ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UKM application experience and timeline

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

luthersnowak
United States of America

Re: UKM application experience and timeline

Post by luthersnowak » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:25 pm

balles wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:29 pm
So yesterday marked the completion of my British citizenship process by attending a ceremony at the residence The High Commissioner in Pretoria where I received my certificate of registration. Coincidentally I also received the original approval letter from UKVI which was dated 1 October 2018. My notification from the Consulate to attend the ceremony was dated 7 November 2018. So that makes it 6 weeks between approval and invitation. The letter does provide another email address to contact should you have not been notified or invited to attend a ceremony within 12 weeks of your approval letter. It is citizenship.support@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk should anyone still be in limbo waiting to hear. I’ve sent off for my passport today so hope to get that in a few weeks. Good luck to all those still waiting
Congratulations!! Must be such a relief to complete this process!

a_powers
United States of America

Post by a_powers » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:51 am

So happy for you. Getting the passport is so much easier.

balles
Somalia

Post by balles » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:14 am

luthersnowak wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:25 pm
balles wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:29 pm
Congratulations!! Must be such a relief to complete this process!
Thank you! Best of luck with your application. The process unfortunately is not the quickest but well worth the wait.

balles
Somalia

Post by balles » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:20 am

a_powers wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:51 am
Thank you! Indeed the passport application is a breeze. I sent the application off on Thursday with DHL and I see it is in their distribution centre in Newcastle. Their estimated delivery date is Monday (given a weekend in between) so I would estimate a week or so from then I should know. My wife renewed her BP a few months back and the whole process including receiving back her new passport was just over a week ( even here in darkest Africa!)

Shaun45
South Africa

Post by Shaun45 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:19 am

balles wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:20 am
a_powers wrote:
Thank you! Indeed the passport application is a breeze. I sent the application off on Thursday with DHL and I see it is in their distribution centre in Newcastle. Their estimated delivery date is Monday (given a weekend in between) so I would estimate a week or so from then I should know. My wife renewed her BP a few months back and the whole process including receiving back her new passport was just over a week ( even here in darkest Africa!)
That is quite a quick turnaround for the passport. One thing I need to ask is who did you use for your countersignatory? I have someone that's a person of professional standing but he will unfortunately be away when I apply for my passport. I have a friend that is a British born citizen and was wondering if I could use him. I did send a query more than a week ago to the passport office but they have still not replied.

luthersnowak
United States of America

Post by luthersnowak » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:23 pm

HUGE UPDATE!!!! I got my approval today!! Thank you everyone. This forum has been such a huge help. If you are applying via the Romein decision, Keep your hopes up. They are approving cases based on this ruling.

Eligibility criteria: UKM (Via Romein decision)
Nationality: United States
Applying from: Unites States
Method of application: (Postal) USPS/ParcelForce
Date of application: 09/06/2018
Payment method: Credit card
Date of receipt by UKBA: 25/06/2018
Date money gone off account: 13/07/2018
Date of acknowledgement: 28/06/2018 (email)
Date of biometric appt. invitation: 22/08/2018 (email)
Date biometrics appt confirmation: 24/08/2018 (email)
Biometrics done: 06/09/2018 At USCIS Anchorage, AK.
Date of approval: 16/11/2018 - Approval and Documents in 1 envelope, sent Royal Mail Signature Required.
Date of ceremony:
Date applied for passports:
Date passports received:

balles
Somalia

Post by balles » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:04 pm

Shaun45 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:19 am
balles wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:20 am
a_powers wrote:
That is quite a quick turnaround for the passport. One thing I need to ask is who did you use for your countersignatory? I have someone that's a person of professional standing but he will unfortunately be away when I apply for my passport. I have a friend that is a British born citizen and was wondering if I could use him. I did send a query more than a week ago to the passport office but they have still not replied.
They do provide guidance on this. I was fortunate as a work colleague who is a BC & Chartered Accountant signed mine. Although preferable it is acceptable to use a Commonwealth citizen ( all SA citizens are also Commonwealth citizens) to use as a countersignatory. My wife used our local dentist who is a SA Citizen with no issues. Just include a copy of their passport

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:30 pm

Was the passport application not made online at https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports ? Or does that site generate a final printable application to be sent along with your supporting documents like the certificate of registration ?

