ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help! How is Home Office sending passports back?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Sunshine82
Newly Registered

Help! How is Home Office sending passports back?

Post by Sunshine82 » Sat May 31, 2008 12:02 pm

Hello, I'm trying to find out, were our passports are!
My husband applied for an EEA2 residency card and we requested our passports back. I called Home office one week later and they told me, they sent them out, seperatly, on the 27th of may, by secured mail. Does secured mail mead, they use the "secured mail Service"? Or do they use recorded mail by royal mail? I got a refeence number, which is 9 numbers. On the secured mail homepage i can not find anyting to track our letters or to call them (secured mail, not our passports). For Royal mail "track and trace" I would need two letters in front of the 9 numbers. I'm a bit worried now, as I need my passport for next weekend.
Any idea? How did they sent your passports back?

cutepearl

Post by cutepearl » Sat May 31, 2008 6:39 pm

well... normally they send it on the royal mail... i dont know what does that secure mail means... guess you need to call them again and ask them to clarify that to you... hope they will... good luck..

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:21 am

I thought they were now using Secure Mail Services to return passports - that is how our passports were returned when my wife applied for British citizenship.

http://www.securemail.co.uk/sms/

thsths

Re: Help! How is Home Office sending passports back?

Post by thsths » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:05 am

Sunshine82 wrote:Does secured mail mead, they use the "secured mail Service"? Or do they use recorded mail by royal mail?
It says in a few places on the web site of the UKBA that
We will return your passport(s) and other documents by recorded delivery. If you would like them to be returned by special delivery, you must provide a prepaid special delivery envelope big enough for the documents to be returned.
I assume that also applies to applications under European laws, although it is not stated there.

My stance is that the Home Office is responsible for delivering the documents. So if they get lost in the mail, they will have to pay for the replacement. But I guess on the whole that is still cheaper than always paying for special delivery.

Tom

Sunshine82
Newly Registered

Post by Sunshine82 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:20 am

Thank you for your answers.
I called home office again. The passports were sent out by "Secure Mail Service" (SMS) not royal mail, they gave me Reference number and phone number. I called Secure Mail straight after. They said fine, we will deliver it tomorrow!! I hope it works, can't wait till tomorrow!!

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:14 am

Sunshine82 wrote:Thank you for your answers.
I called home office again. The passports were sent out by "Secure Mail Service" (SMS) not royal mail, they gave me Reference number and phone number. I called Secure Mail straight after. They said fine, we will deliver it tomorrow!! I hope it works, can't wait till tomorrow!!
I've had deliveries from SMS (not passports but credit cards). They do seem to be reliable and to deliver things when they say they will. You'll need to be in to sign for the envelope.

mspacman
Newly Registered

Post by mspacman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:27 am

I called them on the 5th of June and asked for my passport to be sent back. They told me it will take 10 working days.

Last Friday I called again and asked if they had send it, they now told me it will take a "minimum of 10 working days" and that "arrangements to send the passport back are being done". wtf... She told me that it will be sent by SMS (secure mail service). Today, Wednesday 25th, I still haven't received it and I am annoyed beyond believe and at the edge of my seat. I am travelling next Friday (3d July).

It is just utterly ridiculous. I have never,ever, ever come upon a Service that is unorganized and unreliable such as the Home Office. How dare they telling me that I will just "have to wait"? Eh? What if someone dies and I have to travel tomorrow??? I just cannot believe it! Why does it take at least 10 days? Why cant they just copy all the documents and send them back straight away like they do in other countries?

Well, lets hope I will get my Passport back in time.

My advice to everyone is: ask for your passports back AT LEAST A MONTH before you travel!

Good luck to me and good luck to everyone else who is in the same situation!

