ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Universal Credit Joint Application

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

deslumberdoll
Newly Registered
Canada

Tier 4 Visa Student and British Partner's Universal Credit Joint Claim

Post by deslumberdoll » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:14 am

Hi everyone,

I have been looking for information regarding this weird situation my partner and I are currently in.

I am a Tier 4 student visa holder, subject to immigration control, and no access to public funds. On the other hand, My partner of 2.5 years is a natural born British citizen, who has been receiving Universal Credit ("UC") for the past few months.

Recently, we moved into the same place, and Universal Credit is requiring both my partner and I to submit a joint claim.

Although on the UC online guidance website, it states:
"...Only one member of the couple will complete the claim form, but that person will need to enter details for both of you..."
(https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... or-couples)
...the UC website does not allow my partner to submit information on my behalf. Hence, it seems I will have to register as an applicant for UC, which violates my Tier 4 conditions.

Researching online came up mostly empty, as the UK Department for Work & Pensions website only states:
"...If one of you isn’t eligible, their capital and income may still be taken into account"
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... or-couples
...which did not cover on UC application's effect on visa status.

I have also inquired with the UK visa helpline, but all they can offer me is generic advice, without any clue about UC or public funds. Similar result at the Citizen's Advice service and my university's international student support, both were unable to offer detailed information as this situation is quite novel.

Question needing your help to clarify is:

1. Will submitting a joint claim for my partner's UC application violate my Tier 4 Visa conditions?

2. Is there a way for me to submit information for his application, without becoming an applicant or joint applicant of UC myself?

My partner have an interview for his UC next Tuesday, and I am already freaking out.
Any help for this matter or for the interview is greatly appreciated!

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Tier 4 Visa Student and British Partner's Universal Credit Joint Claim

Post by sah10406 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:28 am

deslumberdoll wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:14 am
1. Will submitting a joint claim for my partner's UC application violate my Tier 4 Visa conditions?
Yes.
deslumberdoll wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:14 am
2. Is there a way for me to submit information for his application, without becoming an applicant or joint applicant of UC myself?
This is not a question specific to Tier 4, but about anyone who is subject to immigration control. I advise you post on the Claiming Benefits board

claiming-benefits-f38/

but see also https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... rtner_wh_2
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.

deslumberdoll
Newly Registered
Canada

Universal Credit Joint Application

Post by deslumberdoll » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:09 pm

Hi everyone,

I am a Tier 4 Visa holder, and my partner is a UK citizen. He has been receiving Universal Credit ("UC") for a few months now due to his cancer diagnosis. Recently, we moved into the same place, and UC is requiring both of us to submit financial information due to this joint tenancy.

Although on the UC online guidance website, it states:
"...Only one member of the couple will complete the claim form, but that person will need to enter details for both of you..." (https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... or-couples)
...the UC website does not allow my partner to submit information on my behalf. Hence, it seems I will have to register as an applicant for UC, which violates my Tier 4 conditions.

Question needing your help to clarify is:

Is there a way for me to submit information for his application, without becoming an applicant or joint applicant of UC myself?

My partner and I have an interview for his UC next Tuesday. Any help for this matter or for the interview is greatly appreciated!

Lozzybee
Newly Registered

Re: Universal Credit Joint Application

Post by Lozzybee » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:25 am

HI there,

I was just wondering if you managed to find a solution for this problem, because I am facing a similar situation!

Thanks for your help.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Universal Credit Joint Application

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:29 am

Lozzybee wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:25 am
HI there,

I was just wondering if you managed to find a solution for this problem, because I am facing a similar situation!

Thanks for your help.
Kindly start your own topic with your questions and circumstances instead of tagging onto one that is almost a year old.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.