ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FROM ILR TO CITIZENSHIP

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

peacefultraveller

FROM ILR TO CITIZENSHIP

Post by peacefultraveller » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:22 pm

Hello And Good Day to you, :D
(thank you for looking at my post and also for any replies)

I am posting to find out the procedure (documents, how do I begin, etc) on securing the citizenship from having granted ILR status.

I obtained ILR status through long residency and currently in the qualifying period of applying for citizenship.

(1) can I apply for the British Passport the Same time as I submit the application for citizenship or does it have to be done as a separate application

(2) do i need a solicitor or a lawyer for this application or any parts of it, or am I able to do it myself

(3) what sort of information do I need or evidence do I provide

(4) what are the application ways and methods to apply and what is the usual time frame for processing

(5) does the year on ILR count from the day I first entered the UK or from the date the ILR was granted

Any additional information is gladly appreciated in advance and thank you for looking

P.S.

I do apologize in advance if I have posted this in the wrong topic, and I have also looked at the gov.uk website, but I need more clarity :roll:

alterhase58
Germany

Re: FROM ILR TO CITIZENSHIP

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:15 pm

peacefultraveller wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:22 pm
Hello And Good Day to you, :D
(thank you for looking at my post and also for any replies)

I am posting to find out the procedure (documents, how do I begin, etc) on securing the citizenship from having granted ILR status.

I obtained ILR status through long residency and currently in the qualifying period of applying for citizenship.

(1) can I apply for the British Passport the Same time as I submit the application for citizenship or does it have to be done as a separate application
Yes, by using the NDRS/NCS service. You must fill in the passport paper application available from the Post office.
(2) do i need a solicitor or a lawyer for this application or any parts of it, or am I able to do it myself
A solicitor/lawyer is not generally required as the application is normally straightforward if you fulfil all the requirements.
(3) what sort of information do I need or evidence do I provide
Your really need to study the guide/requirements for the application available on gov.uk - https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... en-form-an
(4) what are the application ways and methods to apply and what is the usual time frame for processing
Paper or online - 2 months to 6 months normally but can take longer in some cases
(5) does the year on ILR count from the day I first entered the UK or from the date the ILR was granted
from the date the ILR was granted
P.S.

I do apologize in advance if I have posted this in the wrong topic, and I have also looked at the gov.uk website, but I need more clarity :roll: study all the information the above weblink then ask more specific questions.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

peacefultraveller

Post by peacefultraveller » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:43 pm

thank you for the reply.

I will indeed have a look and also read through in a bit more detail.

Just to clarify in a bit more detail, you mean an individual can apply for the british passports the same time they lodge the application for naturalization/citizenship from ILR without awaiting the outcome of the citizenship application?

And this does not need to be done as a separate application?

you also mentioned of a NCS Service, how do i find more information of this please? is there a website separately for this please?

peacefultraveller

Post by peacefultraveller » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:45 am

Hello,

could someone please say which is the better option :

(1) apply for the naturalization online ( do I submit documents online or do I just fill application online)

OR

(2) apply using council services (do I print the application and submit it )

What are the pros and cons please?

Is there a huge price gap for either service?

What are the basic documents that should be sent along ( I don't want to send too much documents if they are not needed) _ is the documents same as ones used for ILR?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:07 am

You apply online (form only) and submit your documents at NDRS at the council. Include the paper passport application if you are making the joint application.

Pros are you can apply for passport at the same time and you get to keep all your original documents.

NDRS is an extra fee.

Documents, have you read the AN guide???
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

peacefultraveller

Post by peacefultraveller » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:20 pm

Thank you for the reply.

Could I clarify is there a difference with filling the application form online or by downloading it and printing and taking it to the council services to be sent via post?

Which is the quick method or the effective method? Any thoughts please?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:26 pm

There is no 'quicker method'.

If you apply online and use NDRS (not NCS), you can apply for the passport at the same time (paper passport form). Online you submit and pay online, which is the date of application.

If you use the printed form and apply using NCS, you cannot apply for a passport at the same time. Applying with the paper form you have to complete the payment form and hope HO doesn't have problems with your bank blocking the payment,
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

peacefultraveller

Post by peacefultraveller » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:17 pm

Thank you for your reply.

Upon some further investigation, I see that using " NCS " is where you download the application, fill it in and submit via the council.

The NDRS allows to submit application online and submit required documents via council and it also gives the opportunity for the passport application to be sent the same time.

So my question is this,

It says once you fill the online application and submit it, you have only 10days to submit the docs required via the council ; but what if none of the councils nearby and local has no appointments until more than 10 days so doesn't this affect the whole process as its a delayed submission?

In this case, are we to first book the council appointment then go ahead and fill the online application and gather documents so the time scales are met?

