ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

brawn401
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration?

Post by brawn401 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:51 pm

Thanks Emma and jpauls!

Well I hope you both hear soon, perhaps it takes about a month since getting the confirmation that the application has been sent for final decision to actually getting the confirmation, though it doesn’t seem to be an exact science!! :-D

If you hear anything please do let us know on the board, it might quell my anticipation a bit haha!

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:41 am

DiceDan wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:03 am
27th September - Dublin emailed requesting a notarised copy of passport, shortly followed up with another email saying they had my notarised copy after all and application is complete and submitted for final approval. It should take 6 – 8 weeks from now before you receive everything back.
Not sure if there is a difference between “final approval” and “final decision”. But this is what DiceDan wrote a few weeks ago. No report from him to indicate his FBR is complete.

Good luck to all who are waiting. I know how maddening it is.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:21 pm

14 weeks and nothing.. Sean015, any news?

sean015
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by sean015 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:19 pm

Michael123 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:21 pm
Still nothing so far! I guess that the reduced staff is causing it to take longer now because I would have thought to have heard something by now based on earlier timelines a few months ago.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:50 pm

Yes, I thought the same. I am anxiously waiting for you to get your email as I am 2 weeks behind you. Thanks!

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:08 pm

spav01 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:45 pm
Like sean015, I also received my email that the application and supporting documentation were received on August 3. I have not heard anything further, But I see it as "no news is good news".

Spav01, Any news on your application?

Emma86
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Emma86 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:32 pm

Hi All,

I emailed the DFA today for an update as I am at the 6 month mark and was advised my application was approved on 20 November. I was advised that due to a backlog, it may still be a few weeks before I receive my certificate.

Very happy to be an Irish citizen.

Good luck to those still waiting to hear.

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:32 pm

Emma86 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:32 pm
...was approved on 20 November. I was advised that due to a backlog, it may still be a few weeks before I receive my certificate.
Congratulations! FWIW, the date on my FBR is 26 July, the cover letter was dated 9 August, and I received it by post on 16 August. Since your documents were submitted to the London embassy, they will likely be sent to the embassy before they are sent to you.

Emma86
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Emma86 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:01 pm

Thanks PasadenaTom! Yeah, the papers will go to the embassy first for onward sending to me. So very happy to be officially an Irish citizen. Hoping to have the papers around Christmas, then onto the passport application early next year.

brawn401
Mood:
Ireland

Post by brawn401 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:58 pm

That’s fantastic news Emma, congratulations!! Good luck with the passport application.

Out of interest when was your application received by the London embassy? You mentioned the other day you were at the 6 month mark so I’m guessing early June?

Emma86
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by Emma86 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:06 am

Hi Brawn401,
Thanks. The London embassy received my application 30 May.
I hope you hear good news soon!

brawn401
Mood:
Ireland

Post by brawn401 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:40 am

Ah, thanks for that Emma - My application was received a month after yours so that gives me a good yardstick - Christmas (or shortly after) it is! Hope you get your cert before the New Year - its the next adventure then!! :)
Michael123 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:21 pm
Michael, I note that you received conformation of receipt of your application on 8/21, so 3ish months ago or 101 days ago from today. The DFA do state in their correspondence that applications take up to 6 months to process, so it does seem like you are at the halfway mark through their stated processing time, so possibly a little way off getting it yet.

I called the DFA the other day as I applied at the beginning of July to see what the latest was with my application and they confirmed it was only sent off for final decision (after document checking) last week, so thats about 4.5 months after they confirmed receipt of my documents back in July. They also said that I should hear around Christmas or maybe after, so I'll be at or maybe past the 6 month point at that stage. Emma86 just got her confirmation and it took 6 months for hers. Have you tried calling them yourself to see what the latest of yours is? The lady on the phone at the DFA did say that they have been extremely busy this summer and autumn with more than the usual number of applications.

From what I have seen from making a note of peoples timelines they have posted on this thread, it appears that applications from the USA take on average 4 months and about 3 weeks to get to the confirmation / approved stage. So in a best case scenario you probably have another month and a half to wait.

