ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling without BRP on Tier 5 visa- or how to get BRP in time?

Only for UK Tier 5 (Temporary work) points system
Also includes the Youth Mobility Scheme Tier 5

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

asdfkie
Newly Registered
Mood:
Singapore

Travelling without BRP on Tier 5 visa- or how to get BRP in time?

Post by asdfkie » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:17 pm

So it's been a seriously frustrating summer looking for jobs and applying for a visa switch in the UK after graduation. Ended up getting a job offer two weeks ago with an external tier 5 sponsor who has just issued me with their sponsorship confirmation yesterday when my Tier 4 visa expires on monday. (Yes, living life on the edge) Apparently I can stay in the UK because I have submitted my online application for Tier 5 (Section 3C Leave). The problem is now I am applying for the Tier 5 visa's premium service in the UK and the earliest appointment is on 15 Oct. I am flying back to my home country on 19 Oct to see a family member who is very ill. With premium service you get a same day reply on your visa status, but the BRP is only issued 7-10 working days later. That's not the biggest problem as I can still try to change my appointment to an earlier slot or pester them to speed it up. The biggest f***up is that apparently the new BRP will only be issued when you have a national insurance number and guess what I am applying for a national insurance number with an interview in November and that will take 6 WEEKS after that. How am I going to travel without my BRP? there is no way I am cancelling the flight.

Anyone has experience entering without a BRP but with a visa decision? Do embassies help? My nationality allows me to enter without a visa, but I guess immigration officers will know of my visa status. Any help is appreciated. I've gone through too much to give up now, but I'm seriously thinking of cancelling my visa and just leaving the country on Monday and never ever coming back.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Travelling without BRP on Tier 5 visa- or how to get BRP in time?

Post by CR001 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:32 pm

Useful to state which category of Tier 5 you are applying for :idea: :idea:
that apparently the new BRP will only be issued when you have a national insurance number
Really, where did you read that?? Link??
Anyone has experience entering without a BRP but with a visa decision? Do embassies help? My nationality allows me to enter without a visa, but I guess immigration officers will know of my visa status. Any help is appreciated. I've gone through too much to give up now, but I'm seriously thinking of cancelling my visa and just leaving the country on Monday and never ever coming back.
You need your BRP. If you are stamped in as a visitor, which you would be then, it supercedes your Tier 5.
pester them to speed it up.
Good luck with this. HO don't print and despatch the BRP cards. It is outsourced.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

asdfkie
Newly Registered
Mood:
Singapore

Post by asdfkie » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:38 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:32 pm
Useful to state which category of Tier 5 you are applying for :idea: :idea:

Tier 5 Temporary Worker- Government Authorised Exchange
that apparently the new BRP will only be issued when you have a national insurance number
Really, where did you read that?? Link??

A friend of mine who just went for an interview at the visa centre was told that by the lady there. The NI number needs to be on the back of the BRP. He was applying for Tier 2 visa, but it seems the process for the two are almost identical. It is ridiculous that this is not mentioned anywhere on the Gov uk site.

You need your BRP. If you are stamped in as a visitor, which you would be then, it supercedes your Tier 5.
By that do you mean that entering as a visitor voids my tier 5 visa even though it is approved?
Good luck with this. HO don't print and despatch the BRP cards. It is outsourced.

Do they not even entertain any family tragedies and expect people to wait for months to travel just for a BRP? Surely they can issue a temporary permit for re-entry?

Thanks- really appreciate the reply.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:55 pm

A friend of mine who just went for an interview at the visa centre was told that by the lady there. The NI number needs to be on the back of the BRP. He was applying for Tier 2 visa, but it seems the process for the two are almost identical. It is ridiculous that this is not mentioned anywhere on the Gov uk site.
For tier 2 visas yes. It is not the same for all visa categories!!
By that do you mean that entering as a visitor voids my tier 5 visa even though it is approved?
Correct yes.

Do they not even entertain any family tragedies and expect people to wait for months to travel just for a BRP? Surely they can issue a temporary permit for re-entry?
BRP cards do not take 'months'. Some get them within a couple of days, others get them within the 7-10 days window, all delivered by DX Courier. This all assuming of course that your visa is approved on the day and not held for further queries. There is no 'temporary permit' issued withing the UK, the 'temporary permit', IS your BRP card.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

asdfkie
Newly Registered
Mood:
Singapore

Post by asdfkie » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:04 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:55 pm
For tier 2 visas yes. It is not the same for all visa categories!!

Thanks for the reply again- do you know anyone or heard of anyone with a BRP that they applied for a switch for tier 5 in the UK that did not have a national insurance number on the back? That's my main worry at the moment.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:07 pm

For Tier 2 General visas, the NI Number is issued automatically when they apply for the visa, even if applying outside the UK, the NI number is issued and printed on their BRP.

I am not familiar or heard of the same procedure for Tier 5.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

asdfkie
Newly Registered
Mood:
Singapore

Post by asdfkie » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:10 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:07 pm
For Tier 2 General visas, the NI Number is issued automatically when they apply for the visa, even if applying outside the UK, the NI number is issued and printed on their BRP.

I am not familiar or heard of the same procedure for Tier 5.

I see, there might be hope then. My friend actually was told that they had to wait for the national insurance number to be processed (which he had applied a while back) which would delay the BRP, and he was applying in the UK. Fingers crossed- thanks a lot for your help!