ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

spav01
Newly Registered
United States of America

Re: Foreign Birth Registration?

Post by spav01 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:34 pm

I just got the email. "Congratulations you are now an Irish citizen". So excited! So Michael123 you shouldn't have too much more of a wait.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:50 pm

Congrats!! Sean015 should be hearing back today or tomorrow as well.

I can only imagine that I am in the advaced stage now.

spav01
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by spav01 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:52 pm

I requested the passport application form from the NY consulate, and received an email that it should be here in 7 - 10 business days.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:41 am

sean015 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:13 pm
Michael123 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:33 pm
I called Dublin this morning. The man said “we are currently reviewing applications that were recieved on 8/9 and yours was recieved on 8/21, there are about 100 ahead of you. So, I would give it about a months time.”

So, it appears that Sean015 is being reviewed now maybe even the 2nd stage.
Thanks for the info! I will let you know when I get any further news. It sounds like it won't be too much longer for either of us.

Sean015, did you get the congratulations email as Spav did?? you both had your applications received the same day.

sean015
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by sean015 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:19 pm

Michael123 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:41 am
sean015 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:13 pm
Michael123 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:33 pm
I called Dublin this morning. The man said “we are currently reviewing applications that were recieved on 8/9 and yours was recieved on 8/21, there are about 100 ahead of you. So, I would give it about a months time.”

So, it appears that Sean015 is being reviewed now maybe even the 2nd stage.
Thanks for the info! I will let you know when I get any further news. It sounds like it won't be too much longer for either of us.

Sean015, did you get the congratulations email as Spav did?? you both had your applications received the same day.
I just checked my inbox, but nothing is there so far. But this is good news, and I would hope to hear something within the next few days I think(hope)!

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:29 pm

Called Dublin today. I explained that I called a month ago and was told I had 100 applications ahead of me and to call back in a month. She asked for my application number and verified by name and DOB. She advised me when application was recieved and not to expect anything until February. I had advised her that other people had posted that they were receiving the Congratulations emails in 4 months from the recieved date. She told me that is not accurate and I must be reading old posts as they have not been granting FBR in 4 months in a very long time.

nick1066
Newly Registered

Post by nick1066 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:11 pm

I've been lurking for a while and thanks to all posters who've made the waiting more bearable.

My basic timeline (via London) for an application based on a Belfast born grandfather (1885) is as follows:

Application received (email) 18th July 2018

Added unknowingly to FBR 14th November

Paperwork and certificate returned 13th December

I didn't call them and they didn't ask for more information so shorter timescale than the 6 months they said initially.

My only worry was a divorced (deceased) father whose widow reported his death and whose name is different from my mother. They didn't need a divorce cert which was lucky as I did not have it.

Now to concentrate on a new British passport to make sure I don't get a stupid blue one.

Mckane36
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by Mckane36 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:39 pm

Nick1066 I think you mean to concentrate on a new irish passport to make sure you don't get a stupid blue one :D

mmm5892
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by mmm5892 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:04 am

Rj87 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:08 pm
Good day
Has anyone applied through Pretoria embassy ?

Any advise as to how long they take via Pretoria
Not sure about Pretoria, but my colleague applied from Cape Town in 2017 and it took her less than 5 months for FBR cert. 6 weeks or so after receiving it she got her passport. She sure is thrilled about the travel flexibility in comparison to her SA passport!

156Nathan
Newly Registered

Post by 156Nathan » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:07 pm

One final update for you guys,

I received my Certificate and supporting documents in the mail yesterday, December 13th after submitting on June 14th, making it literally one day before the 6 month processing time. (Applying from U.K. Via London Embassy)

My application was in relation to an Irish Grandparent, no additional documents were requested. My application was witnessed by a medical Doctor, and my passport was also certified by a medical Doctor.

When I received the Certificate in the mail, they didn’t include a Passport application, however, after reading on here I had already requested a Passport application form, so I was all set to go and also mailed out my Passport application yesterday afternoon.

