ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Documents needed for US embassy appointment in London

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

dillopapa
Newly Registered

US and Canada visit after serving deportation time.

Post by dillopapa » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:25 pm

Firstly i would like to thank you all for your help on here. Some of us have been huge beneficiaries of such forums. Now here goes my story. I had an F1 visa in 2001. I fell out of status because i attempted to switched schools unsuccessfully due to financial reasons (This automatically put me out of status). Secondly i had some legal issues. A drug paraphernalia was found in my car even though it was not mine ( i gave the car out to a 'friend's friend'), i stupidly took a plea from the prosecutor and accepted it as mine. I got picked up by Home land security in 2003 and was deported to Africa.

I have relocated to the UK since and gained a couple of degrees, married and had children. I have also become a British Citizen. Now, i would like to pay a visit to both the US and Canada. With my British passport i would normally have had to apply for and ESTA and E.T.A respectively. But i guess not with my past record. I have been without a criminal record since. I have a decent job in the UK and sometimes have the chance to visit our US offices. What are my chances of getting a visa to both countries? Will the fact that its been 15

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Re: US and Canada visit after serving deportation time.

Post by max307 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:56 pm

If you are land crossing from Canada to the US or from the US to Canada there is no need for ESTA or eTA.

I know it was a while ago but likely you won't get a visa for the US, they are very strict with their rules and even less serious cases had their visas denied. I think it will be easier with Canada but again you will need to disclose those events back in 2001 so I don't know how that will affect your application.

The good part is that you will know there and then (visa interview) so for sure it will save you the money and hassle of landing in either Canada or the US and getting entry denied and eventually deported again.

If a visa is issued you will get a multiple entry 10 year visa so in the future no need to go for a visa again you can use that one for the next 10 years.
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.

dillopapa
Newly Registered

Post by dillopapa » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:03 am

Thank you Max307 for your response. Is there no chance at all for a USA visa or is it worth a try? Because i have read in other threads that others with similar or even worst past have been referred to a waiver after the visa is denied. Any knowledge on that?

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:20 pm

dillopapa wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:03 am
Thank you Max307 for your response. Is there no chance at all for a USA visa or is it worth a try? Because i have read in other threads that others with similar or even worst past have been referred to a waiver after the visa is denied. Any knowledge on that?
There is always a chance, unfortunately every case is different so hard to tell with certainty.

I would say go for it, if the visa is denied you won't get back your $160 fee but at least you will know for sure.
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.

dillopapa
Newly Registered

Post by dillopapa » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:31 pm

Thank you. Plan on going to it in January 2019. Will update you.

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:26 pm

dillopapa wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:31 pm
Thank you. Plan on going to it in January 2019. Will update you.
Good Luck! :)

dillopapa
Newly Registered

Documents needed for US embassy appointment in London

Post by dillopapa » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:11 am

Hello All,

I am looking at applying for a B2 VISA at the US embassy in London in January 2019 as i do not qualify for an ESTA. I understand I need to take the following:
1. passport
2.one photograph
3.Confirmation page of online submitted Form DS-160
4. Visa fee receeipt
5. Visa appointment letter.

What other documents is required of me? Bank statement? Pay slips?

Thanks in advance.

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Documents needed for US embassy appointment in London

Post by max307 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:29 pm

These are the only documents you need to bring with you:

1. Original passport (if you had a US visa on another passport bring it as well)
2. One photograph (make sure the photograph is 2" x 2" otherwise they will require a new photograph)
3. Confirmation page of online submitted Form DS-160

If they require further documentation from you, at the interview the officer will instruct you how to submit them later on. If no further documentation is needed your visa will be approved there and then.