ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

REFUGEE SETTLEMENT

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

livbrown
Newly Registered
Zimbabwe

REFUGEE SETTLEMENT

Post by livbrown » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:40 pm

Good evening people

I recently got granted Indefinite Leav to remain with Refugee Settlement expiring 2024

Now what does this mean ?

Do i still continue using travel document ?

When am i entiltled to apply for British, i applied my asylum when my visitors had expired with 1 month, is that regarded as “bad character”

Expiring 2024, does an Indefinite Expire ?

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: REFUGEE SETTLEMENT

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:38 pm

livbrown wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:40 pm
Good evening people

I recently got granted Indefinite Leav to remain with Refugee Settlement expiring 2024

When am i entiltled to apply for British, i applied my asylum when my visitors had expired with 1 month, is that regarded as “bad character”

You have now Indefinite Leave to Remain. That is your status with is permanent. The route you got it through is Refugee Settlement which does not matter.
You can apply for British Citizenship (BC) after 1 year from the date on your ILR BRP (you qualify 28 days before that date). For example if your ILR was granted on 2/11/2018, you may apply for BC
28 days before 2/11/2019.

However, note that you were exempted for Life in UK test and English requirement at ILR stage & fees.
But to qualify for BC you will have to take your Life in UK test and qualify for English requirements & the fees.

The expiry on BRP is just the expiry of the BRP card. For example if by then you have not taken your BC by that time (which is unlikely) you can just renew your BRP card.

Yes you can continue to use your travel document as long its valid. If its expired you can apply for a new one.

Bad character question: I dont think so
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:42 pm

tier11417 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:38 pm
livbrown wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:40 pm
Good evening people

You have now Indefinite Leave to Remain. That is your status with is permanent. The route you got it through is Refugee Settlement which does not matter.
You can apply for British Citizenship (BC) after 1 year from the date on your ILR BRP (you qualify 28 days before that date). For example if your ILR was granted on 2/11/2018, you may apply for BC
28 days before 2/11/2019.

However, note that you were exempted for Life in UK test and English requirement at ILR stage & fees.
But to qualify for BC you will have to take your Life in UK test and qualify for English requirements & the fees.

The expiry on BRP is just the expiry of the BRP card. For example if by then you have not taken your BC by that time (which is unlikely) you can just renew your BRP card.

Yes you can continue to use your travel document as long its valid. If its expired you can apply for a new one.

Bad character question: I dont think so
Wrong!!! There is NO "28 days before" concession for citizenship applications. ILR must be held for the full 12 months unless married to a British citizen!!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:46 pm

Oh really? I did not know that. Thanks for correcting me as I was gona make a mistake for my wife’s application otherwise 😮
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:06 pm

Apologies to the OP. You can only apply after 12 months for BC from the date of your ILR BRP.

And thank you CR001 once again for the correction!

Springie

Post by Springie » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:25 am

You'll need to apply for a new Convention Travel Document, if you want to travel during ILR. Your previous Travel Document should have expired at the same time as your previous leave to remain before you applied for ILR.

Can you be a bit more specific about "i applied my asylum when my visitors had expired with 1 month, is that regarded as “bad character”"? Give precise dates when your visitor visa expired and when you applied for asylum.

livbrown
Newly Registered
Zimbabwe

Post by livbrown » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:45 pm

I sought asylum when the visitors visa i held at that time had expired.

I’m told for you to qualify for BC yu would have been a legal resident 10years after being legal

In simple terms will i be safe to apply for BC next year if i once breached immigration rules by overstaying and then seek asylum a month after current visa expired .