Can you give me some clarity or some information where i can locate anything about this matter please.

trilobite1981
Mood:

Post by trilobite1981 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:36 am

peacefultraveller wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:17 pm
Thank you for your reply.

Upon some further investigation, I see that using " NCS " is where you download the application, fill it in and submit via the council.

The NDRS allows to submit application online and submit required documents via council and it also gives the opportunity for the passport application to be sent the same time.

So my question is this,

It says once you fill the online application and submit it, you have only 10days to submit the docs required via the council ; but what if none of the councils nearby and local has no appointments until more than 10 days so doesn't this affect the whole process as its a delayed submission? It effects.

In this case, are we to first book the council appointment then go ahead and fill the online application and gather documents so the time scales are met? Yes

Can you give me some clarity or some information where i can locate anything about this matter please.

Ffmuni
Germany

Post by Ffmuni » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:46 am

As trilobite says ‘yes’ you will be prudent and wise to make an appointment first.

Make sure you have everything in place for your online application then make an appointment then submit the application.

The Govt website says

“Make an appointment
You must contact a local authority to book an appointment to use this service. You will need to attend an appointment with them within 10 working days of submitting your online application. You may want to check availability before you submit your application. Your application will be rejected if you do not attend an appointment or submit your original documents within 10 working days”

Where they say “you may want to check availability” I think it it should say “make an appointment before submitting your application” you’ll be certain you are OK then.

peacefultraveller

Post by peacefultraveller » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:33 pm

Thank you all for the kind reply.

I have a question about the referees, it says one referee has to be a professional person or a from that background

And the other has to be a British citizen and not related, and known for 3 years minimum = would this include a partner ( such as boyfriend/girlfriend) or can such a person sign as a referee.

-----

And also,

Do we need to prove evidence of employment?

What if the person went and took the job about 6 months after obtaining ILR?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:51 pm

- A boy/girl friend is ok, as you are not related, if they meet the requirement for referee. Husband or registered partner would not be.
- Employment is not a pre-requisite for naturalisation. Unemployed people get approved. If you have been or are still employed then you need to declare that in the application. Not sure what you mean by taking a job six months after ILR.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

beckydee
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by beckydee » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:34 am

Ffmuni wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:46 am
As trilobite says ‘yes’ you will be prudent and wise to make an appointment first.

Make sure you have everything in place for your online application then make an appointment then submit the application.

The Govt website says

“Make an appointment
You must contact a local authority to book an appointment to use this service. You will need to attend an appointment with them within 10 working days of submitting your online application. You may want to check availability before you submit your application. Your application will be rejected if you do not attend an appointment or submit your original documents within 10 working days”

Where they say “you may want to check availability” I think it it should say “make an appointment before submitting your application” you’ll be certain you are OK then.
Some councils (including my own local council) only allow you to book an appointment after submitting online – you cannot proceed without your payment confirmation reference. This seems risky to me so I found another council that is more flexible (and actually cheaper than mine!). Of course if you live more remotely this is not an option, but it's a good idea to shop around a bit.

trilobite1981
Mood:

Post by trilobite1981 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:51 pm

beckydee wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:34 am
Some councils (including my own local council) only allow you to book an appointment after submitting online – you cannot proceed without your payment confirmation reference. This seems risky to me so I found another council that is more flexible (and actually cheaper than mine!). Of course if you live more remotely this is not an option, but it's a good idea to shop around a bit.
Hey Beckydee have you already had your NDRS appointment? If not you must clarify with your council whether they can have your appointment before you submit the application. I had my appointment and at the time of reservation they were clear that I have to submit the online form before the appointment. So, I reserved my appointment and then submit the form and took the payment confirmation with me.

beckydee
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by beckydee » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:13 pm

trilobite1981 wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:51 pm
beckydee wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:34 am
Hey Beckydee have you already had your NDRS appointment? If not you must clarify with your council whether they can have your appointment before you submit the application. I had my appointment and at the time of reservation they were clear that I have to submit the online form before the appointment. So, I reserved my appointment and then submit the form and took the payment confirmation with me.
Sorry it wasn't clear, my point was that some councils won't allow you to even reserve an appointment slot (for after you intend to submit your application) without having already submitted your application. This is worrying as some places have limited availability and if you wait until after you submit online to try and book an appointment, the clock will have already started on the 10 days to submit documents.

I will do the same as you, I have booked my appointment and will submit online before attending :D

peacefultraveller

Post by peacefultraveller » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:42 pm

Thank you for the replies.

So going further on in to the question; what are suitable referees? Where do I obtain this list?

And do both referees have to know the person applying for a period of 3 years or is it 1 of them who needs to know?

