ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Disabled British Child - Zambrano (Derivative) Parent

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Proudmummy
Newly Registered
Antigua & Barbuda

Disabled British Child - Zambrano (Derivative) Parent

Post by Proudmummy » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:45 am

Hi all,

I have a special needs child who is British. I am a derivative rights holder. A very brief backstory - My son began mainstream primary school in September and it was quickly established that he requires full time extra support at school. Because the nursery failed to do their bit, the school had no idea of his needs and so the school is urgently trying to contact the relevant bodies for this support. In the interim, he only does morning session at school.

As a result my work hours are affected. I'm unable to work as I have to look after him as he's unable to attend any breakfast or after school clubs. So I'm currently on sick leave until this ran out.

I contacted my council nrpf for assistance, they told me to apply to home office for a change of conditions to remove restrictions for access to public funds. But this only applies to FLR (FP) applications.

Now nrpf told me to make this application... this cost over £3000, and take months to sort out. What are my options. I believe derivative rights holders can contact individual DWP departments for benefits at their discretion.

I have applied for DLA, But what I need is childcare so I can continue to work, and help with reduce wages for reduce hours.

Please I need any advice that can be given.

Ps I'm married, husband has nrpf.
British Child has no contact with British dad, he doesn't live in the UK.
Also have a 2 year old non British Child.

secret.simon

Re: Disabled British Child - Zambrano (Derivative) Parent

Post by secret.simon » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:28 pm

A short summary on what Zambrano applicants can and can't access. No-contributory benefits, such as child benefits), are not available to Zambrano parents. However, they can apply to the local council for assistance if the child is "in need".
Local authorities are now required to undertake a ‘basic needs’ assessment to ensure ‘that the child and the Zambrano carer are both properly looked after’.
NRPF Network - Zambrano carers: local authority duties and access to public funds
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:33 pm

You could apply for a fee waiver with the FLR(FP), and given the compelling nature of your case, it is highly likely that they will grant.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Proudmummy
Newly Registered
Antigua & Barbuda

Post by Proudmummy » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:29 pm

Obie wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:33 pm
You could apply for a fee waiver with the FLR(FP), and given the compelling nature of your case, it is highly likely that they will grant.
Thanks. I'm thinking this will be my course of action