ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moving all the stuff

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

dillonuw
Newly Registered
United States of America

Moving all the stuff

Post by dillonuw » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:07 pm

Hello,
I am wondering from all the folks that have moved from another continent to the UK: what did you do with all of your "stuff?" I have some electronics (a PC and a game console) and some clothes that I would like to take with me to London. Which is the most economical option of getting those there?

Sending it by US post seems reasonable, but are there any customs or duty fees on my own junk?

Should I use an international moving company for only a few boxes?

Should I pay a couple hundred bucks and stuff it into additional suitcases for the airplane?

Most of my belongings are getting left behind, but for the big price-tag items, I would like to hear from some other ex-pats. Thanks!