ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Registering a Foreign Birth (Grandfather on Fathers Side - Documentation Query)

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

samsabout
Newly Registered

Registering a Foreign Birth (Grandfather on Fathers Side - Documentation Query)

Post by samsabout » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:19 am

Hi,

This might possibly have been asked before, but I couldn't find anything further to a search. Sorry if this is the case.

I'm looking to register myself as a foreign birth through my grandfather on my father's side and understand from the government website, that I require for both my father and grandfather, an original long form birth certificate, original civil marriage certificate and certified copies of either their current passport photo page or death certificates as appropriate.

With regards to the above, my surname remains the same as my Grandfathers and my Fathers and in this respect, I wondered if it was required that I provide the marriage certificates? I'd assume that these might only need to be provided in the event of a name change through marriage.

I note on the website that it also asks for the detailed documentation of spouses also, however, I read elsewhere that this is not a requirement in my situation. This is where I am to apply through my father's grandfather.

In case it is important to my query, my father is not an Irish citizen, but my grandfather was.

If someone who has been through the process could clear this up for me, it would be very much appreciated. Please do not hesitate to ask for more information from me should it be useful for answering.

Many thanks,

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Re: Registering a Foreign Birth (Grandfather on Fathers Side - Documentation Query)

Post by PasadenaTom » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:33 am

I don't expect anyone here to know the precise answer, though I'm sure others have had similar questions. I completed FBR via my mother's father and wondered why my marriage certificate was needed. I have two brothers, one divorced, and the other never married. While neither is pursuing FBR, assuming we all applied at the same time, how would they know which of us is is missing a marriage or divorce certificate if none were supplied? Regardless, I sent what was specified.

I can only speculate as to why they want them, as I have found nothing that describes why they want them. But consider the fact that a your marriage certificate has the same information as a your birth certificate; your name, and your parents names. The same is true for the certificates for your parent and grandparent. So that means you have two official documents for each person that confirms identity. That certainly makes your documentation very solid.

Unfortunately, I think we can assume that there are people who would like to obtain passports for illicit purposes. So while the Irish government is happy to extend the privilege of citizenship to the grandchildren of its emigrants, they also want to be sure you really are who you say you are.

You might consider contacting them to see if they really need those documents. Otherwise, since they explicitly ask for them, and they don't mention any situations when they are not necessary, I think you should assume they are all required.

samsabout
Newly Registered

Re: Registering a Foreign Birth (Grandfather on Fathers Side - Documentation Query)

Post by samsabout » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:47 am

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. Come to think of it, that they would want marriage certificates to further legitimise the application is pretty sound reasoning.

I'll be sure to request them and get them over with my application.