balles
Somalia

Post by balles » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:36 pm

sunburn wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:30 pm
Was the passport application not made online at https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports ? Or does that site generate a final printable application to be sent along with your supporting documents like the certificate of registration ?
Correct. The application is done on line followed by a printed PDF. A single page containing the applicants signature and details of counter signature is provided which is then couriered to HMPO with your supporting documents and photos

PleasantThebest
South Africa

Post by PleasantThebest » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:50 am

balles wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:36 pm
sunburn wrote:
Correct. The application is done on line followed by a printed PDF. A single page containing the applicants signature and details of counter signature is provided which is then couriered to HMPO with your supporting documents and photos
Did you end up sending your vault birth certificate? If I follow that link you posted and follow all the prompts to South Africa.. it says you need a vault birth cert. I know we had some discussion about this earlier - I'm just slightly concerned, because as you know, getting a vault birth cert is a real mission - mine is currently still in the post :cry:

Shaun45
South Africa

Post by Shaun45 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:40 am

From what I have read on this forum and in the passport guide I have come to the conclusion that a vault copy of your birth certificate is unnesisary. Your registration certificate that you got at your citizenship cerimony will suffice.

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:40 am

Thanks balles.

AFAIK, the passport application doesn't request one's birth certificate. It requests the certificate of registration, along with other ID that depends on whether you're a group 1, group 2 or group 3 country national. Typically, that's a copy of your other passport, or other state issued ID and some kind of residence address proof.

PleasantThebest
South Africa

Post by PleasantThebest » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:36 am

Yeah maybe I'm over thinking. Just received my ceremony invite.. have you guys got your retention of SA citizenship?

Shaun45
South Africa

Post by Shaun45 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:37 am

PleasantThebest wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:36 am
Yeah maybe I'm over thinking. Just received my ceremony invite.. have you guys got your retention of SA citizenship?
Yes, I had to get a "retention of SA citizenship" permission letter from Home Affairs. I first had to get a letter from the Consulate General before I applied at Home Affairs. If you don't then you run the risk of loosing your SA citizenship.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:23 am

Shaun45 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:37 am
PleasantThebest wrote:
Yes, I had to get a "retention of SA citizenship" permission letter from Home Affairs. I first had to get a letter from the Consulate General before I applied at Home Affairs. If you don't then you run the risk of loosing your SA citizenship.
You will still always have the right to permanent residency if you are SA born etc and can resume SA citizenship if resident for 12 months in the Republic. So all is not completely lost if someone 'forgot' to do the retention bit.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Shaun45
South Africa

Post by Shaun45 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:30 am

CR001 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:23 am
Shaun45 wrote:
PleasantThebest wrote:
You will still always have the right to permanent residency if you are SA born etc and can resume SA citizenship if resident for 12 months in the Republic. So all is not completely lost if someone 'forgot' to do the retention bit.
That is correct. This in fact happened to a friend that moved to New Zealand. He got his NZ citizenship but when he tried to renew his SA passport he was told he lost his SA citizenship. As you say he will still be able to get his SA citizenship back again. It's just a bit of a pain and unnesisary.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:32 am

Shaun45 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:30 am
CR001 wrote:
Shaun45 wrote:
PleasantThebest wrote:
That is correct. This in fact happened to a friend that moved to New Zealand. He got his NZ citizenship but when he tried to renew his SA passport he was told he lost his SA citizenship. As you say he will still be able to get his SA citizenship back again. It's just a bit of a pain and unnesisary.
I gave mine up so that I would have British consular assistance if I am in SA and heaven forbid need their help (not possible if an SA citizen in SA) and travel in and out of SA on my British passport with the letter the Embassy gave me stating my PR status and permission to enter SA on my British passport. Never had any issues.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

PleasantThebest
South Africa

Post by PleasantThebest » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:44 am

CR001 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:32 am
Shaun45 wrote:
CR001 wrote:
Shaun45 wrote:
I gave mine up so that I would have British consular assistance if I am in SA and heaven forbid need their help (not possible if an SA citizen in SA) and travel in and out of SA on my British passport with the letter the Embassy gave me stating my PR status and permission to enter SA on my British passport. Never had any issues.
Yeah so I didn't know about this Retention of Citizenship thing till I read it in my ceremony invite today. I've reading up about it and it seems that you only need the RoC certificate if you're acquiring a foreign citizenship by naturalisation (i.e. from abroad), not if you acquiring by other means (i.e. registration/descent).. can anyone confirm this? I wouldn't mind losing my SA citizenship as I can easily prove that I was born here and have it re-instated.. I would just be concerned about working rights. Also how would Home Affairs know if I had acquired British Citizenship? When I apply to renew my SA Passport? But that would only happen if I willingly fill in details about my British citizenship

