ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Renounce British Citizenship for Right to Abode

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

bluekoala
Newly Registered

Renounce British Citizenship for Right to Abode

Post by bluekoala » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:57 am

Hi all, I know this is quite a rare case but I would like to know if anyone has had experience renouncing their British Citizenship for the right to Abode due to dual nationality limitations.

My status:
I currently hold the citizenship of another country (non commonwealth) and a UK citizenship.
I lived in the UK for 18 years, and went through the 5 year route to get my ILR before neutralising and getting my British Citizenship.
The laws of the other country forbids me to have dual nationality.
I got my British citizenship in 2006
I want to renounce my British citizenship but still retain the freedom of traveling and working in the UK.

From what I have read online, it seems that it is possible to get the right of abode by renouncing my British citizenship and submitting an application of right to Abode using my other country's passport and the certificate of neutralisation.

Has anyone done this before? Any help is appreciated. Cheers

vinny

Re: Renounce British Citizenship for Right to Abode

Post by vinny » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:21 am

No. If you renounce British citizenship, then you won't have the Right of Abode any more. There are no provisions for a non British, non Commonwealth citizen to have the Right of Abode.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:29 am

However, a British citizen may apply for a CoE-RoA instead of a British passport.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

bluekoala
Newly Registered

Post by bluekoala » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:35 pm

vinny wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:29 am
However, a British citizen may apply for a CoE-RoA instead of a British passport.
Hi Vinny, that is my understanding as well, any idea of the process and time it takes?

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:08 am

See also timelines.