ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration?

Post by PasadenaTom » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:48 pm

My mother and I were both born in Worcester Massachusetts. My grandparents and parents were also married there. The birth certificates I obtained from the city included
  • Mother's maiden name, place of birth (city or country), and current residence (city)
  • Father's name and place of birth
I ordered the certificates from the city online. There was no option presented to me for a long form or short form certificate. Thankfully, what was sent to me was the long form.

My grandparent's and parent's marriage certificates had
  • Groom's name, age, occupation, and current residence (city)
  • Groom's place of birth (city or country)
  • Groom's father's name and mother's maiden name
  • Bride's name, age, occupation, and current residence (city)
  • Bride's place of birth (city or country)
  • Bride's father's name and mother's maiden name
FWIW, my grandparents ages on the marriage certificate were wrong.

My grandfather's and mother's death certificates listed their
  • Place of birth
  • Occupation
  • Parents names
  • Place of death and location of burial.
As some of you know, I successfully gained entry in the FBR in July of this year. So what I submitted was acceptable - at least three months ago.

Bluegill
United States of America

Post by Bluegill » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:08 pm

PasadenaTom wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:48 pm
My mother and I were both born in Worcester Massachusetts. My grandparents and parents were also married there. The birth certificates I obtained from the city included
  • Mother's maiden name, place of birth (city or country), and current residence (city)
  • Father's name and place of birth
I ordered the certificates from the city online. There was no option presented to me for a long form or short form certificate. Thankfully, what was sent to me was the long form.

My grandparent's and parent's marriage certificates had
  • Groom's name, age, occupation, and current residence (city)
  • Groom's place of birth (city or country)
  • Groom's father's name and mother's maiden name
  • Bride's name, age, occupation, and current residence (city)
  • Bride's place of birth (city or country)
  • Bride's father's name and mother's maiden name
FWIW, my grandparents ages on the marriage certificate were wrong.

My grandfather's and mother's death certificates listed their
  • Place of birth
  • Occupation
  • Parents names
  • Place of death and location of burial.
As some of you know, I successfully gained entry in the FBR in July of this year. So what I submitted was acceptable - at least three months ago.

More than likely the above poster is using a very short form birth certificate.

My grandmother was married in England but her marriage cert doesn't list her place of birth, otherwise it includes everything the cert you used included.

jpauls
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by jpauls » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:10 pm

Yes, my mom is still living. I found out what my error was -- I did not specify that my use for the birth certificates was for obtaining dual citizenship (I already had my own at the time). Apparently they issue you a slightly different certificate for that.

The one I did order included my moms date of birth, her place of birth, and both her parents names. Not her parents ages or anything like that. So in the US, that is considered a long form certificate. I didn't know there would be a difference when I ordered it.

I called both the counties back today and made sure to specify that the new ones would be used for dual citizenship and they're on the way now. I wish I would have known about the difference in certificates in the first place!

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:37 am

I was worried over this. Myself and my cousin applied online exactly one week apart, we sent our documents in the same package but separated via Fedex overnight international. Our applications are similar as we both have the same grandmother and mothers are sisters. The birth, Marriage, second marriage (widowed) and death certificates of our grandmother were sent in duplicate as well as copies, one for each application. Then her mothers birth, marriage and death. Then my mothers birth, marriage and second marriage (windowed) and death certificates. Then her birth and my birth certificates. Making a total of 17 certificates what we had to aquire at 15-20 dollars each, I was a bit panicked as I paid for all but one of the certificates as a gift and also for the FBR applications and shipping.

Im glad you sorted it out ! I think I am 4 weeks behind you using the date the documents were recieved.

So, if the date Dublin received the documents is a solid baseline, We shall see how this pans out as my cousin and I showed the documents being received on 8/20 according to fedex and 8/21 according to the conformation email from Dublin. I wonder if my cousin will be notified first as she applied online one week before me or if we will both get notifications at the same time as both our documents were received the same day or will our applications be assigned to different DFA employees or if the two marriages of my mother (windowed) play any factor as her mother was only married once. Its anyone’s guess!!