Good luck with it. Remember, as a 1990s UK Guinness ad campaign wisely said - Good things come to those who wait! :)

spav01
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by spav01 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:47 pm

Michael123 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:08 pm

Spav01, Any news on your application?
No, nothing yet.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:44 pm

Congrats Emma.

Thanks Spav.

Brawn, I understand that but also consider that PasadenaTom was 13 weeks and it was in his mailbox without advanced notice of approval.

Jezabel
Newly Registered
Ireland

Sibling applying for FBR

Post by Jezabel » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:56 pm

I wonder does anyone have any experience that could help me...

I successfully applied to be entered on the FBR last year though descent from my Grandmother, and received my Certificate in May; now, my sister wants to apply - is there any way that she can link to my application as our claim is exactly the same?

Just hoping that it might make things easier... any advice appreciated!

:) Good luck to all

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Re: Sibling applying for FBR

Post by PasadenaTom » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:56 am

Jezabel wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:56 pm
Just hoping that it might make things easier... any advice appreciated!
I've seen previous posts from people who applied with siblings at the same time - but not separately. There is no published set of requirements for siblings of people who are already in the FBR. So I think you have to think about how this might make it easier for DFA. You can send them a message and ask them if your information would help.

Otherwise, I'd suggest she include a photocopy of your FBR certificate along with a cover letter that explains her relationship to you (and include your certificate number in the letter). Maybe it will help a bit. But surely it cannot hurt. Your sister should still send all the required documents. Otherwise, that might add some delay.

If you look at Michael123's post on 14-November, you'll see that DFA told him that they were currently reviewing applications received 9-August, and that they thought they would process about 100 applications in a month's time. So his application was just waiting in a queue for three months.

I mention that because I think most of your sister's waiting time will be consumed simply waiting for applications received before hers to be completed. I doubt your FBR status will cause DFA to move hers to the head of the queue. Where there might be some value is if it somehow lessens the time DFA needs to spend reviewing her application. I don't know what they do to verify documentation. So whether it would save them or cost them time to review your file can only be speculated. But as I say, even if your FBR status is not considered, it shouldn't hurt to provide the extra information.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:05 pm

[/quote]
If you look at Michael123's post on 14-November, you'll see that DFA told him that they were currently reviewing applications received 9-August, and that they thought they would process about 100 applications in a month's time. So his application was just waiting in a queue for three months.
[/quote]

Good point, 100 per month would be 25 per week and 5 per day. I would think that to be only processing 5 per day that there is some extensive research, they are short staffed or not dedicating much time to the FBR applications.

Still hoping to hear something soon.

bostonceltics
Newly Registered

Post by bostonceltics » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:23 pm

My Final update :

8th July: Applied online : 8th July
20th July: Documents Received by London Embassy
7th November : E-mail from DFA requesting clarification re: marriage cert (Grandmother) and additional document
8th November : Additional Documents Sent to DFA in Ireland
12th November: Documents Received by DFA
15th November : E-mail from DFA confirming application approved and forwarded for FBR certificate printing
6th December : Certificate arrived in the post (via London Embassy)

5 Months in total :)

It did not arrive with a passport application form but I read earlier that PasadenaTom had requested a passport form before getting the certificate. I requested a form from London Embassy when Dublin advised I was confirmed in the register and the passport form arrived on the 4th Dec. So, I would recommend that once you get the e-mail confirmation of FBR entry, that you contact your embassy for a passport form.

All the best to those still awaiting, particularly Michael123.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:02 pm

bostonceltics wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:23 pm
My Final update :

8th July: Applied online : 8th July
20th July: Documents Received by London Embassy
7th November : E-mail from DFA requesting clarification re: marriage cert (Grandmother) and additional document
8th November : Additional Documents Sent to DFA in Ireland
12th November: Documents Received by DFA
15th November : E-mail from DFA confirming application approved and forwarded for FBR certificate printing
6th December : Certificate arrived in the post (via London Embassy)

5 Months in total :)

It did not arrive with a passport application form but I read earlier that PasadenaTom had requested a passport form before getting the certificate. I requested a form from London Embassy when Dublin advised I was confirmed in the register and the passport form arrived on the 4th Dec. So, I would recommend that once you get the e-mail confirmation of FBR entry, that you contact your embassy for a passport form.

