ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Laid off by current company.

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

colza
Newly Registered
Taiwan

Laid off by current company.

Post by colza » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:16 pm

My current Tier 2 visa is valid until June/2019. However, my current company is planning to lay off me on Jan/2019. They know I need a visa so that I can keep staying here and hunting for the job. They are willing to do everything they can to help me out.

One thing they mentioned they can do is to keep my visa valid and don't revoke it. Which means, after January they will not pay me the salary. But since the visa is still valid, I can keep hunting for the job.

My questions are, is there anything I should be aware of? Will this influence the point I'm applying for the permanent residence?

It's almost Christmas and I know it's not easy to find a job in Dec and Jan. I will still try my best. However, it does help a bit if I don't have to worry about the visa pressure.

Apologise if this question is silly.

Thank you very much.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Laid off by current company.

Post by CR001 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:20 pm

They know I need a visa so that I can keep staying here and hunting for the job. They are willing to do everything they can to help me out.

One thing they mentioned they can do is to keep my visa valid and don't revoke it. Which means, after January they will not pay me the salary. But since the visa is still valid, I can keep hunting for the job.
They cannot do this. They have an obligation in terms of their sponsorship duties to inform HO within 10 days after your last date of employment that you are no longer employed and your visa will be curtailed to 60 days. How long the curtailment letter takes to get sent to you will vary from a few weeks to a few months. The curtailment period only starts from the date of the letter and the new expiry date of your visa will be stated. If your visa is valid for less than 60 days, you won't get a letter.
My questions are, is there anything I should be aware of? Will this influence the point I'm applying for the permanent residence?
Work on finding another sponsor asap. How long have you been on Tier 2 General visa?
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

colza
Newly Registered
Taiwan

Post by colza » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:44 pm

Hi CR001

Thank you very much for your precious information. I have been on General T2 for 2.5 years now. I will work on finding another job as soon as I can. 60 days after my last day will be the end of March. I think I can make it and I don't want to wait after March either.

I will also inform my company that they cannot do it. It's really weird that they told me they did this to one of their previous employees and it worked all right. The previous employee still changed the job successfully even they didn't report it.

I believe I can receive the curtailment letter only if they have informed the HO. Is it? Do I need this letter or the curtailment is executed so that I can change my job? Namely, when I'm changing my job, it will be a trouble for me if they didn't report it?

Sorry again for these additional questions. I will definitely get my new job before March!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:19 am

Thank you very much for your precious information. I have been on General T2 for 2.5 years now. I will work on finding another job as soon as I can. 60 days after my last day will be the end of March. I think I can make it and I don't want to wait after March either.
Note that the 60 days curtailment period is NOT from the last date of employment. HO decides when it is and it starts counting only from when the letter is dated.
I will also inform my company that they cannot do it. It's really weird that they told me they did this to one of their previous employees and it worked all right. The previous employee still changed the job successfully even they didn't report it.
They risk losing their license if they don't follow the specific rules they are required to follow.
I believe I can receive the curtailment letter only if they have informed the HO. Is it? Do I need this letter or the curtailment is executed so that I can change my job? Namely, when I'm changing my job, it will be a trouble for me if they didn't report it?
Yes. No you do not need it but you must remember that if any discrepancies are found later on, it could delay application decisions for you.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.