ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Refused Application for National Insurance Number

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Jethro22
Newly Registered

Refused Application for National Insurance Number

Post by Jethro22 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:22 pm

Hello all

My partner recently applied for a National Insurance Number at the Department of Work and Pensions through the Jobcentre Plus nearby. However, a month after his interivew at the Jobcentre Plus, we received a letter indicating that he failed to provide sufficient evidence of his right to work in the UK, and therefore no National Insurance Number was issued to him.

We feel that the decision maker has made a mistake because he holds a biometric residence permit as my Tier 2 dependant. Clearly he has a right to work, and we know this for certain because we have done the following checks:

(A) We utilised the online tool from the UK Government's website (https://www.gov.uk/prove-right-to-work) to prove his right to work. This definitely showed that he can do any job except as a doctor, a dentist in training or professional sportsman/coach.

(B) We utilised another online tool from the UK Government website (https://www.gov.uk/legal-right-work-uk), which required us to answer a few questions. Again, the tool confirmed that he has a right to work in the UK.

(C) We emailed the Home Office through their Business Helpdesk. We received a response that confirmed that my partner has indeed a right to work in the UK.

So I guess the key questions are:

(1) What evidence does the Department of Work and Pensions need to "sufficiently" prove that my partner has a right to work?

(2) Is there any way we can appeal to their decision?

(3) Would it be better to just re-apply and highlight during the interview at the Jobcentre Plus that we have done those checks?

I honestly think that they should know better. I mean, they may have received applications from dependants in the past, presumably my partner was not the first. Also, online tools from the UK Government's website are publicly available.

Appreciate your help.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Refused Application for National Insurance Number

Post by CR001 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:31 pm

Did your partner submit the brp card that is valid?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Jethro22
Newly Registered

Post by Jethro22 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:34 pm

Yes. He brought his BRP with him during the interview, made a copy of it, and showed the same at the JobCentre Plus.

robin12345
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by robin12345 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:58 pm

Thats what they normally tell you but ring 08001412079 this number and ask the actual reason because mostly actual reason isnt mentioned on the letter so only the processing team can tell you. Like my dad went for it and it was refused because they didnt ask him if hes looking for work and letter said the same thing about his identity and right of work so i phoned up this number and i was told he didnt say he was looking for work even though no one asked him if he was or not so we had to make another appointment and go through all that again.

Jethro22
Newly Registered

Post by Jethro22 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:40 pm

Thank you, Robin.

So I rang 08001412346 to ask for a clarification. The lady who picked up the phone was kind enough to look into it. This took her less than 10 minutes to check, and she found that the person who reviewed the application failed to notice the copy of the BRP card, which my partner had submitted. She was apologetic and polite. She also said that my partner should simply wait for another letter from them (presumably with an approved National Insurance Number), and so no new appointment is needed.

It can be frustrating to be honest, as an oversight like this causes unnecessary inconvenience. However, the lady was superb and quick to admit that they made a mistake. Still grateful. :D