ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Traveling in Europe in April 2019

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

barbapapa

Traveling in Europe in April 2019

Post by barbapapa » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:50 am

Hi we are planning to travel in Europe in April 2019 just after brexit 2 years decisions.

I am french/english and my wife is Indian. She got a residence card and since she lived more than 5 years continuously in UK she also has right of permanent residence (did not apply for the card though)

Since I am French, we should be able to travel freely in Europe (except ironically France itself but do not plan to go there for that trip) with our marriage certificate in hand.

My question is : would my wife be allowed to come back to the UK in the case there were no deal?
After all it is only a decision to be taken by the UK.

Thanks

tweety0211

Re: Traveling in Europe in April 2019

Post by tweety0211 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:09 pm

I am Non EU married to EU. I traveled to Europe with expired Residence Card (expired in February 2018).
I had no problems at whatsoever on the UK border. I gave only my current passport that had no Residence Card in it. No one asked me to see my Residence Card.
However, I was questioned in one of Baltic countries, but I told them they had no clue or right to question me, so they just let me go. I traveled outside EU and had no problem either. On some of my travels I went with my husband and some on my own.

Hope this helps.

barbapapa

Post by barbapapa » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:42 am

Thanks for your reply

My main worry is whether the UK will consider the valid (non-expired) residence card to decide if my wife can get in the country after Brexit.

In other words, does its permanent residence status still gives her right to entry to the UK, after Brexit ?

tweety0211

Post by tweety0211 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:57 am

Transition period ends in 2021, so I am assuming we're all fine until then. However, I do believe that it all depends on immigration officer's mood.

barbapapa

Post by barbapapa » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:09 am

Ok, yes just want to be certain :)

Actually our children, while they are dual french/british, they do not have french passport nor a french id card. I was assuming it would be easy to apply for an id card but I just found out they require us to go to London in person (including the children) for that. As such they won't have a proof of their french nationality, unless we do a return trip to London (which we rather not do).

Does that transition period gives them right to travel in Europe too ?
Would the European countries accept them ?

I wish Brexit never happened :)