ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship Question!!

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

desperado

British Citizenship Question!!

Post by desperado » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:59 pm

Hello all,

I'm eligible for applying british citizenship starting early Jan 05 (4 yr wp + 1 yr ILR) but haven't applied yet as I'm unable to find answer for Proof of Sufficient knowledge of english language.

I'm BCom graduate, working as Software Architect in the UK for well over 5 yrs now. Will my graduation certificate be enough to prove my english knowledge.

If it is not enough then can a solicitor can give me a letter that I've good knowledge of english? I've walked into a local solicitors office and he said he hasn't got a clue what i'm talking about. He said he never heared anything about giving certificate for proof of english.

I fall under the category of 4 yr wp + 1 yr ILR. So which application form should I use? Any links please?

I'm an Indian passport holder. Do I have to surrender my Indian passport or can I hold dual citizenship?

Any advice please?

Thank you.

John

Post by John » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:32 pm

Will my graduation certificate be enough to prove my english knowledge.
You don't actually say which university issued the certificate! If a British university I would say the answer is undoubtedly .... yes ... but if say Indian, I think you should also provide proof that the degree course was conducted in English, if indeed it was.

Which application form? No doubt AN(NEW).

Dual passports? I have no particular knowledge about Indian law but have seen a posting on this board saying there is no problem you holding dual nationality. Certainly as far as the UK is concerned there is no problem you having dual nationality.

Try to ensure that the application form and all the supporting documentation is received by IND this month. The application fee goes up on 1st April!
John

desperado

Post by desperado » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:47 pm

Hello John,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I did my graduation @ Madras University. I'm not sure what proof can I present that the course was conducted in English. All I have is my graduation certificate from Madras University, India.

As I cannot present the proof that my graducation was conducted in english. The next best option for me will be is to book an appointment with a local notary and have him present me with a proof that I've good knowledge of english. Am I right?

Please let me know what you think?

Thanks, and yes I will try to get my application form before 1st april 05.

John

Post by John » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:00 pm

About the degree certificate, I think that could be a problem. Or at least I would not risk it .... the application being sent straight back to you. After all my wife's university degree certificate is in English, but the course was conducted in Thai!

A notary? No, not correct. Such a person is only suitable if you come from an English speaking country such as New Zealand or Australia. Instead you could contact a professional language school and ask them to provide the needed certificate. They will, no doubt, effectively give you a little verbal test .... they want to speak with you ..... before signing the certificate for you.

A qualified language teacher, or indeed any graduate school teacher or university teacher, is able to sign the form for you.

Unless of course you already have a certificate showing your English is at ESOL Entry 3 level, or better?
John

davidm

Re: British Citizenship Question!!

Post by davidm » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:33 pm

desperado wrote:Hello all,

I'm an Indian passport holder. Do I have to surrender my Indian passport or can I hold dual citizenship?

Any advice please?

Thank you.
Desperado,
In addition to John's answer regarding the language requirement, let me add my bit about your Indian citizenship after you become British. My business partner is Indian and he is going through a dilemma of whether to become British or not. India, like Singapore, Belgium, Norway etc. have very strict dual nationality criteria. As per Indian constitution, if any person voluntarily acquires another nationality, he/she would automatically lose his/her Indian nationality (check the website of Indian high commission www.hcilondon.org under the relevant section). My friend has made the decision to remain Indian for sentimental reasons. As far as I know, Home Office does not inform the other country concerned if any of their citizens acquire British nationality and it is possible that you might be able to get away with keeping the Indian passport and the British passport as long as you don't have to renew your Indian passport. But once you get British nationality, you lose your Indian citizenship automatically so you will have to choose which one to keep if you follow the letter of the law.
Last edited by davidm on Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

desperado

Post by desperado » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:34 pm

Blimley!!! I thought a notary will be the best person to certify. In the homeoffice website I saw five Section.

Section 1: Applies to ppl who already speak good english
Section 2: Applies to native speakers of English
Section 3: Is for ppl who have been learning english as second lang.
Section 4: Is for ppl who are learning english
Section 5: Is for ppl who are clearly not yet at ESOL

Me...Born indian, graduated at Madras Univ....have good communication skills..Which section do I belong too...

I thought I was section 1 but I can't prove my graduation was conducted in english...So do I fall under section 3 then? Under section 3 description it doesn't say anything about language teacher able to certify me.

May I know what form will the language teacher or university teacher should sign? May I know where can I download those form?

I trully apologise for posting so many questions but this post may help others in the future.

Thanks in advance for your response.

desperado

Post by desperado » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:43 pm

davidm wrote: Desperado,
In addition to John's answer regarding the language requirement, let me add my bit about your Indian citizenship after you become British. My business partner is Indian and he is going through a dilemma of whether to become British or not. India, like Singapore, Belgium, Norway etc. have very strict dual nationality criteria. As per Indian constitution, if any person voluntarily acquires another nationality, he/she would automatically lose his/her Indian nationality (check the website of Indian high commission www.hcilondon.org under the relevant section). My friend has made the decision to remain Indian for sentimental reasons. As far as I know, Home Office does not inform the other country concerned if any of their citizens acquire British nationality and it is possible that you might be able to get away with keeping the Indian passport and the British passport as long as you don't have to renew your Indian passport. But once you get British nationality, you lose your Indian citizenship automatically so you will have to choose which one to keep if you follow the letter of the law.
Hello David,

Thanks for the info. I had doubts myself whether I'm eligible for dual citizenship but the website of indian high commission clearly states I will lose my citizenship.

Thanks for the link.

John

Post by John » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:26 pm

desperado, assuming you are still intent upon proceeding, even though the moment you get your British Certificate of Naturalisation it would appear you lose your Indian citizenship, as regards the language aspect, it all comes down to whether English is your first language or not.

If not your first language then go to :-

Annexes

-: and then click on Annex D if you are not in Scotland, or Annex E if you are in Scotland.
John

desperado

Post by desperado » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:48 pm

John,

Fantastic! That's the link I was looking for.

Thanks a lot John.

davidm

Post by davidm » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:46 pm

Hello David,

Thanks for the info. I had doubts myself whether I'm eligible for dual citizenship but the website of indian high commission clearly states I will lose my citizenship.

Thanks for the link.
Desperado,
Pleasure.
My friend has decided to sit out for sometime- he told me just now that there is a dual nationality bill coming soon which would allow him to keep both citizenships and he is waiting for it to be passed before proceeding.
Rgds
David