ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

nakau
Newly Registered
South Africa

BC Questions

Post by nakau » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:05 am

Hi all :P

My journey so far - I first came to the UK on a Working holiday visa when I first met my partner who is a BC, then after we got married Spouse visa and then ILR. I've had ILR since 2014 so could have applied ages ago for citizenship but just haven't got around to it until now.

I'm sure this has been asked before but i have a few questions that i need to get clarification on for my application.

My application is sitting and waiting to go, i was going to post it but I've been warned against it due to miss placement of documents etc. So i was going to use the NCS but they are only offering the document checking service with the online application now where i live. Has anyone used the regular postal application recently without any issues? Or should i just make the online application?

My husband works at sea and before he left i got his passport etc certified at the post office in May. Is there a expiration date for these documents and will the documents checking service accept these or does it have to be seen and approved by them physically first?

In terms of referees, everyone that I'm related too, work for professional bodies. One brother in law is a Policeman and another a Pharmacologist. As i can't use either of them i know a friend of friend that has known me since 2009 who is a registered physiotherapist and works for the NHS. Would he suffice as a referee? Being a friend of a friend? You no what i mean, he knows me but i wouldn't say we were close friends. What do you do in the situation where you don't know anyone that matches the criteria of any of those listed as accepted?

Thank you all for your time and sorry if these questions have been asked before :D

alterhase58
Germany

Re: BC Questions

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:26 am

If you apply by post you will have to send original documents, including Passport, BRP, etc. Using NCS/NDRS, they will take copies and certify them and return all your originals, plus send the docuemnts to UKVI.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

nakau
Newly Registered
South Africa

British Citizenship

Post by nakau » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:13 pm

This has probably been asked before so please accept my apologies before hand. I'll keep this brief and straight to the point.

Applying for citizenship. Been in the UK and with my partner who is a brit since 2009. Married my partner in 2011, got my ILR in 2014. I could have applied for BC a year after but other things in life took priority and here i am now, finally ready.
I had all my documentation ready and was ready to book my appointment with the NCS. I live in Liverpool and they know longer offer a NCS service. Do i just book todo it with another council such as Manchester or Chester?

I thought about just sending my application by post but i hear that it could take longer and you could be without your documents for ages or potentially they may even got lost etc. Any insight on posting your application or not to bother?

Lastly, If i make my application online, how does that work with all your documents, photos and your referees? Do you scan your docs in or do you have to make an appointment with NCS and in my case with a different council as i mentioned above or is there a different procedure?

Thanks all :)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: British Citizenship

Post by CR001 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:30 pm

I have merged your post in the general online form topic with your previous topic for ease of reference and so that your post doesn't get lost.
nakau wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:13 pm
This has probably been asked before so please accept my apologies before hand. I'll keep this brief and straight to the point.

Applying for citizenship. Been in the UK and with my partner who is a brit since 2009. Married my partner in 2011, got my ILR in 2014. I could have applied for BC a year after but other things in life took priority and here i am now, finally ready.
I had all my documentation ready and was ready to book my appointment with the NCS. I live in Liverpool and they know longer offer a NCS service. Do i just book todo it with another council such as Manchester or Chester? You can apply at ANY council. Note that NCS is phased out of most councils though so double check. Also note that NCS you cannot apply for passport at the same time. You will need NDRS for citizenship and passport joint application.

I thought about just sending my application by post but i hear that it could take longer and you could be without your documents for ages or potentially they may even got lost etc. Any insight on posting your application or not to bother? Both routes can take a few weeks, couple of months or many months. There is no preference for one route over the other in terms of speedy decision.

Lastly, If i make my application online, how does that work with all your documents, photos and your referees? Do you scan your docs in or do you have to make an appointment with NCS and in my case with a different council as i mentioned above or is there a different procedure? You will get a referee form towards the end. You think print the form and everything and send it, either by post or through NDRS where you need an appointment within 10 days of submitting online. You need to make 100% sure that if you are applying online, that you were physically present at the same time 3 years ago.

Thanks all :)
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

nakau
Newly Registered
South Africa

Re: British Citizenship

Post by nakau » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:53 pm

Thank you so much. You have answered my questions. I keep putting submitting my application off, I've had it ready since August. I feel so anxious over it all, i don't know why as my application is straight forward but i find this all very stressful.

Thank you so much again for your time