ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I use the NHS dentist for free?

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Ukgal123
Newly Registered

Can I use the NHS dentist for free?

Post by Ukgal123 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:52 pm

Hi All,

I am wondering if I can use the NHS dentist for free as I paid a large amount to the NHS with my application and I assume it is the same as an NHS doctor.

I asked my local dentist and they said they don’t know and I should ask the NHS.

I have emailed the NHS and asked this same question but awaiting a response and thought I would try here too!

Please share your knowledge!

Thank you in advance and may God reward you for your advice

Casa

Re: Can I use the NHS dentist for free?

Post by Casa » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:07 pm

If your dentist accepts patients under the NHS you will still have to pay the standard NHS charges, as we all do unless:
"You don't have to pay for NHS dental treatment if you're:
- under 18, or under 19 and in full-time education
- pregnant or have had a baby in the previous 12 months
- being treated in an NHS hospital and your treatment is carried out by the hospital dentist (but you may - --- have to pay for any dentures or bridges)
- receiving low income benefits, or you're under 20 and a dependant of someone receiving low income benefits
"

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/nhs-se ... l-charges/
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:08 pm

Dentistry is NOT free on the NHS. Everyone (including British citizens) have to pay for dentistry. You are not exempt from paying for dentists, regardless of your IHS fees you have paid. Note that dentistry is not the same as NHS GP or Doctor or hospital services and has always, at least for the last 10-15 years, been a fee based service.

The ONLY time is is free is if you are pregnant and on maternity or claiming certain benefits.

Edit : beaten by Casa :wink: (this time)
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Casa

Post by Casa » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:11 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:08 pm
Dentistry is NOT free on the NHS. Everyone (including British citizens) have to pay for dentistry. You are not exempt from paying for dentists, regardless of your IHS fees you have paid. Note that dentistry is not the same as NHS GP or Doctor or hospital services and has always, at least for the last 10-15 years, been a fee based service.

The ONLY time is is free is if you are pregnant and on maternity or claiming certain benefits.

I've upped my speed :wink:
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:13 pm

Casa wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:11 pm
CR001 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:08 pm

I've upped my speed :wink:
I will have to up my game a bit then :wink:
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Ukgal123
Newly Registered

Post by Ukgal123 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:08 pm

Thank you to you both for your very speedy and helpful responses!

That has clarified it for me!

And just to add we went ahead and booked a dentist check up and it costs £21.60 for anybody who will read this and wonder the price.

Many thanks again and God bless you.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:38 pm

As I am sure the dentist would have advised, their is a price tier system and different prices includes different things.

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questi ... treatment/
NHS dental charges

Band 1: £21.60. Covers an examination, diagnosis and advice. ...
Band 2: £59.10. Covers all treatment included in Band 1, plus additional treatment, such as fillings, root canal treatment and removing teeth (extractions).
Band 3: £256.50.
Char (CR001 not Casa)