ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EU Withdrawal Agreement - Surinder Singh:

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

NikiGio
Member of Standing
Mood:
Italy

Re: Can you work on expired UK residence card?

Post by NikiGio » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:23 pm

Obie wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:41 pm
In light of Eind, a British Citizen do not need to be employed upon their return home.
It seems Obie already answered your question a week ago - did you see that response?
So you should just go ahead and apply for PR for your wife - the maximum you risk is £65 and time. If you get rejected, suggest you consult a lawyer.
Or you can wait for March for your wife to apply for Settled Status.
If you have more doubts - you should formally consult a lawyer now or the pro-bono lawyers at UKCEN - they give advice over Facebook. Not sure what more can be said about your case.
I am not an immigration lawyer. My comments are opinions, not legal advice.

mufc69

Post by mufc69 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:20 am

NikiGio wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:23 pm
Obie wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:41 pm
In light of Eind, a British Citizen do not need to be employed upon their return home.
It seems Obie already answered your question a week ago - did you see that response?
So you should just go ahead and apply for PR for your wife - the maximum you risk is £65 and time. If you get rejected, suggest you consult a lawyer.
Or you can wait for March for your wife to apply for Settled Status.
If you have more doubts - you should formally consult a lawyer now or the pro-bono lawyers at UKCEN - they give advice over Facebook. Not sure what more can be said about your case.
If I receive carers allowance for caring for my daughter and also receive child tax credit which is in both of our names would that affect my wife’s application for permanent residence if we apply as self sufficient? My wife earns a good salary and we survive on it ,my wife also wife has health insurance.

NikiGio
Member of Standing
Mood:
Italy

Post by NikiGio » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:35 am

I suggest you take time to carefully read back through all the previous answers and advice that has been given to you by multiple people previously, as you seem to keep re-asking the same questions and not reading the answers.
I am not an immigration lawyer. My comments are opinions, not legal advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: EU Withdrawal Agreement - Surinder Singh:

Post by CR001 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:58 am

All your topics have now been merged. As the previous user suggests, please read through all the responses and links you have been provided since last year.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mufc69

Post by mufc69 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:12 pm

Hello,my wife's residence card expires in May next year and I have not been a qualified person for all of those 5 years, I would like to know if I was to renounce my British citizenship and use my Irish citizenship can I re-apply for a residence card for my wife..that's IF brexit doesn't happen and she can't therefore apply for EU settled status which is meant to be much easier and straight forward :?:

mufc69

Renounce Citizenship / UK residence card

Post by mufc69 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:52 pm

Hello,

My wife’s UK residence card expires next year and I have not been a qualified person for those 5 years continuous so most likely our application will be rejected so I’m now looking at other possible options.

If I was to renounce my British Citizenship and rely on my Irish Citizenship is it possible to reapply for my wife’s residence card??

We did plan to apply through the governments EU settlement scheme if it goes ahead but it’s looking likely that Brexit will be reversed in Parliament.

mufc69

Surinder Singh - Switching to UK visa?

Post by mufc69 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:52 pm

hello, my wife is in the UK under Surinder Singh I would just like to know if its possible for my wife to apply for a UK partner/family visa under UK immigration rules even though she has an EU/UK residence card?

JulietSoul
Israel

Re: Surinder Singh - Switching to UK visa?

Post by JulietSoul » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:28 pm

I think it's possible but I wonder why would you want to do that? The Surinder Singh route is a much quicker and cheaper way of gaining PR and naturalisation.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:38 pm

If you read through the VERY extensive other topic the user has, you will see why they likely won't qualify for PR under the SS route.

Additionally, the users spouse has also applied for Irish citizenship last year and waiting for the outcome after being asked for additional documentation.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mufc69

Post by mufc69 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:48 pm

JulietSoul wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:28 pm
I think it's possible but I wonder why would you want to do that? The Surinder Singh route is a much quicker and cheaper way of gaining PR and naturalisation.
Hello, we won’t qualify for permanent residence as i wasn’t a qualified person for 5 years continuously. So looking at other options. I called UKVI this morning they told me that it is possible to switch to UK visa as long as we meet the other requirements and that the turnaround times were 8 weeks.

JulietSoul
Israel

Post by JulietSoul » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:17 pm

mufc69 wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:48 pm
JulietSoul wrote:
Hello, we won’t qualify for permanent residence as i wasn’t a qualified person for 5 years continuously. So looking at other options. I called UKVI this morning they told me that it is possible to switch to UK visa as long as we meet the other requirements and that the turnaround times were 8 weeks.
Great, good luck!

mufc69

Post by mufc69 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:33 pm

JulietSoul wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:17 pm
mufc69 wrote:
JulietSoul wrote:
Great, good luck!
Thank you very much

mufc69

EEA Family Permit: ILR vs Residence card

Post by mufc69 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:09 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:59 pm
You should not have applied for British citizenship so early, but waited until your spouse had completed five years under EU law and acquired PR.