:twisted:

mspacman
Newly Registered

Post by mspacman » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:17 am

Got my passport at last!!!!! Here is how it goes:

1. phone the home office a month before you travel.
2. it will take a minimum of 10 working days before they send the documents
3. in my case it took 14 working days
3. you will receive a letter from sms - the secure mail services, with the pick up number
4. phone them or visit their website to arrange a delivery. if you phone before 2 pm they will deliver the next day. you can also let it be delivered to your work place. when you phone, use option 1 to arrange a delivery time - you will have to answer pre-recorded questions. option 2 enables you to speak to someone in person. be aware that they cannot guarantee a specific time.
5. wait for your docuemtns. mine came at 9.30 am the next morning. show your ID. This is essential. No ID, no documents!
6. Good luck :-)

So all together it took (from the first call to the Home Office to arrival of my documents) 22 days! Amazing!

PS: when you first send your documents to the home office it already takes a month (!) before it will be allocated to the right department. be aware of this too!

From this experience I can say that I felt like a prisoner without my passport. I am so glad to have it back, and now I can travel
yipeeeeeee

:P

thsths

Post by thsths » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:47 am

mspacman wrote:From this experience I can say that I felt like a prisoner without my passport. I am so glad to have it back, and now I can travel
I am glad that you got your passport after all. Your story does indeed sound like there is a lot of chaos going on in the UKBA.

My recommendation is to send only a photocopy of the passport. Once your application has sat in the queue for the required 5 months, the evidence is out of date anyway, and you will be asked to supply new payslips and the original passport.

It is beyond me why the Home Office does not recommend this in the first place. Dealing with all the chaos of sending passports back and forth must cost them ample. But I guess costs are of no concern for them.

Tom

MouseyOne
Newly Registered

Post by MouseyOne » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:44 am

From my experience this is a good service as they will not give you anything unless the owner of the document is at home, with some other ID. Some banks also use it to deliver bank cards too and I think they can deliver till 8 pm which is great.

cutepearl

Post by cutepearl » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:05 pm

ok guys... what about if you need your passport back and go to the home office and pick it up ??? it says on their website as well that you can call them 48 hrs advance and they can arrange it to pick it up from croydon ???

guime
Newly Registered

HELP, URGENT!!

Post by guime » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:43 am

Hello!

I sent my EEA1 and EEA2 (my wife, brazilian citizen and me, italian citizen) on 15th January... haven't received anything so far...

but now I have to go to netherlands for my work and on 16th June (almost 1 month ago) I called home office asking for my ID Card back for this travel... and the guy said I would receive it in 10 working days...

on the 9 working day I called again and the guy said they haven't sent anything... and told me to send a fax asking again for my id card.. 1 day letter I sent the fax (last week).

Nothing so far.... today I called them again and the guy told me the haven't sent anything yet.... then I became desperate... because I've got my tickets to next saturday and an appointment for monday in Amsterdam... i really CANNOT cancel this appointment.... and the guy said that he asked with URGENCY blablabla but can't guarantee that I will receive my id by friday.

DO I HAVE ANY CHANCE TO GO THERE AND COLLECT MY ID CARD BACK??? I REALLY CANNOT CANCEL THIS APPOINTMENT... they CAN'T do it with people... I am living here as a prisioner for more than 6 months and when I ask for my id card back with 1 month time before my trip, they don't send it... I just can't believe this....

CAN U PLEASEEE, tell me where is written on HO website that I can call within 48 hours and arrange to collect my id card in croydon? because I DO need to get my id card back by friday....

please guys, help me =[

Plum70
Diamond Member

Re: HELP, URGENT!!

Post by Plum70 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:19 am

guime wrote:Hello!

I sent my EEA1 and EEA2 (my wife, brazilian citizen and me, italian citizen) on 15th January... haven't received anything so far...

but now I have to go to netherlands for my work and on 16th June (almost 1 month ago) I called home office asking for my ID Card back for this travel... and the guy said I would receive it in 10 working days...

on the 9 working day I called again and the guy said they haven't sent anything... and told me to send a fax asking again for my id card.. 1 day letter I sent the fax (last week).

Nothing so far.... today I called them again and the guy told me the haven't sent anything yet.... then I became desperate... because I've got my tickets to next saturday and an appointment for monday in Amsterdam... i really CANNOT cancel this appointment.... and the guy said that he asked with URGENCY blablabla but can't guarantee that I will receive my id by friday.

