ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship - Language requirements - PGCE

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

davethebox
Newly Registered

Citizenship - Language requirements - PGCE

Post by davethebox » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:50 pm

Hello everyone - I've found your site when searching about language requirements.

I've had a good search on this site, or so I think, about determining if a PGCE (from a UK University) is considered sufficient for the language requirement. Some replies to questions say - it's sufficient. Some are unclear.

The GOV website specifically states "degrees". A PGCE can only be studied if you have a degree.

My wife had to prove her language skiils before being accepted on the course and has now been teaching for 25 years.

Has anyone any clear knowledge that a PGCE is sufficient? Paying £150 for the pleasure of talking to someone seems crazy.

Many thanks and I look forward to contributing to this site in the future.

Davethebox

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Citizenship - Language requirements - PGCE

Post by CR001 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:58 pm

What is PGCE?

If she has a degree, why not use that if UK issued. If not, do ELA from NARIC.

What is her nationality and how old is she?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

LilyLalilu

Post by LilyLalilu » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:05 pm

From a logical point of view it should be accepted as this award is higher on the Framework for Higher Education Qualifications of UK Degree-Awarding Bodies than a Bachelor's degree (which is accepted by HO). BA is a qualification at Level 6, whereas a PGCE is at Level 7.
However, best to check with the HO as they don't always seem to be following common sense :lol:
All information given is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:22 pm

davethebox wrote:Hello everyone - I've found your site when searching about language requirements.

Has anyone any clear knowledge that a PGCE is sufficient? Paying £150 for the pleasure of talking to someone seems crazy.

Many thanks and I look forward to contributing to this site in the future.

Davethebox
I think you've smashed it. This may float your boat:
Applicants holding a post-graduate diploma, or a graduate diploma from a UK university, are considered to have the required level of English for a settlement or citizenship application.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... -v19.0.pdf
- ref page 37
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

davethebox
Newly Registered

Post by davethebox » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:13 pm

Thank you all for your advice - tihs makes sense.

I should have said that a PGCE is a Post Graduate Certificate in Education. It's a years course AFTER completing a degree. My wife took her degree abroad but then had to prove her English skills before she was accepted onto the PGCE.

neerajagarwal
Newly Registered
India

Post by neerajagarwal » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:15 pm

Hi there,

Did this work for you as we are in the exact same boat with my wife having done her PGCE here in the UK but her first degree abroad.

Many thanks.

mickypgce
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by mickypgce » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:28 am

Did you all have your citizenship with your PGCE qualification as proof of English? I am doing mine now, and people seem to have different views on this!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profess ... _Education

This tells me it is completely valid!

Twyll
Newly Registered

Post by Twyll » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:44 pm

I'm facing the same problem. HAs anyone received any answer rregarding that issue?

I have a PGCE, but no previous degree done in the UK.

Would the PGCE count as a degree as evidence towards the language requirements?

Alba1984
Newly Registered
Spain

Post by Alba1984 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:10 pm

Hi!
I am also going through this process of applying and only have my PGCE certificate (degree from Spain). Has anyone been able to present their PGCE as proof of English please?

Any information will be very welcome!!!
Thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:13 pm

Alba1984 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:10 pm
Hi!
I am also going through this process of applying and only have my PGCE certificate (degree from Spain). Has anyone been able to present their PGCE as proof of English please?

Any information will be very welcome!!!
Thanks!
If yours is from Spain, it won't meet the requirement. The rules state it must be a UK university issued PGCE.
noajthan wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:22 pm
I think you've smashed it. This may float your boat:
Applicants holding a post-graduate diploma, or a graduate diploma from a UK university, are considered to have the required level of English for a settlement or citizenship application.
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... -v19.0.pdf
- ref page 37
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

gambag
Newly Registered

Post by gambag » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:20 am

A PGCE taught in the UK is a valid and accepted certificate for proving your level of English. The government website states that the certificate must be "a qualification that is equivalent to a UK Bachelors or Master’s degree". You will notice from their website ( https://www.gov.uk/what-different-quali ... ion-levels ) that the PGCE is considered a level 7 certificate, which is the same level as a Masters degree, hence should be accepted. This was confirmed over the phone to me when I spoke to the Home Office. I am therefore applying using my PGCE certificate.

Hope this helps.

Giovanni

Jos37
Newly Registered
France

Post by Jos37 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:43 pm

Hello, just wondering if gambag you managed to use your PGCE as a proof. That would really help me.
Many thanks
Jo