ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI after renewing Danish (EU) passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Ducky11

OCI after renewing Danish (EU) passport

Post by Ducky11 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:59 am

Hi All,

A 69 year old friend of mine lives in Denmark & is a Danish (EU) passport holder. She has an OCI, which she acquired in 2016 (she had PIO prior to that, which she acquired in 2006).

Her Danish passport is expiring in a few months & she will be renewing it. Once she does that, does she need to re-apply for OCI? If no then will she have to travel with her old & new passport?

Thanks,
Ducky

jfrusc

Re: OCI after renewing Danish (EU) passport

Post by jfrusc » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:12 pm

I checked this for my children and was directed to the following information, which I subsequently confirmed when submitting the application in person:

http://www.vfsglobal.com/India/UK/pdf/GuidelinesOCI.pdf
3. OCI registration certificate and visa have got to be re-issued by availing this service, each time a new passport is issued up to the completion of 20 years of age and once after completing 50 years of age in view of biological changes in face of the applicant.
Since your friend was over 50 when she acquired her OCI she does not need to request re-issue of her OCI against her new passport. I was also told there is no need to take your old passport with you. I can't remember the link confirming that info now.

Having said all that, one should remember that you're at the behest of Indian Civil servants here. I'm sure we all know why they sometimes choose to interpret the rules differently :( As such, personally, I would take my old passport as well. Or have the OCI re-issued against the new passport. Reissuing is relatively cheap and "simple".

Ducky11

Re: OCI after renewing Danish (EU) passport

Post by Ducky11 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:57 am