ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 4 visa swap

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

peterrowe10
Newly Registered
United States of America

Tier 4 visa swap

Post by peterrowe10 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:59 pm

Hi there,

My wife and I currently live in Edinburgh as I am studying at the University of Edinburgh. I have a Tier 4 General Visa and she a Tier 4 Dependent Visa.

My wife would like to pursue postgrad. studies next year after I finish my degree, so in effect, we would need to 'swap' our visas. She would need a Tier 4 General, and I would need to become her dependent.

Does anyone know if this is possible and if so, what this process entails/looks like? Has anyone done this before?

Thanks in advance!

Peter

sah10406
Diamond Member

Re: Tier 4 visa swap

Post by sah10406 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:05 am

For the very short list of who can make a Tier 4 (General) application in the UK, see

https://www.gov.uk/tier-4-general-visa/ ... -this-visa

As you will see, it does not include someone who currently has a PBS Dependant visa. She will need to apply in your home country.

It is different for a PBS Dependant applications. Almost anyone can apply in the UK, except people with short-term leave like visitor or short-term student. Someone in your position can either make the PBS Dependant application in their home country at the same time as the spouse is applying for Tier 4 or, if they are not going home with the spouse, they can apply in the UK after the spouse has obtained their Tier 4 visa overseas.
I do not give immigration advice. I refer you to Immigration Rules, guidance, other online content and to your sponsor.