Good luck to everyone still waiting, and happy Holidays! 🎄 ☘️

danielr
Newly Registered

Post by danielr » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:16 pm

Just starting my application. Applying through my grandad being born in Ireland. The Irish website says I need to have a copy of my parent and my own passport photo page certified/ notarized. Do they mean both or either. If just certified is the post office allowed to do this? Also it says I need the application and photos witnessed and then gives birth a list of professions including a headteacher. I work in a school but the headteacher has only been in their post for a few months, is there a minimum amount of time the witness must have known you. Thanks to anyone who can help.

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:08 pm

danielr wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:16 pm
Do they mean both or either is OK. If just certified is the post office allowed to do this?
Either. I don't know where you live. But if it is in the UK, the post office will certify a passport copy.
danielr wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:16 pm
... is there a minimum amount of time the witness must have known you?
I don't believe so. They also will accept a witness who doesn't know you, but knows someone who knows you, So, I think they just want a reputable person to confirm the identity of the applicant. Mine was witnessed by an attorney. We know each other because we work for the same company. But I've only had a couple of business-related conversations with him. Otherwise, we've had no interactions.

PasadenaTom
United States of America

Post by PasadenaTom » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:05 am

156Nathan wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:07 pm

I received my Certificate and supporting documents in the mail yesterday, December 13th after submitting on June 14th, making it literally one day before the 6 month processing time. (Applying from U.K. Via London Embassy)
Congratulations!!!

I have a feeling the six month processing time may be discouraging to Michael123. But I don't think that you can compare applications that go through London to those submitted directly to Dublin. After all 156Nathan mentioned in October that he was told in October that his application had "recently" been forwarded to Dublin for final processing. His application was sent in June, which means it was in London for 3-4 months. My guess is that applications sent to embassies undergo some initial assessment there - which is what happens with passport applications submitted to embassies and consulates.

brawn401
Mood:
Ireland

Post by brawn401 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:37 pm

PasadenaTom wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:05 am
My guess is that applications sent to embassies undergo some initial assessment there - which is what happens with passport applications submitted to embassies and consulates.
Hey Tom

I think you’re right on the money there. I applied from the UK and when I called Dublin the other day they did confirm to me that they review the documents in the London embassy before going to Dublin. Then they review them again in Dublin before sending to the Minister for final approval and entry to the register. The processing time from London to getting the documents to Dublin seems to take a while and that is presumably because of the large amount of applications from the UK at the moment - thanks Brexit!

I’m at the final stage - sent for final approval. The lady on the phone in Dublin said there is a huge backlog of applications at the moment - not just from the UK but worldwide. So I think mine is going to go over the 6 month period as I applied at the beginning of July. This seems also to be borne out by Michael123’s comment the other day informing him not to expect anything until February, which would also be 6 months.

There definitely doesn’t seem to be any kind of order in which these applications are processed though, as there are a few people on this thread who have applied from London via the embassy after I did and who have received confirmation of register entry already. It is just luck of the draw!

Good luck to everyone with applications outstanding / in progress!

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:41 pm

I agree that the UK applications take longer. I was wondering why the UK applications need to apply via the Embassy, do they want a record if who has dual citizenship and the US doesn’t care?

Tues will be my 17th week but Fri will be my 4th month by date to date (8/21 - 12/21).

As far as my call to Dublin, I think I got the standard “6 month” response as Spav had received his “congratulations” email around the 4th month.

Spav and Sean both had their applications received the same day (8/3), to date we have only heard that Spav was successful and still waiting for a response from Sean. It is possible that Sean will not get the “congratulations”’ email as some have not, resulting in a suprise delivery...

With just over a week left, still hoping to get a great Christmas gift.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:46 pm

156Nathan wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:07 pm

My application was in relation to an Irish Grandparent, no additional documents were requested. My application was witnessed by a medical Doctor, and my passport was also certified by a medical Doctor.

