ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is Child born in UK with British Passport eligible for OCI?

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Sriniwekh
Newly Registered
India

Is Child born in UK with British Passport eligible for OCI?

Post by Sriniwekh » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:40 pm

Hi,

My son was born in the UK in Dec 2017. Both I and my husband have an Indian passport.

We have not registered the child with the Indian Embassy or applied for the Indian passport yet. At the moment the child is stateless.

Since the child is born in the UK he is eligible to apply for a British passport. We are planning to apply British passport for him. But before doing that I have few questions.

Will the child be eligible to apply for OCI if he directly applies for a British passport?

Thanks in Advance..

srsw

Re: Is Child born in UK with British Passport eligible for OCI?

Post by srsw » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:22 pm

If either father or mother of the child does not have ILR or British citizenship, then child will be Indian citizen. You need to apply for Indian passport.

Child born in the UK does not automatically get UK citizenship, unless certain criteria is met.
My advice is based on personal research/experience, so pls check relevant UKVI sources.