ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Names on LIUT, BRP and ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

ilovethebeatles

Names on LIUT, BRP and ILR

Post by ilovethebeatles » Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:29 pm

Hello,

I hope someone can give me some experience or thought about the name issue below:

On my passport, my name appears as:
Surname+ Middlename+ Firstname

On my current BRP:
Surname
Middlename + Firstname

On my Life in the UK test certificate: (I used my UK driving license)
First name: Firstname
Middle name: Middlename
Surname: Surname

The reason for the above diffrent orders is because in my culture, people may consider either "Middlename+ Firstname" as a long first names or "Firstname" as short first name so when I filled in my last BRP form (becase there are only two fields Surname and Given names) I enter Surname and Middlename+ Firstname fors these two fields but in the LIUT test it has 3 fields so I entered three separate names for three different fields.

The surname in all above is correct. The only thing is the middle name and first name swapped.

Now, I am applying for ILR in the next month, and because on the form (as I can see from my last BRP application) there are only two fields Surname and Given Names, I am thinking about two options to fill in the ILR form:

1. Surname: Surname and Given names: Middle Name + First Name -> this will match with my current BRP but the two given names swapped compared to my LIUT certificate.
2. Surname: Surname and Given names: First Name + Middle Name -> this will match my LIUT but the two given names swapped compared to my current BRP.

My feeling from reading other similar posts here is that it should be ok both options. But I would like to hear your experience and thought on the above options. Thank you very much.

ilovethebeatles

Re: Names on LIUT, BRP and ILR

Post by ilovethebeatles » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:50 pm

Or can anyone advise if it is ok to change order of given names when aplying for ILR comparing to those on the current LLR BRP card or they must be the same order?

ilovethebeatles

Post by ilovethebeatles » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:52 pm

Hi all again,

Sorry about asking many questions in the same thread but I am preparing for the ILR application soon so a bit anxious.

1. Please could you let me know if the form in this link is for Tier 2 General catagory: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... -07-18.pdf

2. Under Section 1 (page 9) for Main applicant, question 1.4 askes for full name as on passport. Can I enter this order "Surname + Middle Name + First name" as it apears on my passport? I guess it causes now confusion because then in question 1.5 it asks for Surname and Family name.

3. Under section 2 (page 11) it asks only for full name of the spouse without asking for Surname. This causes me uncertainty: Should I enter the order as on my spouse's passport (same as above) or should I swap the surname and first name to make it like the UK's style? (in our culture we don't change surname after marriage so we still keep different surnames).

Thank you very much.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:03 pm

ilovethebeatles wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 7:29 pm
Hello,

I hope someone can give me some experience or thought about the name issue below:

On my passport, my name appears as:
Surname+ Middlename+ Firstname

On my current BRP:
Surname
Middlename + Firstname

On my Life in the UK test certificate: (I used my UK driving license)
First name: Firstname
Middle name: Middlename
Surname: Surname

The reason for the above diffrent orders is because in my culture, people may consider either "Middlename+ Firstname" as a long first names or "Firstname" as short first name so when I filled in my last BRP form (becase there are only two fields Surname and Given names) I enter Surname and Middlename+ Firstname fors these two fields but in the LIUT test it has 3 fields so I entered three separate names for three different fields.

The surname in all above is correct. The only thing is the middle name and first name swapped.

Now, I am applying for ILR in the next month, and because on the form (as I can see from my last BRP application) there are only two fields Surname and Given Names, I am thinking about two options to fill in the ILR form:

1. Surname: Surname and Given names: Middle Name + First Name -> this will match with my current BRP but the two given names swapped compared to my LIUT certificate.
2. Surname: Surname and Given names: First Name + Middle Name -> this will match my LIUT but the two given names swapped compared to my current BRP.
I believe this is the correct form of writing it

My feeling from reading other similar posts here is that it should be ok both options. But I would like to hear your experience and thought on the above options. Thank you very much.
You are overthinking. Complete the ILR application form as required. put your surname in the space provided for surname and your first and middle name is the space for GIVEN NAMES. You are usually advised to put the name as it appears on your passport.
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

ilovethebeatles

Post by ilovethebeatles » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:29 pm

Thank you Djsuccess for your reply. I am a bit anxious and indeed overthinking. Given your suggestion, is it ok if the order of given names is diffrent from the current LLR BRP card?

Note also that on my passport it says only "surname and names" i.e. it does not specify a middle name but we can consider the name in the middle as a middle name.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:46 am

ilovethebeatles wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:29 pm
Thank you Djsuccess for your reply. I am a bit anxious and indeed overthinking. Given your suggestion, is it ok if the order of given names is diffrent from the current LLR BRP card?

