ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Residence card and the new Pre-settled status

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Jlvyver
Newly Registered
South Africa

Residence card and the new Pre-settled status

Post by Jlvyver » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:45 pm

Hi all,

So I am a non-eea family member of an eea spouse. We are moving to the UK this month, me with an EEA family permit, and I will then apply for further right to live in the UK with my wife.

My question is how to proceed with this. The EEA family permit is valid for 6 months, during which time i need to apply for the next longer duration residence card. But, the new application for pre-settled status comes into full effect as of March next year.

Is there any use in applying now for a residence card, and not just waiting until i can make application for the pre-settled status? I have heard in any event stories of the residence card applications dragging for months and do not widh to be without my passport for so long.

aarontran2506
Newly Registered
Vietnam

Re: Residence card and the new Pre-settled status

Post by aarontran2506 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:05 pm

I think you should just wait for the new pre-settled status to come into full effect and apply for it. Your Family Permit does indeed expire after 6 months, however it doesn't mean you become an overstayer. Your EU right of free movement is automatic and that family permit is just a piece of proof to show people that you can stay.

I have read somewhere that Sajid Javid claimed the new system will be fully implemented in March 2019 so your 6 month Family Permit duration should rightly cover you up until that. The only problem would be if your employer insists on seeing some hard evidence longer than 6 months, well if that's the case, my limited knowledge can only suggest you apply for the residence card. However, I think the wise moderators and experienced members on this forum may have better recommendations for you