ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Uncertainty around start, submission date of citizenship application under new system

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

seansilva

Uncertainty around start, submission date of citizenship application under new system

Post by seansilva » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:00 pm

I have the PR (format of BRP) as a family member of EU and in my PR letter from HO states that, I have acquired the PR from 08th of December 2017. Technically I can apply for my British Citizenship on 08th of December 2018. (Please note that, my spouse would like retain her EU citizenship for now)

I am aware of the new process which comes to affect from 05th of November described below.
https://immigrationboards.com/general-u ... 44-20.html

I have read most of the forum posts./ external references, but unfortunately I couldn't find answers to some of the questions like below:
under the new system,
1. how soon can I start the initial application please?
2. Can I start the application now and wait until until 08th of Dec to submit and book an appointment (through Sopra Steria service) in a new service centre?
3. Or can I submit the application now, and book an appointment on or after 08th of Dec?
4. Or I have to wait until 08th of Dec to, even start the online application?

Thank you.

johnhkg
Hong Kong

Re: Uncertainty around start, submission date of citizenship application under new system

Post by johnhkg » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:04 pm

Like you, I am ready to apply for citizenship by naturalisation in December. I have been reading all the relevant posts about the sopra steria provided service centres. Things are far from clear. The gov.uk website has not been updated. It still refers to the old system of NCS, NDRS or postal applications. I have no idea if the current on-line form (AN) will be retained. All I can do is sit and wait to see what others ahead of us find out.

You may be interested to note that some local councils still have appointments for NCS into December (Wokingham for example, not too far from Kingston by train, if they're not on strike). As an option, you could use the paper application and book an NCS appointment with a local council for December 8/9/10 now.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Uncertainty around start, submission date of citizenship application under new system

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:28 pm

The Home Office news article states that "Over the next few months, the majority of paper application forms will be withdrawn .....".

Also "Under the new service, you’ll make your application and pay your application fee online, this will also include your biometric enrolment fee (if applicable). You will also have to pay the immigration health surcharge (if applicable) online before you make your application and include your reference number on your online application.
You’ll then be directed to Sopra Steria’s website to book an appointment at a UKVCAS centre. At this stage, you can choose whether to purchase added-value services. These services will only be available to applicants using the UKVCAS service."

Board members should report their experience and issues with the service, though we probably don't have any more information that has been, or will be, published.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

seansilva

Post by seansilva » Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:44 pm

Thanks for the replies.
According to the gov.uk, (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/ukvis-new-f ... ed-to-know) under the new service, there are mainly two steps.

Step 1
1. make the online application through gov.uk
1.1 Under the new service, you’ll make your application and pay your application fee online
1.2 this will also include your biometric enrolment fee (if applicable)
1.3 You will also have to pay the immigration health surcharge (if applicable) online before you make your application
1.4 include your reference number on your online application.(I think this about assigning a reference number for your application?)

Apparently the online application wizard has following stages:
1.Start - create an account
2.Application
3.Documents
4.Declaration
5.Pay
6. Download and print

We can expect some kind of a completed application form at the end of the process.

Step 2
2. Create an appointment
2.1 You’ll then be directed to Sopra Steria’s website to book an appointment at a UKVCAS centre.
2.2 At this stage, you can choose whether to purchase added-value services. (These services will only be available to applicants using the UKVCAS service.)

My original question, what date from these milestones/stages considered as the application date?

Perhaps I am jumping the gun. :P Government's lack of communication during this process makes it really harder for people. Just waiting for more information in next week.

Ancestor
South Africa

Post by Ancestor » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:10 pm

seansilva wrote:
Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:44 pm
Thanks for the replies.
According to the gov.uk, (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/ukvis-new-f ... ed-to-know) under the new service, there are mainly two steps.

Step 1
1. make the online application through gov.uk
1.1 Under the new service, you’ll make your application and pay your application fee online
1.2 this will also include your biometric enrolment fee (if applicable)
1.3 You will also have to pay the immigration health surcharge (if applicable) online before you make your application
1.4 include your reference number on your online application.(I think this about assigning a reference number for your application?)

2.Application
3.Documents
4.Declaration
5.Pay
6. Download and print

We can expect some kind of a completed application form at the end of the process.

Step 2
2. Create an appointment
2.1 You’ll then be directed to Sopra Steria’s website to book an appointment at a UKVCAS centre.
2.2 At this stage, you can choose whether to purchase added-value services. (These services will only be available to applicants using the UKVCAS service.)

My original question, what date from these milestones/stages considered as the application date?

Perhaps I am jumping the gun. :P Government's lack of communication during this process makes it really harder for people. Just waiting for more information in next week.
I would like to think, having completed and submitted my Application 9th Oct 18 and NDRS appointment on 10th Oct 18, and as the Stages on that Online Application are similar
2.Application
3.Documents
4.Declaration
5.Pay
6. Download and print
that as with that application, the Date of Submission of Application would be the Date you Pay and Submit, as it was with that one.

That Online Application I started completing some 2 to 3 months before submission and payment date when I had satisfied all residence requirements etc.

I am pretty sure the same would apply, unless someone knows specifically otherwise. My understanding was that the introduction of that Online Application in Dec 17/Jan 18 or so, was the precursor testing towards the New System.

codem2013
Spain

Post by codem2013 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:29 pm

My understanding is that the date of the application is the date when you submit it ( when you pay online )...the new front line service (sopra) is just a simpler way to submit your documentation and your biometrics

Sopra will also provide some added value services like translation and checking services..

Having said that, I am not sure if it will be possible to apply for naturalisation and passport at the same time (joint application) with this new UKVAC service

saz1703
Mood:
India

Post by saz1703 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:18 am

Hi All, just to share some information. I would be applying for my naturalisation (via the route - 12 months ILR + Tier 2) along with my wife (same situation). We have been given an appointment for NCS on 30/11/2018.
Now this is really strange as it says that after 29/11/2018 all would be moved to the new process and still my local council have managed to give us an appointment for 30/11/2018. Will call them up today later during the day and get some further information.

Thanks

johnhkg
Hong Kong

Post by johnhkg » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:04 pm

saz1703 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:18 am
Hi All, just to share some information. I would be applying for my naturalisation (via the route - 12 months ILR + Tier 2) along with my wife (same situation). We have been given an appointment for NCS on 30/11/2018.
Now this is really strange as it says that after 29/11/2018 all would be moved to the new process and still my local council have managed to give us an appointment for 30/11/2018. Will call them up today later during the day and get some further information.

Thanks
I think you are OK to proceed with NCS because, correct me if I'm wrong, it involves the paper application, not the online application. NCS is a process that provides some expert checking of your application and supporting documents. The new process will have something similar but not available until January 2019.