ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizen through previous annuled marriage - can it be revoked

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Lully500
Newly Registered

British Citizen through previous annuled marriage - can it be revoked

Post by Lully500 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:49 am

I am really pleased to find this forum. I wonder if you ca help me. I was married to my first husband in 1993. He left for Nigeria to look after his poorly father and never returned since then. I was later told he had died in a car crash in nigeria which helped me to move on with my life. In bliss ignorant without divorce or declaring been a widow I remarried in 1995 which lasted 16yrs with 2 children now 21 and 23 ys old. During financial procedings, my ex broughtup the case of bigamy against saying that he was not aware that I was married before and that the marriage is void because he did not want me to have a share in the two properties we both worked hard for.

The final hearing was yesterday and the judge declared the marriage null and void but I am to re apply for financial settlement based on the fact that we lived together as husband and wife

Since I got my indefinite stay through marriage wit him that enabled me obtained British natiinality,He now want to contact immigration to find out if I it can be revoked please help

kayden636
BANNED

Re: British Citizen through previous annuled marriage - can it be revoked

Post by kayden636 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:42 pm

yes as its case off deception

trilobite1981
Mood:

Post by trilobite1981 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:11 pm

Lully500 wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:49 am
I am really pleased to find this forum. I wonder if you ca help me. I was married to my first husband in 1993. He left for Nigeria to look after his poorly father and never returned since then. I was later told he had died in a car crash in nigeria which helped me to move on with my life. In bliss ignorant without divorce or declaring been a widow I remarried in 1995 which lasted 16yrs with 2 children now 21 and 23 ys old. During financial procedings, my ex broughtup the case of bigamy against saying that he was not aware that I was married before and that the marriage is void because he did not want me to have a share in the two properties we both worked hard for.

The final hearing was yesterday and the judge declared the marriage null and void but I am to re apply for financial settlement based on the fact that we lived together as husband and wife

Since I got my indefinite stay through marriage wit him that enabled me obtained British natiinality,He now want to contact immigration to find out if I it can be revoked please help
I dont think your nationality will be revoked under the given circumstances. It has been done very very rarely under different circumstances. One of my friends had been in the same sort of situation and tried to revoke his ex-wife's ILR but he couldnt (shame on him). Even if the HO contact you (very unlikely) you have a strong case to be a British. Don't make the situation bother you, live your life!

bluebird12
Pakistan

Post by bluebird12 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:01 am

Yes , there are chances that your British citizenship and ILR can be revoked if proved deception but you will be able to stay in Uk on basis of your British children, and in that situation you will have to start immigration journey from beginning again.

It could cost you just all Applications fees between £ 12,000 upto £17,000 approximately, in order to become British citizen again if they put you on 10 years family life route . A wait of approximately minimum another 10 years ...

If proved deception then criminal record as well which prevent people from applying for ILR and citizenship for number of years ...
I am sorry this is not the answer you were expecting to hear that but however I could be totally wrong , so please do not rely on my informations ....
so in this situation it is best idea to have a professional advice from a expert qualified person.

Lully500
Newly Registered

Post by Lully500 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:54 pm

I was married to my first husband in 1993. remarried in 1995 after my first husband left me for Nigeria to care for his Poorly father and never returned to the uk.

He was no where to be found. About 5months after he left, it was alleged that he died in a car crash in Nigeria which helped me to move on with my life.

I remarried in 1995 which lasted 16yrs with 2 children. My husband divorced me and Decree absolute prononounced in 2014. I then applied for financial procedings. My ex rang me and advised If I go ahead with the proceeding he would ensure I am sent to prison.

He brought up a case of bigamy against me saying that he was not aware of my previous marriage and I have decieved him into marrying him by declaring on our marriage certificate that I was a spinster.

He was clearly aware of the situation and we both agree to go ahead with the marriage since I could not declare a widow and there was no death certificate to proof my 1st husbands death.

He got the police involved but the police said it was a waste of time, they did all there search on the 1st husband no success. They came to the conclusion that our marriage seem genuine and they would not go ahead with his accusation.

At the last court hearing the marriage was pronounced null and void. I was then strongly advised by the judge to get a solicitor in order to help me with fiancial claim as unmarried couples.

He is now asking if my British citizen can be revoked because it was through marriage to me that I got my indefinite stay that enabled me a british citizenship.We have 2 children 21 and 23 and 2 houses in the marriage which we both worked hard for. Though solely in his name

Can I be stripped off my british citizenship? Can the home office not be considerate in this cirumstance

I have worked hard in this country, not knowing that I was living with him in blisss ignorance all this years.

I have not comitted any crime other than this alleged bigamy. Just need to know where I stand

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:56 pm

Why have you posted your query again?

Have you read any of the responses you have been given already?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Lully500
Newly Registered

Post by Lully500 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:44 pm

I have not heard anything from the home office yet. Maybe he hasnt reported. Just wondering if I should proceed with the financial settlement since I am enitled to do that

I also need advice on what to do in regards to the 1st marriage. He is no where to be found done everything to find him no success since 1993. How do I move on from been married to him?

Please help!

Lully500
Newly Registered

Post by Lully500 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:18 pm

Thank you so much for all the replies. Really appreciate xx

It is just I was expecting more positive answers and may be advise on what to do from here. I feel I should contact the home office b myself to see where I stand . Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:49 pm

if you genuinely thought that your husband had died and you are a widow, then there is no issue. You citizenship will not be revoked.

This your ex husband seems like a very unpleasant person.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

bluebird12
Pakistan

Post by bluebird12 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:59 pm

You need to contact a solicitor who will apply divorce in County Court from your First Husband even if you could not trace him or he has died . Once Court has issued Decree Absolute then you are free to marry again if want to.... There is always a legal process to follow to sort out things , if you have applied divorce at that time you would not have to go through all these problems now ...