ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizenship through descent

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

smartkhan
Member of Standing

British citizenship through descent

Post by smartkhan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:40 pm

Hi,

My friend who was born in Denmark got British citizenship through his British father.

My friend's son was born in Denmark in 2010.

Can my friend's son apply for British citizenship?

If yes which form?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

alterhase58
Germany

Re: British citizenship through descent

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:08 pm

Friend's son is British (by descent) - he doesn't have to apply for citizenship. He can go straight for a British passport.
However, he cannot pass on his British nationality to children born outside the UK.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

smartkhan
Member of Standing

Post by smartkhan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:04 pm

My friend got his British citizenship through descent as well. That's my question. Is his son eligible?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:09 pm

If the child resides in the UK with both parents for three continuous years, then s/he is entitled to register as a British citizen while under the age of 18 (Section 3(5) registration).

Alternatively, if your "British by descent" friend has lived in the UK for any three continuous years of his life before the birth of the child, the child is also entitled to be registered as a British citizen before the age of 18 (Section 3(2) registration).

The first option will make the child a British citizen otherwise than by descent (can pass on citizenship to children born abroad automatically). The latter will make the child a British citizen by descent (cannot pass British citizenship to children born abroad).

Form MN1 for both options.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:26 pm

Apologies - didn't read carefully enough.
secret.simon clarified.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.