ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship - New Online Application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

samsindo
Newly Registered
Mood:
Iraq

Re: British Citizenship - New Online Application

Post by samsindo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:10 am

Hi all,

I am submitting an online application through the document return service at Southampton city council. I have moved to Southampton recently, so all my referees are ones from where I used to work before at Lancaster. I am completing my 12 months from the date of obtaining the ILR on 13/11/2018, so I am submitting my online application on that date. I booked an appointment to submit my documents on 14/11/2018.
Technically speaking currently my application is partially complete, and now I am posting the documents needed to be signed by my referees (with my photos) along with copies of my partially submitted application, passport and BRP. So I expect they date their signature to today's date. Would having the referees dating the Referees and Identity form to a date prior to the submission date cause any problems to my application?

Thanks in advance for your help :-)

Ancestor
South Africa

Post by Ancestor » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:42 pm

samsindo wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:10 am
Hi all,

I am submitting an online application through the document return service at Southampton city council. I have moved to Southampton recently, so all my referees are ones from where I used to work before at Lancaster. I am completing my 12 months from the date of obtaining the ILR on 13/11/2018, so I am submitting my online application on that date. I booked an appointment to submit my documents on 14/11/2018.
Technically speaking currently my application is partially complete, and now I am posting the documents needed to be signed by my referees (with my photos) along with copies of my partially submitted application, passport and BRP. So I expect they date their signature to today's date. Would having the referees dating the Referees and Identity form to a date prior to the submission date cause any problems to my application?

Thanks in advance for your help :-)
I asked mine if they wouldn't mind just dating 10 days before my application date which they obliged, no big deal. I did this just to try and make sure not older than a month, as I think one needs do what sounds reasonable. I think if too long, may be frowned upon, but not sure what some may have experienced.

saraw
Newly Registered

Post by saraw » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:02 am

Hi All,

This thread is amazing, thank you for the information already present on here!

I'm an EEA citizen and have my ILR.

I'm about to submit a JCAP (joint for citizenship and passport) application and will definitely use NDRS in order to keep my European passport with me.

I understand I need to do the citizenship application online. However, I am getting mixed messages from HO and Hammersmith & Fulham Council regarding whether I can/can't submit my passport application online and then just print off the summary and checklist and provide the summary and checklist to NDRS along with my supporting documents for them to send via mail to UKVI. :shock:

Can someone please let me know if I can apply for both citizenship and passport online (for the joint JCAP application) and also use NDRS in the process by providing the printed summaries and checklists? :?

Much appreciated!
Sara

Abdo73
Newly Registered

Post by Abdo73 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:50 am

Hi Sara,

The JCAP involves submitting your citizenship online AND filling the passport paper form, which you need to take with you to the NDRS appointement.

You can not apply online for your passport if your are using the JCAP service ( obviously, you can apply online for your passport only after you attend your ceremony and get hold of your certificate )

Hoping this helps.

saraw
Newly Registered

Post by saraw » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:19 am

Thank you, this definitely helps!!

Apologies if the below questions are too much but I just hit a roadblock and I'm struggling... :oops:

Another confusing thing I just found is - if I apply through JCAP/NDRS:
* do I need to fill in Sections 5 & 10 from the paper passport application form?
* do I add my mobile number in Section 2 (which has a specific field for mobile number) or in Section 8 (as every London Council's instructions say)?
* do I need 1 of the 2 photos for the passport bit to be countersigned + 2 photos glued to the reference forms for the citizenship, or do I just bring 4 photos total (for both citizenship & passport) with my names written on their backs?

Thank you so much!!! :roll:

Abdo73
Newly Registered

Post by Abdo73 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:14 am

You need to bring 4 identical photos from the same set, two of which the NDRS employee will fix on the two referees forms. ( you do NOT need to countersign the photos, just write your full name and DOB on the back)

As to filing the passport form, here is the full guide :

Applicants should complete sections 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 (if applicable) and 9 of the passport application form. They do not need to complete section 10 nor have the 2 photographs certified. Details of referees will be collected as part of the citizenship application.

