ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spelling of the Cyrillic name in the Irish passport

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

kseni
Russia

Spelling of the Cyrillic name in the Irish passport

Post by kseni » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:26 pm

Hey guys,
I'm having a question about the name spelling in Irish passport following naturalization.
I'm from Russia so naturally my name is written in Cyrillic. So far I've had 3 Russian travel passports and in each, my first and last names were transliterated differently by Russian authorities. Obviously the names didn't change at all, although it looks different outside of Russia :roll:
The latest version of my name's spelling is not my favourite - Kseniia instead of Ksenia, where double ii doesn't make any sense and difference pronunciation wise but only confuses people. But that would be the spelling used in all my documents submitted for naturalization.
Now, INIS is saying I would need to use the name from the naturalization cert (with ii).
Still, in the application for the Irish passport, you can put a few versions of your name - one from say the naturalization cert in my case and one from the birth cert.
So say I arrange a birth cert translated without ii and provide it along with the passport application, would they print both names in the passport?
Would you say it's beneficial to have both name versions there?
If they do print both versions of the name, can I safely use Ksenia instead of Kseniia in any official documents based on Irish passport then?
Thanks in advance and sorry for the ridiculousness of the matter :oops:

qwerty1234
Newly Registered
Ireland

Re: Spelling of the Cyrillic name in the Irish passport

Post by qwerty1234 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:51 pm

Hello, my name is Dmitrii :D

long story short - you can't... trust my experience.

qwerty1234
Newly Registered
Ireland

Re: Spelling of the Cyrillic name in the Irish passport

Post by qwerty1234 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:00 pm

Update:
Read more carefully - I am not sure if they print any alternative version, they require it to match with the Certificate when you apply for the passport.

But I dont think it will cause any problems if you want to use your preferable spelling different from your Irish or Russian passport. For the bank or revenue i'm Dmitry, GNIB card used to be Dmitrii, for the Driving license - Dmitrii, etc. Never had any problems.