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:41 pm

PleasantThebest wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:44 am
CR001 wrote:
Shaun45 wrote:
CR001 wrote:

Yeah so I didn't know about this Retention of Citizenship thing till I read it in my ceremony invite today. I've reading up about it and it seems that you only need the RoC certificate if you're acquiring a foreign citizenship by naturalisation (i.e. from abroad), not if you acquiring by other means (i.e. registration/descent).. can anyone confirm this? I wouldn't mind losing my SA citizenship as I can easily prove that I was born here and have it re-instated.. I would just be concerned about working rights. Also how would Home Affairs know if I had acquired British Citizenship? When I apply to renew my SA Passport? But that would only happen if I willingly fill in details about my British citizenship
A person automatically British by descent doesn't lose SA citizenship, i.e. a person born to a BC parent who is British otherwise than by descent. Any voluntary act (which is what my letter states) of registration/naturalisation causes the loss of SA citizenship as far as I understand it. I remember having to rush to do my almost 18 years old daughters registration to avoid her automatically losing hers as the auto loss does not apply to under 18's.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

PleasantThebest
South Africa

Post by PleasantThebest » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:32 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:41 pm
PleasantThebest wrote:
CR001 wrote:
Shaun45 wrote:
A person automatically British by descent doesn't lose SA citizenship, i.e. a person born to a BC parent who is British otherwise than by descent. Any voluntary act (which is what my letter states) of registration/naturalisation causes the loss of SA citizenship as far as I understand it. I remember having to rush to do my almost 18 years old daughters registration to avoid her automatically losing hers as the auto loss does not apply to under 18's.
It would be impossible for me to get Retention before 14 December (my ceremony date) because I require my SA Passport (which is currently stuck in SA's shocking postal system which Home Office have sent back following my approval). At the Ceremony I won't need to bring Retention cert with me in order to get my registration certificate right?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:38 pm

PleasantThebest wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:32 pm
CR001 wrote:
PleasantThebest wrote:
CR001 wrote:

It would be impossible for me to get Retention before 14 December (my ceremony date) because I require my SA Passport (which is currently stuck in SA's shocking postal system which Home Office have sent back following my approval). At the Ceremony I won't need to bring Retention cert with me in order to get my registration certificate right?
No you won't need it for your ceremony.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

PleasantThebest
South Africa

Post by PleasantThebest » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:56 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:38 pm
PleasantThebest wrote:
CR001 wrote:
PleasantThebest wrote:

Thanks for the heads up CR001, its appreciated. Seems like I have no choice with this thing. I just pray it won't cause me hassles (but likely it will). I see there's lots of debate about the constitutionality of Retention of Citizenship - typical South Africa, but that's a debate for another thread, don't want to derail this thread about SA affairs.

balles
Somalia

Post by balles » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:13 pm

PleasantThebest wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:50 am
balles wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:36 pm
sunburn wrote:
Did you end up sending your vault birth certificate? If I follow that link you posted and follow all the prompts to South Africa.. it says you need a vault birth cert. I know we had some discussion about this earlier - I'm just slightly concerned, because as you know, getting a vault birth cert is a real mission - mine is currently still in the post :cry:
no need for vault copy or nay other form of birth certificate for passport application, if you obtained citizenship by registration or naturalisation. You simply send off your registration/naturalisation certificate your received at your ceremony together with other required documents as described in the link I supplied a few posts previously

Shaun45
South Africa

Post by Shaun45 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:07 am

CR001 wrote:
PleasantThebest wrote:
CR001 wrote:
PleasantThebest wrote:

You will need a form of identification for your ceremony. I suppose your SA ID will be ok. Btw, my ceremony is also on the 14th in Cape Town. If you in Cape Town I will probably see you :wink:

PleasantThebest
South Africa

Post by PleasantThebest » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:37 pm

Shaun45 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:07 am
CR001 wrote:
PleasantThebest wrote:
CR001 wrote:

You will need a form of identification for your ceremony. I suppose your SA ID will be ok. Btw, my ceremony is also on the 14th in Cape Town. If you in Cape Town I will probably see you :wink:
Lol I am in CT.. "see" you then :P