Does your wife have any residence in the UK before 2013/her marriage to you?

Have you formally renounced your original EEA citizenship? I.E. did you write to their Embassy/authorities or apply for a formal document stating renunciation?

Not sure how Lounes interacts with a situation like this. You have undoubtedly acquired PR under EU law and that should persist. However, if you have surrendered your non-UK EEA citizenship, you will no longer be able to sponsor any family member under EU law.

For any of the options that you have listed to apply, the sponsor must be an EEA citizen, except the Surinder Singh route.

I would wait for others to comment, but I think the only way forward may be for the non-EEA spouse to apply under the FLR(M) route as the spouse of a British citizen. S/he will then be eligible for ILR after 5 further years (and another FLR(M) renewal in 2.5 years) and will only be eligible for British citizenship in ten years time (because currently s/he is an overstayer. Her automatic right to reside in the UK ended when you surrendered your non-UK EEA citizenship and will only resume when she gets her FLR(M)).
Hi Simon, is it possible to switch from an EU/UK residence card issued under Surinder Singh to UK domestic law by using FLR (M) if the applicants meet all the requirements set out such as income requirement and English etc?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:58 pm

mufc69, I have merged all your threads together so that anybody responding can see your whole history together. Please keep your queries within this thread as your history is somewhat involved.

I do not have the answers to your questions. But I am sure that somebody more knowledgeable than me would come along to respond.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:51 pm

mufc69 wrote:
I called UKVI this morning they told me that it is possible to switch to UK visa as long as we meet the other requirements and that the turnaround times were 8 weeks.
One of the requirements is that your wife be in the UK lawfully or that it would be unreasonable or infeasible for your British children to depart the UK. If your wife has ceased to be in the UK lawfully, e.g. by your not being 'self-sufficient' and Eind not being valid (or not being relevant), she will depend on the latter provision, Immigration Rule EX.1. I can read the EEA Regulations as saying that a period of your not being as a qualified person or recently arrived EEA citizen terminates rather than suspends your rights under Surinder Singh.

mufc69

Post by mufc69 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:00 pm

Richard W wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:51 pm
mufc69 wrote:
I called UKVI this morning they told me that it is possible to switch to UK visa as long as we meet the other requirements and that the turnaround times were 8 weeks.
One of the requirements is that your wife be in the UK lawfully or that it would be unreasonable or infeasible for your British children to depart the UK. If your wife has ceased to be in the UK lawfully, e.g. by your not being 'self-sufficient' and Eind not being valid (or not being relevant), she will depend on the latter provision, Immigration Rule EX.1. I can read the EEA Regulations as saying that a period of your not being as a qualified person or recently arrived EEA citizen terminates rather than suspends your rights under Surinder Singh.
I’m sorry but I don’t understand what you mean?

What do you mean by terminates rather than suspends rights under Surinder Singh?

Richard W
- thin ice -

Post by Richard W » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:19 pm

mufc69 wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:00 pm
Richard W wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:51 pm
mufc69 wrote:
I’m sorry but I don’t understand what you mean?

What do you mean by terminates rather than suspends rights under Surinder Singh?
It's OK; I'd misremembered EEA Regulation 9(2):
The conditions are that—
(a)BC—
(i)is residing in an EEA State as a worker, self-employed person, self-sufficient person or a student, or so resided immediately before returning to the United Kingdom; or
(ii)has acquired the right of permanent residence in an EEA State;
(b)F and BC resided together in the EEA State; and
(c)F and BC’s residence in the EEA State was genuine.
I was under the horrifying misapprehension that the residence had to be immediately before the period of having a right of residence. An intervening period without having a right of residence would have terminated the rights. Fortunately, I was wrong. I apologise.

mufc69

Post by mufc69 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:24 pm

Hello, I have previously posted although I would like some clarification on my query.

My wife is in the UK (NI) under Surinder Singh, her residence card will expire in May 2019, her permanent residence will be refused as I have not been a qualified person for 5 continuous years as I left work last year to care for my daughter who i receive carers allowance for.

I also hold an Irish passport/citizenship, I would like to know if I was to relinquish my British citizenship could I reapply for a residence card based on my Irish citizenship and as qualified person by exercising treaty rights?

mufc69

Post by mufc69 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:11 pm

mufc69 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:24 pm
Hello, I have previously posted although I would like some clarification on my query.

My wife is in the UK (NI) under Surinder Singh, her residence card will expire in May 2019, her permanent residence will be refused as I have not been a qualified person for 5 continuous years as I left work last year to care for my daughter who i receive carers allowance for.

I also hold an Irish passport/citizenship, I would like to know if I was to relinquish my British citizenship could I reapply for a residence card based on my Irish citizenship and as qualified person by exercising treaty rights?
Anyone?