ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Regarding Phd Courses

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ajay
Newly Registered

Regarding Phd Courses

Post by ajay » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:04 am

Hello Everyone ,
My sister wants to do PHD course in uk . She has done Msc in biology in India .
Please give us advice for which universities we can look for and visa process ?
After completing Phd here she can get work placement ?

Please give us any guidance or advice
Many thanks

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Regarding Phd Courses

Post by sah10406 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:08 am

ajay wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:04 am
Please give us advice for which universities we can look for and visa process ?
For a Tier 4 Student visa information, see https://www.gov.uk/tier-4-general-visa

The UK Council for International Student Affairs has a detailed website about coming to study in the UK, covering all aspects. See https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

SamTiger
Mood:
India

Re: Regarding Phd Courses

Post by SamTiger » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:38 am

Finding an univ for PhD is a massive task. (I've recently finished my PhD.) You have posted generic questions expecting specific answers!! Well, let me give it a try!

1. Choosing univ depends on your circumstances -- you can fund yourself or you expect funding. For self-funding, PhD fee for experimental study is costlier than theoretical (I think you understand what i mean). If you get selected for a fully funded studentship, that's a bliss!!! Your fee is paid by univ and you'll receive monthly stipend for your maintenance. (I got one after a year of searching!!) Positions are very very very ... competitive. But do not give up, fight with our destiny to get one!! Most have succeeded with tireless efforts. In any case you need to find and convince a supervisor (a Professor) your research worth. I don't think any supervisor will simply accept even if you say you can self-fund your PhD. Find your areas of interest. Filter projects based on your skill sets and initial research exposure. Your undergrad/postgrad projects might help.

2. Finishing PhD will entitle you for one-year work permit currently under Doctoral Extension Scheme. It is up to you to find work based on your skills. I think there are few restrictions which you can find it online.

Believe me, I spent endless sleepless nights searching for projects and contacting professors through email. There are many many websites that list open positions. I don't think we're allowed to post those here. Google them and spend hours, hours, hours ...

Good luck!!