DO I HAVE ANY CHANCE TO GO THERE AND COLLECT MY ID CARD BACK??? I REALLY CANNOT CANCEL THIS APPOINTMENT... they CAN'T do it with people... I am living here as a prisioner for more than 6 months and when I ask for my id card back with 1 month time before my trip, they don't send it... I just can't believe this....

CAN U PLEASEEE, tell me where is written on HO website that I can call within 48 hours and arrange to collect my id card in croydon? because I DO need to get my id card back by friday....

please guys, help me =[
On the 25th of June I requested my passport be returned and received it by secure mail this morning. I called the HO number: 0207 035 4848. Try calling them again and request that your case be dealt with as a matter of urgency. By the way, did you submit both your passport and ID card to the HO?

guime
Newly Registered

Post by guime » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:29 am

Plum70 wrote:
guime wrote:Hello!

please guys, help me =[
On the 25th of June I requested my passport be returned and received it by secure mail this morning. I called the HO number: 0207 035 4848. Try calling them again and request that your case be dealt with as a matter of urgency. By the way, did you submit both your passport and ID card to the HO?
Hi there,

I called them 3 times... the third one was this morning... and nothing!!!

I sent just my ID as I don't have passport... I always used only ID Card for everything in europe.... I want to apply for passaport when I receive my ID Card to avoid this situation again, but now is too late...

I hope that they give me back my ID with time for my travel.....

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:13 pm

Hi there,

I sent just my ID as I don't have passport... I always used only ID Card for everything in europe.... I want to apply for passaport when I receive my ID Card to avoid this situation again, but now is too late...

What do you mean when you say you called them thrice and nothing? Did no one answer, no one able to help?

guime
Newly Registered

Post by guime » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:45 pm

Plum70 wrote:
Hi there,

What do you mean when you say you called them thrice and nothing? Did no one answer, no one able to help?
they just say that nothing has been sent yet and will put as urgent for the sector send it to me as soon as possible.... then I wait, call again and is the same cenario....

I am going to call again tomorrow morning and see if I can get this in person at HO in croydon or wherever....

guime
Newly Registered

Post by guime » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:41 am

I just called them again and I think now my problem has been solved....

I booked to get it in person on friday morning... the woman told me that she'll try to give me my process finished, otherwise I get only the id card....

Good... on friday I'll tell you what happened!

Thanks a lot for your tips,

Bye

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:48 pm

guime wrote:I just called them again and I think now my problem has been solved....

I booked to get it in person on friday morning... the woman told me that she'll try to give me my process finished, otherwise I get only the id card....

Bye
Good luck with that Guime

Cheers

juilanwood
Newly Registered

Post by juilanwood » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:46 pm

I'm in the same boat. My EEA2 application went in on the 1st December but we didn't include our passports as surprise surprise some people need to travel.

Never mind the grief I have had at Heathrow two out of four times being told to wait for 30 minutes and been made to look like a criminal while they are incredibly rude when they 'deal' with you. Strange that twice on entry the person was helpful and understanding...serious power trips for some people.

Anyway 6 months exactly to the day we received a letter saying we should send our passports back within a reasonable time of 3 weeks. We were travelling again in two weeks so sent our passports through immediately afterwards. I had planned a weekend away for our first anniversary this weekend (3 weeks after the passports were sent) and as I had not received our passports back after 1.5 weeks asked what was up. Usual no straight answers, a million phone calls and faxes and application marked urgent I don't know how many times but has still not been sent out and absolutely no-one will take any responsibility to even be remotely helpful. All that's needed is the phone answerer to call the case worker on the modern thing called a telephone or use the even more modern thing called email and then they need to be put the passports in the very old thing called the postal service and send it along.
AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been told there is no express delivery service and I can't even go to Liverpool to collect the passports. Why has this changed? You were able to go to Croydon with a weeks notice and collect so why not from Liverpool?
I would assume that within the 6 months by EU law they should have decided on our application which is straight forward. So what have they been doing for more than 3 weeks when all they really have to do is stamp the passport and send it back.
When something is marked urgent it obviously means absolutely nothing.