Could one person be the Local MP and another like a doctor or like where is the list of people who are valid for this?

And also, with the online application, does it allow to fill part of the application one day and another part another day or does it have to be filled in one go before submitting or does it have the option to save and submit later on?

And with the employment, does this apply to a non EU person too? As in, could the person have been unemployed for a said amount of time but at the time of applying for naturalization, can they be employed/unemployed, does it matter?

And do you have to attend citizen ceremony at the council the NDRS was done or could it be done at any other council?

Do we get an approval letter or does it go to the council?

Do the passports come via royal mail or would it be delivered via DX Post?

Sorry for the questions, trying to get more clarity.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:44 am

List of referees in first link in the link below.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=citiz ... e&ie=UTF-8

Both referees must have known you for 3 years. Doctors are no long on the list.

You can take your time with online form as you can save as you go.

There is NO requirement to be employed for citizenship!!

Unless you specify a specific council for the ceremony, it will usually be the one local to where you live.

You get the approval letter by second class post.

If you apply for passport using the joi t scheme through NDRS, it is usually signed for but often it is just put through your door or post box.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

peacefultraveller

Post by peacefultraveller » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:09 pm

thank you for the link and the reply.

could i ask where does it state that both referees need to know the person for 3 years please?

(i couldn't find that part, i was thinking, what would happen when the person does not have a referee who is british and known them for 3 years?) do they need to attach their passport as well? british/non british ?

so just to understand, the letter will be sent to me to notify of the ceremony, i do not need to keep calling the council to find out?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:15 am

Have you read the guidance notes and the paper form?? It specifically states the 3 year requirement for referees. Only one referee needs to be British, the personal referee. The professional referee can be any nationality.

I strongly suggest you read the AN paper form, guidance notes and booklet. It covers the majority of your questions.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

peacefultraveller

Post by peacefultraveller » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:11 am

I have briefly gone through and I will.

Thank you once again.

It’s a bit confusing that the paper printing application isn’t exactly the same as the one you fill online.

And on the online part, I can’t skip to the next part of the application without completing one part to come back and complete later on.

And it also gives the option online to fill reference details, where do I get to print it and sign the details of referee?

trilobite1981
Mood:

Post by trilobite1981 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:01 pm

Referee pages will be available to download after you submit the online application form.

peacefultraveller

Post by peacefultraveller » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:40 pm

Thank you for the reply.

I am also confused over the part which states, previous applications and include all information about them; so am I right in thinking this refers to any application submitted and not applications for naturalization?

And how am I find all the information for over 12+ years and also the information about the application submitted from my home country?

I’m sure HO should have a record?

trilobite1981
Mood:

Post by trilobite1981 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:16 pm

peacefultraveller wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:40 pm
Thank you for the reply.

I am also confused over the part which states, previous applications and include all information about them; so am I right in thinking this refers to any application submitted and not applications for naturalization? yes

And how am I find all the information for over 12+ years and also the information about the application submitted from my home country? You can get some information from your current and old passports (from the visa stikers). In my case I took scanned copies of my previous BRP cards. You just need to give them as much as information. As an eg if you cant remember the exact previous application date you can just enter the year and the month without the date.

I’m sure HO should have a record? Sure they do. They need to compare their records with the information you provide I guess.

peacefultraveller

Post by peacefultraveller » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:51 pm

Thank you for your kind reply.

From my understanding the application is not the tough test but the matter of obtaining refreees!

I mean it’s really hard finiding refrees who fill the criteria and also are going to vouch on a document.

I’ve seen so many members of the forum encouting difficulties on obtaining references for the application process.

Most people get worried over the declaration even if the applicant is not a crook. 😂

Could you kindly be able to elaborate if a girlfriend/boyfriend can fill this critieria? Or their parents? (Providing they a British already and not related ?
What if the couple is just on base relationship level ; not engaged, not living together, no joint bank accounts, just simple boyfriend/girlfriend etc
What if they were friends before that?
What if relationship is not public; not on Facebook etc?

I.E. what would be a defining more description of this?

Some times, life is complicated, not everything can be identified as black and white (there are also shades : grey) 😀

I know a solicitor who is not representing can be references but what others?
Who knows the person personally and professionally?

So say the professional person is the referee, can the other be a friend who is British or do they have to hold a professional job too?

It should be something so simple but yet it’s completely complicated.

I know doctor/GP is no longer able to be able to be of reference.

So, who do you explain the part “ how is the refereee known to you” can you say a friend? A work mate?

With all due respect it’s 10million rules and regulationns 😂

Any help is appreciated.

trilobite1981
Mood:

Post by trilobite1981 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:57 pm

I used 2 British civil servants and the connection to them has described as work colleagues.