ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Use of public funds by a visitor on Holiday due to medical emergency

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

al12344
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Use of public funds by a visitor on Holiday due to medical emergency

Post by al12344 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:37 pm

What are the obligations and implications for the visitor and sponsor, in case the visitor who is on holiday in UK meets with a Medical Emergency and is hospitalized for a long duration. Please throw some light on the same.

vinny

Re: Use of public funds by a visitor on Holiday due to medical emergency

Post by vinny » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:47 pm

NHS hospital treatment:
To find out if you can get free hospital treatment, see information for those visiting or moving to England on the NHS Choices website.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

al12344
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by al12344 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:15 pm

The attachment details the eligible treatment etc.

I know they are not covered by NHS as they are visitor, They had come here with an insurance but the insurance does not cover the whole treatment and it was a medical emergency which was unexpected. So need to understand what are the obligations and implications of the situation as a visitor and a sponsor??

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:57 pm

As I understand it, the visitor will be charged at 150% of cost by the NHS. S/he is expected to clear the NHS debt or have a repayment plan in place before any future visits as otherwise the debt, if exceeding £500, can be used as a basis for refusal of future visas. I do not know if the costs can be recovered from the sponsor.

A&E is exempt from charges, but not emergency treatment after being admitted to hospital.

Also see a whole stack of guidance documents in NHS visitor and migrant cost recovery programme.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.