All the best to those still awaiting, particularly Michael123.

Congratulations and thanks! Please dont make it your final update. Im sure many of here would like to see your progression through the passport stage as well.

Larry Bird forever! 🤣

brawn401
Mood:
Ireland

Post by brawn401 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:42 pm

Congratulations bostonceltics that’s awesome news and glad it came to a speedy conclusion after the document request.

Did you apply from The UK? I applied just before you to the London embassy and mine has only just been sent for final decision a few weeks ago with no request for extra docs!

There seems to be no definite order in which these applications are processed in :-D

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:19 am

Comhghairdeas , do shaoránach na hÉireann - bostonceltics!

(Congratulations, citizen of Ireland!)

Full disclosure: I used Google translate. Don't ask me to pronounce it.

bostonceltics
Newly Registered

Post by bostonceltics » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:26 pm

Michael123 ...... thanks, I will update when I get the passport. I may not apply until Christmas time when I get a break from work to sort out properly. Yep, Larry Legend forever :mrgreen:

PasadenaTom ... cheers, I could only muster ...."Erin go bragh" :D I am going to a wedding in Ireland in April (hopefully, armed with new passport) so I will try it out then !

brawn401 - Thank you. Yes, I applied via the London embassy. I was surprised to effectively be cleared in 4 months but the person that contacted me was very efficient in communicating what was required and to confirm that the additional docs were received and that the certificate was being printed. I think it is very much luck of the draw looking at the various timelines that people have posted during 2018. Hope you hear confirmation before Christmas Day.

Rj87
Newly Registered
Zimbabwe

Post by Rj87 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:08 pm

Good day
Has anyone applied through Pretoria embassy ?

Any advise as to how long they take via Pretoria

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:09 am

Sean015, Spav.... anything, anything at all? Not getting any news is crushing my hopes of this happening before Christmas! I check my email before pulling the blankets off me and at this point, Im checking my junk folder too!🤪

brawn401
Mood:
Ireland

Post by brawn401 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:18 pm

Hey rj87,

I haven't seen anyone on this board apply from the SA embassy yet, so not sure if anyone on here would be able to comment on processing time unless they are a Newbie (or hiding! :-D).

However your comment piqued my interest so I thought I would have a look. I found the following site: https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/south- ... ion-guide/

So it seems that when you apply from SA, you probably apply to the embassy and then they will process the application (look through the documents etc to check eligibility) and then send to Dublin for final processing. This is what they do at the London embassy. For the London embassy, they say that there is at least a 6 month waiting time. I am at about 5.5 months and no certificate or email confirmation yet, but it is currently in Dublin, so that seems to be tracking towards the stated time. I'd imagine that it is probably around the same for SA applications, but couldn't say for sure.

If you're in the USA then unlike the UK (and probably SA) you apply directly to Dublin
https://www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/usa/ou ... ion-guide/
But from the USA (unless you are lucky, as some on this thread have been), it is the same 6 month processing time that is stated.
https://www.dfa.ie/passports-citizenshi ... ign-birth/

I'd also note Michael123's comment a month or so back indicating that there is less manpower at the FBR office in Dublin than there was earlier in the year, so this mixed with the swathe of incoming applications may mean it is tracking back at the 6 month processing time now, whereas before it did seem to be a little quicker.

Michael -
Michael123 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:09 am
Sean015, Spav.... anything, anything at all? Not getting any news is crushing my hopes of this happening before Christmas! I check my email before pulling the blankets off me and at this point, Im checking my junk folder too!🤪
You're 112 days in now (just about 4 months) - only 2-3 weeks off what I saw as the average processing time for US applicants, so you might hear something before Christmas, you might not until the new year. If you are desparate, why don't you give them a call. That's a sure fire way to find out the actual status :)