ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Right of Abode Renewal

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

margnic
Newly Registered
Australia

Right of Abode Renewal

Post by margnic » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:50 am

Hi

I hold Right of Abode in the UK because I am a female Commonwealth Citizen previously married to a UK Citizen (before 1983). My current passport expires late next year and will be renewed in the first half of the year. My RoA Certificate is valid until passport expiry at the end of the year.

As this is the first time I have had to renew my RoA I am seeking some advice:

1. When I renew the passport it will be cancelled but the Certificate is still valid until the expiry date later in the year. I assume that I can apply for a new certificate as soon as I renew my passport despite the current certificate still remaining valid beyond that. Is that correct, or does it need to expire before renewal?

2. I live in the UK but travel quite a lot outside the UK and return to Australia regularly. I am trying to limit my time without a passport as much as possible given the current timings of RoA applications in the UK.. Am I legally able to apply for my renewal while I am in Australia, through the "outside the UK" channel?

3. If this is an option does anyone have any information on the current processing times for applications made from Australia?

I find the whole process a bit frustrating as those of us with RoA are made to fill in a form that is more relevant to a visiting visa and there is a lot of immigration/financial information that is just not relevant, given I'm not subject to immigration. When is the Home Office actually going to treat this in a more streamlined manner?

Many thanks in advance for any help/advice offered.

Margaret

vinny

Re: Right of Abode Renewal

Post by vinny » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:32 pm

1. I think you may apply for a CoE-RoA as soon as you have a new passport.
2. I think you may apply from anywhere.

Not sure about waiting times.

Although you are not British, having a CoE-RoA comes close to being British. So, I’ve moved your topic to the British sub forum.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:40 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

margnic
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by margnic » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:21 pm

vinny wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:32 pm
1. I think you may apply for a CoE-RoA as soon as you have a new passport.
2. I think you may apply from anywhere.

Not sure about waiting times.

Although you are not British, having a CoE-RoA comes close to being British. So, I’ve moved your topic to the British sub forum.
Thanks Vinny. I did read the UK waiting times - that's what worries me really. I was hoping I might have better luck doing it from Australia :)
Margaret