ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UKM preparing - need to redo biometrics?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

modulus
Newly Registered
South Africa

UKM preparing - need to redo biometrics?

Post by modulus » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:14 pm

Hi folks

My wife and I came to the UK last year on 5 year ancestry visa. We had full biometrics done at the time.

I am now preparing to apply for UKM - pre1983. Would I need to redo my biometrics or can they use the records from my ancestry visa?

The reason I ask is my unabridged SA birth certificate is in storage in the USA, so wondering whether we need to fly back there and get it before applying for UKM?

Appreciate any guidance

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: UKM preparing - need to redo biometrics?

Post by CR001 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:40 pm

Would I need to redo my biometrics or can they use the records from my ancestry visa?
You need to enroll your biometrics again for a UKM application.
The reason I ask is my unabridged SA birth certificate is in storage in the USA, so wondering whether we need to fly back there and get it before applying for UKM?
You would need the birth certificate as a supporting document for a UKM application anyway as it is mandatory to submit original documents.

Is your wife on a Ancestry dependent visa??
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

modulus
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by modulus » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:44 pm

CR001 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:40 pm
You need to enroll your biometrics again for a UKM application.
Ahh . dang. ok thanks for clarifying.
Yup. Is that bad?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:46 pm

modulus wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:44 pm
CR001 wrote:
Yup. Is that bad?
Yes, she will likely have to switch visa category to FLR(M) spouse visa once you are British. She will need to meet the Engish requirement and financial requirement. Her clock towards ILR/PR will also reset to zero and she will be on a new 5 year route (2 x 2.5 year visas) before she can apply for ILR.

Note also that she will have to pay the visa fees applicable at the time of apply PLUS the Immigration Health Surcharge fee, the IHS fee is likely doubling at the end of the year.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

modulus
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by modulus » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:04 pm

CR001 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:46 pm
modulus wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:44 pm
CR001 wrote:
Yup. Is that bad?
Yes, she will likely have to switch visa category to FLR(M) spouse visa once you are British. She will need to meet the Engish requirement and financial requirement. Her clock towards ILR/PR will also reset to zero and she will be on a new 5 year route (2 x 2.5 year visas) before she can apply for ILR.

Note also that she will have to pay the visa fees applicable at the time of apply PLUS the Immigration Health Surcharge fee, the IHS fee is likely doubling at the end of the year.
Hmm yeah that's not great. So would you not go ahead with UKM then? I guess, we both not sure if we'll be here (in the UK) in 5 years.

What prompted this was she is a USC and can travel fine in Europe. But when we want to go abroad it requires getting once off visa's for me (SA Citizen) even for a short weekend trip for example. It's such a PITA, so she has been going without me. :/

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:07 pm

It is entirely up to you if you want to apply for UKM and change your spouses visa. Was just advising about her current UK visa status if you become British and the costs involved.

As she is USC, she doesn't need to meet the English requirement to switch to FLR(M) spouse visa if you are British.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

modulus
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by modulus » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:33 pm

CR001 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:07 pm
It is entirely up to you if you want to apply for UKM and change your spouses visa. Was just advising about her current UK visa status if you become British and the costs involved.
Ty, that makes sense.
CR001 wrote:
As she is USC, she doesn't need to meet the English requirement to switch to FLR(M) spouse visa if you are British.
Reread this a few times and still confused. I tried Googling but couldn't see anything about US Citizens not needing FLR(M) with a British spouse.

Would you mind elaborating a little?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:36 pm

modulus wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:33 pm
CR001 wrote:
Reread this a few times and still confused. I tried Googling but couldn't see anything about US Citizens not needing FLR(M) with a British spouse.

Would you mind elaborating a little?
I don't understand your question?? I did not say a USC doesn't need FLR(M). I said they don't need the English test requirement to be able to switch to FLR(M).
Char (CR001 not Casa)

modulus
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by modulus » Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:37 pm

CR001 wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:36 pm
I don't understand your question?? I did not say a USC doesn't need FLR(M). I said they don't need the English test requirement to be able to switch to FLR(M).
You're right. Sorry I misread that part.