So I have had to break the news to my wife that it is very unlikely that we are able to go away for our anniversary and we just have to sit at home and think about how utterly useless the HO is. Great...

Commiserating with you all who are waiting for passports. For the huge amount of tax we pay we really don't get any value in government.

guime
Newly Registered

Post by guime » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:08 pm

Plum70 wrote:
guime wrote:I just called them again and I think now my problem has been solved....

Bye
Good luck with that Guime

Cheers
Hello,

As I said, today was the day to go there and collect my id card back.. and... tchanannnn...

I'VE COLLECTED ALL PROCESS FINISHED!!! I JUST CAN'T BELIEVE THIS...

my id card, my residence card, my wife's passport with residence card for 5 years and all our documents etc...

I AM SO HAPPY NOW... I still can't believe this... so people, if u r waiting for 6 months or more I would suggest to call them and ask for the passport back... maybe will happen the same as me, receive everything done :D

julian, good luck to u, unless u weren't without passport for more than 6 months and u traveled during this time... me and my wife were as prisoners here with this BEAUTIFUL weather hahaah...

CYA guys!!!

mspacman
Newly Registered

Post by mspacman » Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:37 pm

guys,

a very bad thing happened.

My father in law has died last wednesday.

My husband was NOT ABLE TO ATTEND THE FUNERAL BECAUSE HIS PASSPORT IS STILL WITH THE HOME OFFICE!!!!!!!

They had his passport now for 5 months, to the day!! Can you believe this?? Do you have any idea HOW DEVASTATED he is that he could not attend his fathers funeral????

I am SICK of this Home Office!!

They said they cannot give the passport because the passport is not in London anymore, it is in Liverpool!!!!!!!

His embassy said that they can give him something to travel, thats no problem, but he will face extreme difficulties when he wants to come back, bc his visa is expired.

I am telling you, I want to kill them all, these HO people. :evil:

Thats it. His father is dead, he wasnt at his funeral, his familiy is pissed off beyond believe, we are so numb we cannot even feel any hate, and now whats to do? Ask for the passport back that means the application will be cancelled and then he has to apply all over again...

and then, who knows, if he does this, he will wait another 5 months and then his mum will die.

WHO KNOWS...

I am SICK of this system!!!!!!!!!

By the way, a friend threatened the HO to take them to court. Apparently after 6 months you can do this.

They wrote him a letter asking them to withdraw the court thing and that they will deal his case as emergency.

hahahahaaaaaaaaaa

talk to THEM!!!!!

mspacman
Newly Registered

update residence permit

Post by mspacman » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:15 pm

It's me again. I see noone has written anything in months so I assume all of you guys are good and got your visas! Great :)

anyway, just in case someone is new here, here is an update:

My husband's visa still has not arrived. It is 7 months and 5 days since we applied for it, to the day. We are waiting now for his father's death certificate to be translated and arrive. HO gave a contact address (not email, normal address which I dont have at the moment but if someone wants to know I will ask my husband to give it to me and I will publish it here), thats where we have to send the death certificate and then maybe he will eventually gets his visa.....

As for the friend, he sued the HO (6 months after start of application), they asked him please please can you not sue us, so he withdraw from the sueing, and guess what, 3 months later he is still waiting for his visa. alltogether 9 months and no end in sight.

Will keep you informed...

ps i havent sent my passport back since i received it (eu national) and they do not seem to need it

senin
Newly Registered

Post by senin » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:45 pm

We have waited 8 months and 13 days and nothing!!!
Have been calling the Home office daily even though it is a waste of time

mspacman
Newly Registered

Post by mspacman » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:12 pm

10 months today and still NO SIGN of a visa, NO ANSWER despite several letters, calls, faxes...nothing!!!

10 months!!!!

when the 1 year anniversary is here i will send them a bottle of champagne!!
Last edited by mspacman on Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mspacman
Newly Registered

Post by mspacman » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:19 pm