ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Two Schengen visas for different purposes

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

MM144
Newly Registered
Micronesia

Two Schengen visas for different purposes

Post by MM144 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:53 pm

Hi Everyone,

I've come across a question about having multiple type C Schengen visas which I couldn't find a clear answer for, hoping for your help.

So, someone is holding a 3-year multiple entry Schengen tourist visa and resides in a third country. He is willing to go to a Schengen country to do a scientific research for a short period of time. There is a short term visa for that, which is apparently of a type C with the usual 90/180 restriction.

The question is, can he do that without cancelling the 3-year multivisa?

The situation is overall very strange, as I couldn't find any clearly written regulations on that matter, although many people do say one cannot hold two valid C-type visas at the same time. But what if the purposes of the visas are very different? Isn't it ridiculus to have to cancel a 3 year visa if you need to make a 2 month trip for a different purpose?

Thanks for your help

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Re: Two Schengen visas for different purposes

Post by Caravel88 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:59 am

As far as I know you can not have two type-C Schengen visas at the same time.
Type-C is for short stays, as you know.

So if you are going to travel for less than 90 days, you can use your visa.
MM144 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:53 pm
Hi Everyone,

I've come across a question about having multiple type C Schengen visas which I couldn't find a clear answer for, hoping for your help.

So, someone is holding a 3-year multiple entry Schengen tourist visa and resides in a third country. He is willing to go to a Schengen country to do a scientific research for a short period of time. There is a short term visa for that, which is apparently of a type C with the usual 90/180 restriction.

The question is, can he do that without cancelling the 3-year multivisa?

The situation is overall very strange, as I couldn't find any clearly written regulations on that matter, although many people do say one cannot hold two valid C-type visas at the same time. But what if the purposes of the visas are very different? Isn't it ridiculus to have to cancel a 3 year visa if you need to make a 2 month trip for a different purpose?

Thanks for your help