ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

First UK Passport with foreign born parents

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

secret.simon

Re: First UK Passport with foreign born parents

Post by secret.simon » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:55 am

Merging your threads so that anybody responding has a fuller picture of your circumstance.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

wellwellwell
Newly Registered

Post by wellwellwell » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:19 pm

Hi all,

So after a bit more learning I have found that my parents both must have had ILR or PR because they took out a mortgage in the years before I was born. Apparently you would not be able to do this if you were not "settled"?

Just trying to find/access/potentially order some documents to send to prove this was true around the time of my birth.

Are P45/national insurance numbers of my parents of any use here?

(p.s.I phoned a helpline for advice, they mentioned potentially doing a "subject access request" as an option (https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... mmigration) but would prefer not to go down this route as this could take months, it will confirm my parents settled status but don't think it will give me a document I can use to send to apply for a British passport.)

Thanks for any advice.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:17 pm

wellwellwell wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:19 pm
Hi all,

So after a bit more learning I have found that my parents both must have had ILR or PR because they took out a mortgage in the years before I was born. Apparently you would not be able to do this if you were not "settled"?

Just trying to find/access/potentially order some documents to send to prove this was true around the time of my birth.

During the 1980s I got my mortgage, loans, credit cards, I was never asked for ILR/PR or similar, not even my passport in most cases...regulations have tightened up since then. Don't want to be negative but I doubt there will be any useful documentation available from those sources, and most of it will have been shredded.

Are P45/national insurance numbers of my parents of any use here?
Home Office will only accept documents that directly confirm their, or your, status. Unfortunately they will not accept long residence as proof for anything, not even for English language proficiency.

(p.s.I phoned a helpline for advice, they mentioned potentially doing a "subject access request" as an option (https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... mmigration) but would prefer not to go down this route as this could take months, it will confirm my parents settled status but don't think it will give me a document I can use to send to apply for a British passport.)
Again, records won't have been kept for that many years back, not even by the Home Office, and it was well documented in the news that they have been destroying potentially useful documents.
Thanks for any advice.
I would seriously recommend you try and get some details/documentation from your father but that's your personal choice of course. Otherwise you will have to create your own document trail, meaning applying for PR (which should be easy), then citizenhip & Passport. Unfortunately expensive. As was pointed out the Home Office goes by regulations strictly ... Obviously I stand corrected if I said something what isn't right.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

wellwellwell
Newly Registered

Post by wellwellwell » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:31 pm

Hi everyone,

Good news - I have found the certificate of registration of my maternal grandparents. So happy and relieved.

Just wondering what, if anything else I should send to show that this means my mother also had settled status by default. There is a picture of my mother with my grandmother in my grandmothers certificate of registration, but can’t seem to find any details about my mother on the document.

Will one of my grandmothers passports with my mother help here?

Thanks!

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:49 am

wellwellwell wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:31 pm
Hi everyone,

Good news - I have found the certificate of registration of my maternal grandparents. So happy and relieved. This is the certificate of registration as British Citizens, or certifying permanent unlimited residence? Was this issued by the Home Office?

Just wondering what, if anything else I should send to show that this means my mother also had settled status by default. There is a picture of my mother with my grandmother in my grandmothers certificate of registration, but can’t seem to find any details about my mother on the document. Perhaps you could quote the exact wording (all but without personal details?

Will one of my grandmothers passports with my mother help here?

Thanks!
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

wellwellwell
Newly Registered

Post by wellwellwell » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:35 pm

The documents say "Aliens order 1953 Certificate of Registration"

This was before they were granted indefinite leave to enter, it says permission granted for employment and to stay temporarily, it seems it was extended/stamped every 12 months. So doesn't say they were allowed permanently.

There is no mention of my mother in this document, she is in the photo with my grandmother though that's all (but I guess as far as they are concerned this could be anyone?)

I spoke to the passport office helpline to help determine if I was eligible and which documents to send. They said that my grandmother's passport (which has my mother's name/photo/date of birth also) as well as a stamp (indefinite leave to enter UK), plus my UK birth certificate, plus my mother's current passport should be enough?

I will send these, if they require anything else they will let me know - but he said that it seems I was eligible for British Citizenship since birth.

I'm guessing it might be good to send a letter with the documents outlining the documents I have sent, and explicitly telling them which page the stamp is on. I was considering sending my mother's birth certificate which proves that she is the daughter of my grandmother... though this might not be necessary.

I might get a second opinion from another helpline advisor just to be sure.

Thanks for all your help, nearly there :)

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:39 pm

Definitely make sure you provide a letter setting out all the facts concisely, and adding that the helpline advised accordingly. Helpline is separate from the people processing applications and in the nature of things different caseworkers may have different opinions within their remit. Also note that original documents need to be submitted. Certainly would be interested in the outcome.

wellwellwell
Newly Registered

Post by wellwellwell » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:32 pm

Thank you! Really appreciate all the help. Will let you know how it goes, fingers crossed..!