Just hoping to hear some good news soon!

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:13 am

Michael123 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:37 am
... if the two marriages of my mother (windowed) play any factor as her mother was only married once. Its anyone’s guess!!
My guess is it will not be a factor. Your documents provide a complete picture of your family from your grandmother's birth to you.

While immigration, citizenship, and national security are "hot button" issues in the USA, they are in other countries too. So no doubt Ireland wants to avoid fraudulent claims by requiring a chain of documents between generations, with all the documents supporting one another so that they fully tell your story.

It wasn't until I started pursuing FBR that I looked at what it takes to become a citizen in any country. It's not easy. So we are among a group of very fortunate people who have had this offer extended to us.

As with me, your waiting game will come to an end! Then like me, you will have to find other things to consume your time (though planning a trip to Ireland will be one of mine).

mcgee1992
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by mcgee1992 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:44 am

CathW21 wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:17 pm
I sent my application and all documents off in November 2017. Received email on 29 March saying that I should apply to the Inter-country adoption. So now going down that route. I had thought that because my grandfather was born in Ireland and my mother was born in the UK (never applied for Irish passport) that I would have to go down the FBR route, there is nothing on the FBR pages stating that if you are adopted into a family that you need to go through the Inter-country adoption which I had never heard of until being contacted by Dublin.

So I now have no idea how long the Intercountry-Adoption will take, luckily I had all the information and documents they needed (although I had to apply for another copy of my marriage and birth certificate (adoption), my wonderful parents had given me previously all the adoption documents so that saved sometime.

Has anyone else had this happen and had to go down this route?
Did you end up registering with the Adoption Authority in Ireland? I'm doing the same as we speak...

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:41 am

PasadenaTom wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:13 am
Michael123 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:37 am
... if the two marriages of my mother (windowed) play any factor as her mother was only married once. Its anyone’s guess!!
My guess is it will not be a factor. Your documents provide a complete picture of your family from your grandmother's birth to you.

While immigration, citizenship, and national security are "hot button" issues in the USA, they are in other countries too. So no doubt Ireland wants to avoid fraudulent claims by requiring a chain of documents between generations, with all the documents supporting one another so that they fully tell your story.

It wasn't until I started pursuing FBR that I looked at what it takes to become a citizen in any country. It's not easy. So we are among a group of very fortunate people who have had this offer extended to us.

As with me, your waiting game will come to an end! Then like me, you will have to find other things to consume your time (though planning a trip to Ireland will be one of mine).
Amen, and thank you for your assistance and opinion with my documents, you have made my day much better.

I look forward to the results of JPauls application, I hope you have a speedy resolve to your document issue.

I had sent my application and my cousins application togeather with all supporting documents together. The weight factor was probably at least double then any single application and it was something just under 100.00 US Dollars for next day international shipping. I would suggest this to you JPauls for a speedy return for that well anticipated “Congratulations” email (if applicable, as some do not get that)

Looking foward to hearing more on everyones progress.

Yes Tom, we are fortunate! I consider myself even more lucky! My great grandparents came to the USA several times and a few of my grandmothers siblings were born in the US, but on a return trip to Ireland... my grandmother was born in Cork!

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:51 am

mcgee1992 wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:44 am
CathW21 wrote:
Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:17 pm
Did you end up registering with the Adoption Authority in Ireland? I'm doing the same as we speak...
You should probably post a new question to the forum. You are responding to a comment that was made over six months ago, by someone who has not posted anything since then. They may not be participating here any more.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:36 am

Tom, any idea how many citizenships someone can obtain? Not specific by method, but can how many is legal by US law? I know dual ( 2 ) is allowed but Tri (3) ?

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:49 am

The United States has no prohibition against acquiring other citizenships. According to the U.S. State Department website:

"A U.S. citizen may naturalize in a foreign state without any risk to his or her U.S. citizenship"

I have a work colleague who has Lebanese, Armenian, and U.S. citizenship.