You need to bring in four photographs. The photographs submitted must be identical (i.e. from the same sitting) and must adhere to British Passport standards. The applicant's name should be written on the back of three photographs. One photograph must be left blank. If in doubt please leave all photographs blank and assistance will be given during your appointment.

** Section 2: Please do not enter a mobile phone number in section 2 of the application form. Please enter it in Section 8 instead.

Section 4: Grandparents’ details are not required.
The payment mandate on Page 25 of the Application guidance must be completed, but do not fill in the barcode section. Please ensure that the security number of the card is entered in the appropriate box.

All the best.

saraw
Newly Registered

Post by saraw » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:54 pm

Thank you so much!!!

gualtiero91
Newly Registered

Post by gualtiero91 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:42 am

Query1982 wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:04 am
I had enquired about my application (5 year ILR spouse of BN- applied through JCAP NDRS Edinburgh) after my passport fees was deducted on July 12th, and after a month of waiting I assumed my letter must have gotten lost in the post, so in a panic I contacted citizenship.support@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk

They replied back to me promptly, which was a relief as I was very worried.

But their reply has confused me further as I have been following the application timelines in this forum and I realised people who have applied a month later than I have already recieved their approvals. I am a Non EEA national and my spouse is a British National, we also have a British child.

The reply I got was -
"On Friday, 10 August 2018, MMST FMT <NationalitySupportTeamFMT@homeoffice.gov.uk> wrote:
According to our records no invitation has or will not currently be issued as applications are dealt with in application receipt date order. As your application was received on 18th May 18, It will take a while longer for your application to be considered. Once your application is decided, you will be contacted by your caseworker."

So I was wondering if applications are dealt with in different date orders for Scotland, England, Wales and Ireland? Or is it the same for all?
QUERY1982, I am in a similar situation of panic, applied on 14June 2018. Can I ask you what you wrote in your email and where you found the addresses? Many thanks.

hari.s

Post by hari.s » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:15 pm

Hello,

I am filling out my JCAP paper passport form and there is a section that asks for previous passport details.

I currently hold an Indian passport. Should I just enter my Indian passport details in there?

And should I make a note somewhere that these are Indian passport numbers, as it doesn't clarify whether to mention which country the passport is from?

Thanks,
Hari
EEA FP: 07/09/2012
UK entry: 23/09/2012
EEA1+EEA2: 19/04/2013
Non-EEA PR+EEA DCPR: 11/12/2017+16/12/2017
British citizenship: 06/12/2018

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:19 pm

hari.s wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:15 pm
Hello,

I am filling out my JCAP paper passport form and there is a section that asks for previous passport details.

I currently hold an Indian passport. Should I just enter my Indian passport details in there?

And should I make a note somewhere that these are Indian passport numbers, as it doesn't clarify whether to mention which country the passport is from?

Thanks,
Hari
It is all passports. Have you read page 6 Section 3 of the guidance notes, it is very clear??

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ce_v24.pdf
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

hari.s

Post by hari.s » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:42 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:19 pm
hari.s wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:15 pm
Hello,

Thanks,
Hari
It is all passports. Have you read page 6 Section 3 of the guidance notes, it is very clear??

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ce_v24.pdf
I did read it but for some reason I seem to have not registered it. Just anxiety, I suppose.

Thank you for your help.

