ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

british citizenship while Leave to remain

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

mandra
Newly Registered
Nepal

british citizenship while Leave to remain

Post by mandra » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:45 pm

hi,
I have finished my Leave to remain(2.5 years) and now applied for renewal, am waiting for my second Leave to remain(2.5 years).I am also married to british citizen few months back.will register marriage after I recieve my Leave to remain.

I was thinking,after i recieve my Leave to remain and regestier marriage can I actually apply for British citizen or nutralisation straight away?or I shoud meet some more criterias?

any professional or experienced will be very helpful,thank you.

Casa

Re: british citizenship while Leave to remain

Post by Casa » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:10 pm

What do you mean by 'register my marriage'. Where did you marry?

You won't qualify for British citizenship until you have been granted ILR at the end of your 5 year period of residence.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Klarae
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by Klarae » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:04 am

You will have to complete 5 years on Leave to remain visa (60 months) then apply for indefinite leave to remain after which you can apply for naturalization.
You don't get automatic citizenship by marrying a British citizen. You still have to go through the necessary applications. The only difference is you don't have to wait a year after indefinite leave to remain to apply for citizenship.

CMOSUK
Mood:

Post by CMOSUK » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:17 am

Klarae wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:04 am
You will have to complete 5 years on Leave to remain visa (60 months) then apply for indefinite leave to remain after which you can apply for naturalization.
You don't get automatic citizenship by marrying a British citizen. You still have to go through the necessary applications. The only difference is you don't have to wait a year after indefinite leave to remain to apply for citizenship.
My understanding is the OP has recently married to a BC but has not registered the marriage yet and will do so after their second set of a 2.5 year leave to remain is approved, if it is approved.

I believe what the type of leave to remain the OP is currently on and has applied for renewal is not a spouse visa of 5 years, for them to qualify for an application of ILR. I may be incorrect though.

If the OP could state what leave to remain that -they actually have, as if it is based on being married to a BC then that would be 5 years, to my understanding all other routes (not all of course) are 10 years or so for to be able to qualify for an application of ILR.
These are my 'views' and 'opinions'.
If in doubt always seek professional advice, or at least do a search for the relevant information. :P

If i make any mistakes, You are more than welcome to correct me.