The limiting factor will be the citizenship laws of other countries. Some do not allow it at all (China and Japan I think are a couple). The rules for citizenship by descent varies by country. Ireland is comparatively liberal in allowing the grandchildren of Irish born emigrants to request it. Other countries only allow the children of their emigrants to do so. I think Britain is one of those.

Some allow multiple generations removed from emigrant's home country. I believe Greece is one. Italy apparently allows it for several generations, but it is apparently a very slow process (2-5 years). There's also some weird rules about whether or not an ancestor naturalized in the US or renounced Italian citizenship. It doesn't apply to me, but I have a friend who did some research.

In addition to two Irish grandparents, I had two Polish grandparents. Poland does allow you to claim citizenship through grandparents, but only if they left Poland after it became an independent country in 1918. Mine left around 1905. Regardless, I think it is a more complex process that would require getting an attorney in Poland to help, and to have all your documents translated into Polish. Anyway, both Ireland and Poland are EU members. So a Polish citizenship and passport wouldn't seem to offer any incremental benefits. And I don't speak Polish.

I believe that anyone who is Jewish has the "Right of Return" for Israel, which would allow them to apply for citizenship.

Some other things you might have to watch out for are things like mandatory military service or other obligations in another country. Taxation could be an issue. Generally, the US requires its citizens to file/pay taxes in the US, no matter where you live. If you spent most of your time in Ireland, you would still have to file US tax returns. The US does have tax treaties with Ireland and other countries. So, I don't think you'd pay more than whichever country charges the most. If you want to eliminate your US tax obligations, you'd have to renounce your citizenship, which costs around $2,400 (maybe more). If you do that and want your citizenship back, you need to apply for residency, just like every other foreigner.

This is an agglomeration of information I picked up perusing the web. But if anyone is truly interested in citizenship in another country, please don't take what I write as definitive.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:40 am

And that is why I asked you!

As you know, my grandmother was born in Ireland. But my grandfather was born in Scotland, to my understanding I would need to persue the UK’s version of the FBR if that even exists.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:26 am

Michael123 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:40 am
And that is why I asked you!

As you know, my grandmother was born in Ireland. But my grandfather was born in Scotland, to my understanding I would need to persue the UK’s version of the FBR if that even exists.
No "FBR" process in the UK.

You would need to look into British registration on form UKM and read up on the Romein case.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

jpauls
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by jpauls » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:49 pm

I sent off my two new birth certificates this morning. After receiving them yesterday, it's amazing how much more info they put on it when it's for the purpose of dual citizenship.

Dublin should receive them next week (sent directly to the employee processing my application) and I'm hoping that will be the last piece of info they need to approve my citizenship. Will hopefully have an update in the next couple weeks!

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:52 pm

Thank you.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:54 pm

jpauls wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:49 pm
I sent off my two new birth certificates this morning. After receiving them yesterday, it's amazing how much more info they put on it when it's for the purpose of dual citizenship.

Dublin should receive them next week (sent directly to the employee processing my application) and I'm hoping that will be the last piece of info they need to approve my citizenship. Will hopefully have an update in the next couple weeks!

Excellent, please keep us updated. If I recall, I am about 3-4 weeks behind you. Hopefully there are not too many other applications between us.

brawn401
Mood:
Ireland

Post by brawn401 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:20 pm

jpauls wrote:
Will hopefully have an update in the next couple weeks!
Hey jpauls - good luck with the final stage! Out of curiousity when did you apply?

jpauls
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by jpauls » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:43 pm

brawn401 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:20 pm
jpauls wrote:
Will hopefully have an update in the next couple weeks!
Hey jpauls - good luck with the final stage! Out of curiousity when did you apply?

