ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Preparing for Life in the UK test

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

PeeAdy
Newly Registered
Mood:

Preparing for Life in the UK test

Post by PeeAdy » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:31 pm

Hi everyone,
My wife got her further leave to remain this week - took a lot of preparation but the process went very smoothly.
While I am still in "Home Office mode", I am looking ahead to preparing for the application for indefinite leave to remain.
I think the main challenge for us, as with most people, will be the Life in the UK Test.
I have a couple of questions that I hope you may be able to help me with please?
1) does anyone know if there is a DVD that helps to prepare for the test? It would make the learning process much more engaging (I'm thinking along the lines of a cartoon 'Horrible Histories' style?). I'm British and an academic and after skim-reading a few pages of the required book I was yawning!
2) does anyone know of any classroom-based courses to facilitate learning the content of the required book? If there are, do you think they are a worthwhile investment? We are based in Manchester so if any of you know of any such courses here I'd be very grateful to hear from you.
I realise things will inevitably change by the time my wife takes her test in late 2020/early 2021 but I prefer to prepare well in advance.
Thanks very much :-)

Lynz1988
Canada

Re: Preparing for Life in the UK test

Post by Lynz1988 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:47 am

LITUK test is a very easy test HOWEVER I have read that they are seeking to make it more difficult. So, if your wife isn't due to take it for a few years yet, I wouldn't worry now as the LITUK test is directly based off of the handbook itself which looks like it could change quite a bit coming up. I found some websites with some overly difficult practice tests and I also downloaded a few apps on my phone to practice. Passed with absolutely no problems.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:48 am

PeeAdy wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:31 pm
Hi everyone,
My wife got her further leave to remain this week - took a lot of preparation but the process went very smoothly.
While I am still in "Home Office mode", I am looking ahead to preparing for the application for indefinite leave to remain.
I think the main challenge for us, as with most people, will be the Life in the UK Test.
I have a couple of questions that I hope you may be able to help me with please?
1) does anyone know if there is a DVD that helps to prepare for the test? It would make the learning process much more engaging (I'm thinking along the lines of a cartoon 'Horrible Histories' style?). I'm British and an academic and after skim-reading a few pages of the required book I was yawning!
2) does anyone know of any classroom-based courses to facilitate learning the content of the required book? If there are, do you think they are a worthwhile investment? We are based in Manchester so if any of you know of any such courses here I'd be very grateful to hear from you.
I realise things will inevitably change by the time my wife takes her test in late 2020/early 2021 but I prefer to prepare well in advance.
Thanks very much :-)
There are a few on Youtube. Maybe not animated videos but audios that could she could listen to.
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

PeeAdy
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by PeeAdy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:27 pm

Thanks very much! I'll have a look.
I also just saw there's going to be a public consultation about the test to ensure it's more relevant to daily life and culture in the UK - hopefully a much more relevant, meaningful and accessible test will come to fruition!
http://lifeintheuk.net/home-secretary-p ... e-uk-test/

NomiKaay

Post by NomiKaay » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:33 am

Hi PeeAdy,

I was in the same boat as you last year when preping for the LIUK. After reading a couple of chapters, I just couldn't concentrate. The approach I took was; I bought LIUK audio book for under £5, put it on my phone, listened to it for 5 days on my way to/from work (my work commute takes about 25-30 mins one way). I passed my test within 5 mins of taking it!

Now this could just be me, however, I have recommended the same approach to a few of my peers towards success.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

NK

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:52 pm

Me and my wife just passed the Life in UK test. We did not read any book.

We only prepared from the online exams. I know 6 people including myself who have successfully passed with that.

I am not sure if I am allowed to post any website link here. Moderators please let me know so i can post here. It may help many other people.

If not allowed, you may pm me.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

ilovethebeatles

Post by ilovethebeatles » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:34 pm

It is actually an easy test. In my case, I bought the book, read twice, then the official app on mobile to practice, and came for the test without any problem. They are mostly common sense questions. Many people think, and I also think, practicing with the official app should be enough to pass it.