ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Billl
Newly Registered

ILR

Post by Billl » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:44 pm

Hi all, I have had ILR through marriage to a British citizen since 1994. I am looking for your thought on getting citizenship. My worry (yes I'm a worrier) is about Brexit and the future. Do you think the government would or could at some point in the future change rules on ILR or are we safe from any future immigration changes? Just thinking of the way Windrush and EEC citizens have been treated. I know getting citizenship would solve all these things but it is Very expensive to apply for it. Thank you found for reading this.

CMOSUK
Mood:

Re: ILR

Post by CMOSUK » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:52 am

Billl wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:44 pm
Hi all, I have had ILR through marriage to a British citizen since 1994. I am looking for your thought on getting citizenship. My worry (yes I'm a worrier) is about Brexit and the future. Do you think the government would or could at some point in the future change rules on ILR or are we safe from any future immigration changes? Just thinking of the way Windrush and EEC citizens have been treated. I know getting citizenship would solve all these things but it is Very expensive to apply for it. Thank you found for reading this.
Since 1994, I would imagine there have been subtle changes to those who hold ILR and wish to go down the citizenship route, such as the language requirements, then I suppose the introduction of the BRP card and the phase out of the sticker ILR in passport.

There is no doubt in my mind that changes have and will happen, whether it be fee increases or introducing measures to counter fraud and deception such the BRP/NTL cards.

From my point of view, since you hold ILR from 1994, my biggest advice to you in my opinion, would be to make sure you have kept copies of the ILR and documentary evidence of your immigration history, H/O has a habit of their data held of people going missing and what you must remember, different systems where in place in 1994.

It may not be the answer you are looking for, but in my opinion, it may be better to apply for citizenship now rather than later as, make no assumptions, new systems do come in place and new rules are ever changing in an environment where one has to adapt.
These are my 'views' and 'opinions'.
If in doubt always seek professional advice, or at least do a search for the relevant information. :P

If i make any mistakes, You are more than welcome to correct me.

vinny

Re: ILR

Post by vinny » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:33 am

It’s possible that the Home Office may have destroyed their records of you.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.