Note also that on my passport it says only "surname and names" i.e. it does not specify a middle name but we can consider the name in the middle as a middle name.
Your first name should always come first whenever you are writing two names. so when you have "surname and names" or "surname and given names", it will be surname + First name + Middle name. if asked in a reverse order, it should be First name + Middle name + surname. So your first name should always be written first before your second name (middle name). If you are still worried, then you can keep it as on your current BRP. The only issue is that your middle name is appearing as your first name on the BRP.
You can also write a cover letter to explain. But I believe the application form is straightforward. Full name as on your passport and then next question is Surname/ Family Name
I am not a lawyer and do not claim to be one. All my comments here are based on my opinions, experience and interpretation of the appropriate UKVI guidance documents and immigration rules.

ilovethebeatles

Post by ilovethebeatles » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:47 am

Many thanks Djsuccess. If I keep as it is on my current BRP, then there is no problem with name on my LIUT? I saw some other cases where first name and surname swapped on LIUT and they were fine, then I assume mine should be ok.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:51 am

ilovethebeatles wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:47 am
Many thanks Djsuccess. If I keep as it is on my current BRP, then there is no problem with name on my LIUT? I saw some other cases where first name and surname swapped on LIUT and they were fine, then I assume mine should be ok.
You should be fine. Again, if you see a need to provide clarification, then you can include a cover letter in your application

ilovethebeatles

Post by ilovethebeatles » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:19 pm

Thank you for you advice Djsuccess - it is very helpful for me.

ilovethebeatles

Post by ilovethebeatles » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:17 am

Hello again,

I know I have got useful comments on this but still a bit worried so let me ask the last question about this if anyone can share your experience:

Have you got any problem with changing the order of your given names between LLR and ILR and then passport? My current LLR reads "AA BB" now I want to write it "BB AA" on the form for ILR (surname unchanged of course) to match UK name culture but not sure if it will cause any potential problem with immigration in the future?

Please help sharing your experience about this if you have had a similar case like mine.

Thank you very much again.

ILB

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:30 am

You need to write your name exactly as it appears in your passport!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ilovethebeatles

Post by ilovethebeatles » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:40 am

Hi CR001,

I know it but the problem is on my passport it reads the fullname "SN AA BB" and people in our culture call me by the last word of the given names i.e. BB. On my current LLR, it reads "AA BB" as the given names as it is shown on passport but people in the UK call me by the first word of the given names i.e. AA, Now I want to change the order to make it suit the UK name culture so that people call me right but worried if it causes any problem with application and also immigration in the future.
CR001 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:30 am

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:03 pm

If you want to change your name or name order to be more 'acceptable' in 'British name culture', then change your name by deed poll, get a new passport with the new name and then apply.

Even for citizenship, your name on your naturalisation certificate and British passport will be exactly as it appears in your foreign passport.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:52 pm

ilovethebeatles wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:40 am
Hi CR001,

I know it but the problem is on my passport it reads the fullname "SN AA BB" and people in our culture call me by the last word of the given names i.e. BB. On my current LLR, it reads "AA BB" as the given names as it is shown on passport but people in the UK call me by the first word of the given names i.e. AA, Now I want to change the order to make it suit the UK name culture so that people call me right but worried if it causes any problem with application and also immigration in the future.
CR001 wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:30 am

The fact that people here call you by your first name and at home you are called by your second name doesn't mean you have to change the order of your name. I have been called by my two names by different people, especially when one of my names if a Nigerian name and the other one is English and I have never seen any need to change the order of my name. Like I have said earlier. The application form is straightforward. Your name as it appears on your passport followed by your surname.

ilovethebeatles

Post by ilovethebeatles » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:11 pm

Thank you CR001 and Djsuccess for valuable advices. I will stick to what it is now on my BRP for peace of mind. However, still there is a minor concern.

My full name as on passport appears in this order: "Surname AA BB"

In the ILR application Q1.4 asks for Your full name as in your passport or travel document. Should I write "Surname AA BB" as on passport or "AA BB Surname" as per British name culture?

Q1.5 asks for Surname so I think it is clear but the order of names for Q1.4 again makes me have to choose an option.

Thank you.

Djsuccess
Diamond Member
Nigeria

Post by Djsuccess » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:52 pm

ilovethebeatles wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:11 pm
Thank you CR001 and Djsuccess for valuable advices. I will stick to what it is now on my BRP for peace of mind. However, still there is a minor concern.

My full name as on passport appears in this order: "Surname AA BB"

In the ILR application Q1.4 asks for Your full name as in your passport or travel document. Should I write "Surname AA BB" as on passport or "AA BB Surname" as per British name culture?

Write it as on your passport

Q1.5 asks for Surname so I think it is clear but the order of names for Q1.4 again makes me have to choose an option.
just your surname here

Thank you.

ilovethebeatles

Post by ilovethebeatles » Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:01 pm

Thank you Djsuccess - very much helpful.