ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moving to Germany with non-EU spouse

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

emmeteeny
Newly Registered
Ireland

Moving to Germany with non-EU spouse

Post by emmeteeny » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:45 pm

H folks. Signed up to post this, so hopefully anyone who has had a comparable experience can offer clarification/advice.

My wife and I currently live in the Middle East. I'm Irish and she's Indian, and we were married in Ireland this summer. We plan on moving to Germany within the next few months, and I've been applying for a lot of jobs there over the past few weeks.

From my understanding, I am free to move and work in Germany but my wife can only do so after we arrive together in the country on a spouse visa for her, she applies for a temporary residence permit, and six months later if a temporary residence permit is granted, she can begin working.

Is the above correct or am I missing out on anything that is vital? Can my wife volunteer during the six month waiting period? Would love to hear from anyone who has been in a similar situation and how it worked out for them. Thanks.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Re: Moving to Germany with non-EU spouse

Post by ALKB » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:17 pm

emmeteeny wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:45 pm
H folks. Signed up to post this, so hopefully anyone who has had a comparable experience can offer clarification/advice.

My wife and I currently live in the Middle East. I'm Irish and she's Indian, and we were married in Ireland this summer. We plan on moving to Germany within the next few months, and I've been applying for a lot of jobs there over the past few weeks.

From my understanding, I am free to move and work in Germany but my wife can only do so after we arrive together in the country on a spouse visa for her, she applies for a temporary residence permit, and six months later if a temporary residence permit is granted, she can begin working.

Is the above correct or am I missing out on anything that is vital? Can my wife volunteer during the six month waiting period? Would love to hear from anyone who has been in a similar situation and how it worked out for them. Thanks.
Your wife can work right away but whether any employer would be willing to hire her without confirmation of her employment rights is a different matter.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Post by Caravel88 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:09 am

Your wife needs a Schengen visa to enter the Schengen area. No spouse visa.
Any Schengen visa will do.
Both you and her can start working right away.
emmeteeny wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:45 pm

emmeteeny
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by emmeteeny » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:15 am

Thank you both for the responses.

At the moment I'm having job interviews to move to Germany. Should I encourage my wife to also send out CVs etc or will her opportunities be limited until she has the requisite visa stamp? Thanks.

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Post by Caravel88 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:20 am

Of course start looking for work right away.
If she doesn't speak German that will be the main culprit.
emmeteeny wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:15 am

At the moment I'm having job interviews to move to Germany. Should I encourage my wife to also send out CVs etc or will her opportunities be limited until she has the requisite visa stamp? Thanks.

solamente
Newly Registered
Portugal

Post by solamente » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:29 pm

emmeteeny wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:15 am

Hi emmeteeny, did your wife manage to get the visa? The same situation here, EU+non-EU and we're planning to move to Germany form outside the EU. I would be grateful for any info about how German embassies handle the situation.

I read in some other topic that not particularly well:
Fiona1206 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:01 pm
Hi we applied for the free movement visa at the German embassy in Cairo. I’m British Eu my husband is non Eu Egyptian when we collected his passport they have given us a tourist visa C type for only 22 days. Is there anyway we can change this to the free movement to allow us to reside in Germany once we arrive in Germany. The embassy have been very clever and stated should we change the reason of our visit they will block my husbands passport. I intend to go for a few interviews while we are there and start my residency. Does anyone know a way we can make a C visa work once we are there?

emmeteeny
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by emmeteeny » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:09 am

Hi Solamente,

We've actually changed plans, and are looking to move to London. We visited Germany over the Christmas break and although we enjoyed it (Munich - loved, Berlin not so much!), we think there will be better job options for us in an English-speaking country.

solamente
Newly Registered
Portugal

Post by solamente » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:16 pm

I see. Thanks for your response. All the best!