 12 months in ILR?

Is being a spouse of British citizen is enough for her to qualify under 3 year residency requirement or she has to spend three years starting from the date I become British citizen.

Guidance from experience members like CR001, and others input required on this situation.

Regards

vinny

Re: Is wife apply for British citizenship straight after getting ILR (obtained on the basis of 10 Year long residency)

Post by vinny » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:03 am

MYA wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:18 pm
I have already applied for my naturalisation and hoping to get it next month ( INSHAALLAH)

Now the point I want to make it here is that if I able to get naturalisation next month then my wife will be classed as spouse of British citizen, can my my wife apply for naturalisation straight after next day of obtaining her ILR (on the basis of long residency) by saying that she is the spouse of British citizen and hence need to show 3 year residency and she don’t have to wait for 12 months in ILR?
Yes.
MYA wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:18 pm
she has to spend three years starting from the date I become British citizen.
No.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.