AndrewCarr
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by AndrewCarr » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:30 am

I have just gone through the online application for registration as a British citizen for my wife and we have all the documents together. we wanted to make use of the NDRS but have been told that the Suffolk registrars are no longer issuing appointments and that they suggest that we try elsewhere , Cambridge say that they no longer offer the service. does any one have any info on whether teh NDRS is being shut down or is there just a problem with these two local authorities?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:33 am

AndrewCarr wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:30 am
I have just gone through the online application for registration as a British citizen for my wife and we have all the documents together. we wanted to make use of the NDRS but have been told that the Suffolk registrars are no longer issuing appointments and that they suggest that we try elsewhere , Cambridge say that they no longer offer the service. does any one have any info on whether teh NDRS is being shut down or is there just a problem with these two local authorities?
the system will be changing, likely from November. Try any other NDRS. Have you submitted and paid online already??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

AndrewCarr
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by AndrewCarr » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:16 am

hi have not submitted and paid yet, wanted to get everything lined up and sure of everything first, only thing is that we cannot afford not being able for her to accompany me on travels , i guess i will just have to keep plowing through the list unless someone can tell me a council in NE London, essex that still does NDRS

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:24 am

AndrewCarr wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:16 am
hi have not submitted and paid yet, wanted to get everything lined up and sure of everything first, only thing is that we cannot afford not being able for her to accompany me on travels , i guess i will just have to keep plowing through the list unless someone can tell me a council in NE London, essex that still does NDRS
Someone mentioned on another topic that a southwest london council offers a walk in service. Might be worth trying
Char (CR001 not Casa)

yagmur
Newly Registered
Turkey

Post by yagmur » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:46 am

Hi there, I will do my online application after 10th of November (because I have to wait 1 year after receiving my ILR) I already started filling the online form and gathering my documents.

The steps in the online application are:
1. Start
2. Application
3. Documents
4. Declaration
5. Pay
6. Download and print

I stopped at the 3rd step as I have to wait until 10th of November to declare, pay and submit. 3rd step shows you a checklist. However it says there is a more extensive checklist and it will be provided after finishing all steps:

This checklist will be provided after you have completed your application payment.

This means I will have only 10 days to complete the checklist as it says you have to submit your docs in 10 days to Nationality Return Service.

So my question is, can anyone who already did this application please provide this final checklist here please so I know in advance and start gathering my documents (especially because it is hard for me to get permission from work and go to my accountant/bank etc) so it would be a huge help if I can gather all those beforehand.

Thank you!!!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:51 am

yagmur wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:46 am
Hi there, I will do my online application after 10th of November (because I have to wait 1 year after receiving my ILR) I already started filling the online form and gathering my documents.

1. Start
2. Application
3. Documents
4. Declaration
5. Pay
6. Download and print

I stopped at the 3rd step as I have to wait until 10th of November to declare, pay and submit. 3rd step shows you a checklist. However it says there is a more extensive checklist and it will be provided after finishing all steps:

This checklist will be provided after you have completed your application payment.

This means I will have only 10 days to complete the checklist as it says you have to submit your docs in 10 days to Nationality Return Service.

So my question is, can anyone who already did this application please provide this final checklist here please so I know in advance and start gathering my documents (especially because it is hard for me to get permission from work and go to my accountant/bank etc) so it would be a huge help if I can gather all those beforehand.

Thank you!!!
You could of course read the AN guidance notes and booklet. It tells you what is required!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)

yagmur
Newly Registered
Turkey

Post by yagmur » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:50 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:51 am
You could of course read the AN guidance notes and booklet. It tells you what is required!!
Thanks, sure I've already read those. I was just wondering if there was anything different in the online checklist. Because in one booklet it says P60s, payslips etc are necessary, in another one it doesn't say. Plus I've been self-employed before (not anymore) So additionally I might need the Self Assessment Statement of Account that covers the time I was self employed.

koffi0909
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by koffi0909 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:15 pm

I have been a silent reader for several years and this forum has been a great help.
in returning the favour I hope my story helps anyone waiting to apply for naturalisation.
This is an advice regarding the 10 years good character rules.
I read about how some people had been refused based on the new 10 years good character rule, thereby people who are on indefinite leave to remain are afraid to apply based on the horror stories of refusal. my advice is, If you were an overstayer prior to you being granted resident permit and hadn't work illegally or claim any benefit for the last 10 years of your live in the United Kingdom. your chances of being granted is high has the home office will normally apply discretion to your application. During this process the home office will send a questionnaire for you to explain how you were surviving during your illegal stay within the last 10 years. so be prepared to gather all evidence i.e payslips, bank account statement from your sponsor during those period.
here is my journey to British citizenship.

