ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I exit the UK after ceremony?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

dje76
Newly Registered
Belgium

Can I exit the UK after ceremony?

Post by dje76 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:50 am

I am a European citizen (EU).
I will attend the British citizenship ceremony soon.
I understand I will need to send back my permanent resident card to the UK after this ceremony.

1/ Can I apply for a British passport on the same day of the ceremony? If yes, what do I need?

2/ Can I leave the country with my European Passport?

3/ Can I use my certificate for applying for a British Passport outside of the UK? Or does it need to be in the UK?

secret.simon

Re: Can I exit the UK after ceremony?

Post by secret.simon » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:58 am

dje76 wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:50 am
I understand I will need to send back my permanent resident card to the UK after this ceremony.
No, you don't. That applies to non-EEA citizens who have been issued BRP cards under the UK Immigration Rules. As an EEA citizen who has acquired PR under EU law, you continue to have PR status and hence your card is still valid. You do not need to return your DCPR.
dje76 wrote:
1/ Can I apply for a British passport on the same day of the ceremony? If yes, what do I need?
Yes, you can submit the form, along with the required documents at the closest Post Office. The passport forms are available at most post offices, so you can collect them in advance.
dje76 wrote:
2/ Can I leave the country with my European Passport?
Yes.
dje76 wrote:
3/ Can I use my certificate for applying for a British Passport outside of the UK? Or does it need to be in the UK?
Preferably in the UK. Part of the naturalisation requirements are that you have a future intention of residing in the UK. If you leave the UK immediately after the ceremony and apply from abroad, the Passport Office has been known to deny passports om the basis that you do not meet the future intentions requirement.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.