My application was received in Dublin on July 12th.

mcgee1992
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by mcgee1992 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:18 am

Anyone who is adopted trying to submit their docs to Adoption Authority Ireland? Trying to figure out how long that process generally takes :)

Luckily I have all the other FBR required docs (or at least i hope so!) so I can apply straight after receiving the adoption certificate. Another step, but a necessary one clearly.

side bar: i think ive read every single page in this forum so cheers for the helpful info!

bluemoon2

Post by bluemoon2 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:17 am

Aizaz wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:41 am
Hi bluemoon ,,, I have applied 13 months ago , I have contacted xxxx he said about DNA and stamp entry exit date etc as I Told few months ago in the post but he said if they refused and,,, but now
Bluemoon if you really understand the pain and the process we are going though it’s a big stressed and anxiety,I only request you if you can’t ask
Many question rather then tell about name of xxxxl or letter your xxxxxx send... I am booking xxxxxxxx appointment but she isn’t busy till next 10 days if you straight away non English text removed by moderator name nothing harm to you if not don’t worry anyway if still bro best of luck ,, don’t know about this site to send pm .. thanks
Non English text removed by moderator .
Sorry for late reply as I just read it now . Best of luck bro .

brawn401
Mood:
Ireland

Post by brawn401 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:13 am

jpauls wrote:
My application was received in Dublin on July 12th.
Oh blimey, that's great! I suppose this is where the waiting game gets frustrating as my docs were received by the Embassy on the 2nd July.

I have been keeping a tally of people's dates that they have mentioned on this board for when they applied and when they received confirmation - it does seem that the trend is that applications from the USA are faster than from the UK.

I'll continue waiting with baited breath!!

Milkybeer
Newly Registered

Post by Milkybeer » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:28 pm

Hi

I've read through all the posts on this page (took me a while) but I have a couple of questions I cannot find answers to and wondered if anyone can help. Background: I am UK born and applying from here with my sister for FBR through my maternal grandparent. We have all the require documents and have sent them off today.

1. I had our passports certified by the post office. Will they be accepted or are they likely to ask for them to be certified by a solicitor? I saw someone had his done at the post office but couldn't find if they were accepted.

2. My mum is an Irish Citizen by birth as a result of her mum being Irish born but wants to apply for her Irish passport which she has never held. Will it jeopardise or hold up our application for fbr if she does it while our applications are being processed?

Thanks for any help.

PMB123
Newly Registered

Post by PMB123 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:58 pm

Re Milkybeer:

The Irish DFAT specifies who needs to witness your FBR application, it can be:

Member of the Clergy
Medical Doctor
School Principal
Bank Manager
Solicitor/Lawyer/Commissioner for Oaths
Police Officer
Magistrate/Judge

The Post Office won't be any use.

And your mothers passport application will have no bearing on your FBR application.

Good luck.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:24 pm

If your mother was born in Ireland, you are automatically an Irish Citizen. You do not need to register with the FBR, you can skip this step and go directly to the passport application process. Assuming you and your sister have the same mother, that would also apply to her.

Milkybeer
Newly Registered

Post by Milkybeer » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:19 pm

PMB123 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:58 pm
Re Milkybeer:

The Irish DFAT specifies who needs to witness your FBR application, it can be:

Member of the Clergy
Medical Doctor
School Principal
Bank Manager
Solicitor/Lawyer/Commissioner for Oaths
Police Officer
Magistrate/Judge

The Post Office won't be any use.

And your mothers passport application will have no bearing on your FBR application.

Good luck.
Thanks for your response but I think you misunderstood the question.

I have had a head teacher be the witness to the application but the British passports needed notorized or certified copies. I had ours certified by the post office in the UK but I now think this may not be accepted.

Milkybeer
Newly Registered

Post by Milkybeer » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:21 pm

Michael123 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:24 pm
If your mother was born in Ireland, you are automatically an Irish Citizen. You do not need to register with the FBR, you can skip this step and go directly to the passport application process. Assuming you and your sister have the same mother, that would also apply to her.
My mother was born in the UK but her mother was Irish so she has citizenship but never applied for a passport.

My sister and I have just started the application via the grandparent route but now my mother wants to apply for her Irish passport. I just wondered if this would have any affect on our application.