February 2005 entered United Kingdom
June 2011 discretionary leave granted
August 2015 discretionary leave renewer granted
applied Indefinite live to remain in June then granted in September 2017
September 2018 naturalisation granted.

I was sent a questionnaire to fill and send evidence of how I survive between 2008 - 2011.

Goodluck

codem2013
Spain

Post by codem2013 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:37 pm

yagmur wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:46 am

1. Start
2. Application
3. Documents
4. Declaration
5. Pay
6. Download and print

Thank you!!!
It is hard to tell what the checklist will be exactly because it will be tailored to your case.
it shouldn't be too different from the documents in step 3..hopefully someone who has completed the full online process can confirm that.

Ancestor
South Africa

Post by Ancestor » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:33 pm

yagmur wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:50 pm
CR001 wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:51 am
Thanks, sure I've already read those. I was just wondering if there was anything different in the online checklist. Because in one booklet it says P60s, payslips etc are necessary, in another one it doesn't say. Plus I've been self-employed before (not anymore) So additionally I might need the Self Assessment Statement of Account that covers the time I was self employed.
The P60s etc. are only necessary if you are an EU application and your passport wasn't date stamped on entry to the UK, as proof of your residence. Employment is not a requirement for naturalisation.

The Online Checklist will not alter much (shouldn't at all) from what you see when you download a copy of the partially completed application form, is not extensive at all. You can fill in the 3rd step and proceed to step 4, from where you can/may still go back and edit your application. JUST DO NOT PROCEED PAST STEP 4 TO STEP 5 PAY AS YOU CANNOT GO BACK ONCE DOING SO.

When you go to Step 4 you will be able to download your referee forms in advance to get those sorted in advance.

hari.s

Post by hari.s » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:01 am

A bit confused about this but would appreciate any help...

When doing NDRS+JCAP, what exactly are the photo requirements?

I know the referee doesnt need to countersign the form again but do I still need 2 photos for NDRS + 2 photos for JCAP with the referee certifying my likeness at the back of the passport photos?

Thanks,
Hari

codem2013
Spain

Post by codem2013 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:33 am

hari.s wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:01 am

I know the referee doesnt need to countersign the form again but do I still need 2 photos for NDRS + 2 photos for JCAP with the referee certifying my likeness at the back of the passport photos?

Thanks,
Hari
check out this thread
british-citizenship/photographs-require ... 46875.html

I would go for 2 photos with name and DOB glued to both referee forms and another 2 for the passports...4 in total

I am not sure why but most NDRS council pages say "The photographs submitted with both applications must be identical"!!

hari.s

Post by hari.s » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:38 am

codem2013 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:33 am
hari.s wrote:

Thanks,
Hari
check out this thread

I would go for 2 photos with name and DOB glued to both referee forms and another 2 for the passports...4 in total

I am not sure why but most NDRS council pages say "The photographs submitted with both applications must be identical"!!
Thanks. I already have 2 from each Referee and glued that to the referee declaration.

But what I am trying to figure out is if the other 2 for the passport application need to be signed at the back.
Would you know about this?

codem2013
Spain

Post by codem2013 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:07 am

hari.s wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:38 am
codem2013 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:33 am
hari.s wrote:

Thanks,
Hari
check out this thread

Thanks. I already have 2 from each Referee and glued that to the referee declaration.

But what I am trying to figure out is if the other 2 for the passport application need to be signed at the back.
Would you know about this?
The council guy will certify them for you...it is the whole point of the appointment...so I wouldn't touch the 2 passport photos
as long as you have the photos with you, then it should be fine....you can always double double check when you call to book an appointment.