When I received the Certificate in the mail, they didn’t include a Passport application, however, after reading on here I had already requested a Passport application form, so I was all set to go and also mailed out my Passport application yesterday afternoon.

Good luck to everyone still waiting, and happy Holidays! 🎄 ☘️

Congratulations! Did you get a “congratulations” email?

156Nathan
Newly Registered

Post by 156Nathan » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:52 pm

Thanks Michael. I didn’t get a ‘Congratulations’ email, however, when I emailed for an update mid November they replied saying “My application was approved on Nov 9th, we’re waiting for your certificate to be printed and arrive from Dublin”

My actual certificate says I was added on November 6th, so it took over a month just to print the certificate and mail it to me via Lodon.

Good luck with yours’ and hopefully it will be with you by Christmas. 🤞

THB
Newly Registered

Post by THB » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:08 am

Hi Sorry if this has been asked before, but do they really hang on to all your documents while they are processing the application? I don't want to lose my birth certificate, parents', grandparents' docs for 6 months+!!!

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:13 pm

Yes, you will get them back with the FBR cert

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:41 am

Hi THB

Yes, They do retain the documents you supply for the entire period of the FBR process. You will only get them back at the very end with your FBR certificate.

If being without these documents makes you uneasy, then simply order more certified copies from the GRO or official records office in your jurisdiction. I did not have most of the certificates and had to order them. It is possible to do this online and they will be with you in a few weeks. Cost varies by country, but typically between GBP10 and GBP20 per certificate.

Sulla
Member of Standing
Portugal

Post by Sulla » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:12 am

I will provide a quick timeline of my experience thus far with the FBR process.

Applied in Beijing on August 14th 2018. I had to actually physically go there and submit all the documents in person. No direct to Dublin or postal application to London embassy for us folks in China. Strictly old school here. Obviously, if someone is not prepared to take a couple of days off work (because our missions only open a for a few hours a day on weekdays), put their hand in their pocket for a plane ticket and traverse one of the world's larger countries in their quest for Irish citizenship, then they just don't want it badly enough. Anyway, I did that. The upside being that I know my documents are alright as they were checked in front of me. I was told the process was that the documents would be checked again in Dublin and it would take about 4 months.

29th November 2018. After 3.5 months of radio silence, I decided to E-Mail Beijing to find out the state of play. I received a brief reply fairly promptly. It stated that "your application has been submitted for a decision". I'm not entirely sure what to make of that. It could mean final decision or initial decision. I did not query it further.

18th December 2018. Still waiting. I have restrained myself from calling or E-mailing Dublin or the embassy every few days. I know it is frustrating and tempting to do so. Ultimately, I would gauge it to be counterproductive though. Consuming staff time in answering questions just detracts from time they can spend reviewing the applications. I think the chances of receipt before Christmas are practically nil. I am hopeful for January 2019.

All the best to everyone who contributes here.

sean015
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by sean015 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:59 pm

Michael123 and anyone else who may be interested:

I got the congratulations email this morning, so I am now an official Irish citizen! Best wishes to those who are still waiting!

Now it is onto the passport stage...

-Sean

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:06 pm

Congrats Sean!

That was a good few days between you and Spav. My Cousin called today, she also applied for her FBR. She filed the application on line a week before me, we sent both our application in the same package and both received the same day. She was informed that she still had a few months to wait.

Michael123
Member of Standing
United States of America

Post by Michael123 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:19 pm

sean015 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:59 pm
Michael123 and anyone else who may be interested:

I got the congratulations email this morning, so I am now an official Irish citizen! Best wishes to those who are still waiting!

Now it is onto the passport stage...

-Sean

Sean and Spav, would you guys mind sharing the last 2-3 digits of your application number? I would like to get a sense of how many are being processed per day.

spav01
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by spav01 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:45 am

Last 3 on mine are 131