ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UKM application experience and timeline

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

luthersnowak
United States of America

Re: UKM application experience and timeline

Post by luthersnowak » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:44 pm

A quick question for applicants in the USA. How were you contacted to schedule your citizenship ceremony? I know it can tak up to 12 weeks to be contacted. It’s only been 5 weeks since my approval date. I’m curious, as I live in Alaska, so attending a ceremony involves quite a bit of travel for me. The closest consulate to me is in San Fransico. That being said, I would prefer to attend a ceremony in Boston, as I have family there and it would save me quite a bit of money. Does anyone know who I can contact to inquire about this possibility? I indicated on my application my preference for utilizing the Boston consulate. I’ve also emailed “citizenship.support@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk“ but have received no response

Thank you!

bletchlypark
United States of America

Post by bletchlypark » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:34 pm

I have finally applied! Plan to send all my doc's in Wednesday

Eligibility Criteria: UKM
Nationality: United States
Applying from: Unites States
Method of application: Online with documents sent via DHL
Payment method: Credit card
Date of application: December 17, 2018
Date documents sent: December 19, 2018 (Planned)
Date of receipt by UKVI: PENDING
Date funds withdrawn: PENDING
Date of UKVI acknowledgement email: PENDING
Date of letter requesting bio-metrics: PENDING
Bio-metrics done: PENDING
Date of approval: PENDING
Date of ceremony: PENDING
Date applied for passport: PENDING
Date passports received: PENDING

a_powers
United States of America

Post by a_powers » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:40 pm

hlassell wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:04 pm
Well after 2 days of stressing out and subsequently yelling at FedEx. They finally get back to me that the driver did deliver it to the correct place but "accidently chose pharmacy as the delivery location." Of course at that point I still haven't heard back from my caseworker so I was still stressed and not exactly confident in FedEx or their driver. Another day later I finally got an email back from my caseworker. He said he didn't have my documents YET but he did confirm that XYZ is an employee there so I should feel confident that my documents are at the Capital Building as they were addressed.
Sorry to hear your troubles. I knew they got mine when the credit card was charged. I went cheap and risky US postal service first class and it worked out.

a_powers
United States of America

Post by a_powers » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:50 pm

luthersnowak wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:44 pm
A quick question for applicants in the USA. How were you contacted to schedule your citizenship ceremony? I know it can tak up to 12 weeks to be contacted. It’s only been 5 weeks since my approval date. I’m curious, as I live in Alaska, so attending a ceremony involves quite a bit of travel for me. The closest consulate to me is in San Fransico. That being said, I would prefer to attend a ceremony in Boston, as I have family there and it would save me quite a bit of money. Does anyone know who I can contact to inquire about this possibility? I indicated on my application my preference for utilizing the Boston consulate. I’ve also emailed “citizenship.support@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk“ but have received no response

Thank you!
Someone from the NYC Consulate called me and then they sent an email for the appointment. From the time I got the approval letter to the making of the appointment was about 3-4 weeks. Things may have changes as this was about 2 years ago.

Shaun45
South Africa

Post by Shaun45 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:44 am

After panicking a bit regarding the return of my original documents, I finally received them in the post this morning. The strange thing is I suddenly received an email yesterday from my case worker with the tracking number for my documents. It was posted in the UK on the 2nd October and arrived at my local post office on the 6th December. My approval letter was also enclosed dated 2nd October.

My citizenship ceremony went well on Friday. It was surprisingly relaxed and informal. I applied and paid for my passport on the weekend. I've printed the documents. Luckily my countersignatory is still available and will need to pay him a visit this week.

I did make a small mistake on my online application and hope it will be ok. Under the details for my mother, I filled in her maiden surname and not her married surname as indicated on her passport. I am however including a copy of her South Africa ID which indicates her maiden and married surname. Hopefully they will see this. After I have reached the printing stage on my online passport application is there anyway to go back and rectify the mistake?

balles
Somalia

Post by balles » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:41 pm

Shaun45 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:44 am
After panicking a bit regarding the return of my original documents, I finally received them in the post this morning. The strange thing is I suddenly received an email yesterday from my case worker with the tracking number for my documents. It was posted in the UK on the 2nd October and arrived at my local post office on the 6th December. My approval letter was also enclosed dated 2nd October.

My citizenship ceremony went well on Friday. It was surprisingly relaxed and informal. I applied and paid for my passport on the weekend. I've printed the documents. Luckily my countersignatory is still available and will need to pay him a visit this week.

I did make a small mistake on my online application and hope it will be ok. Under the details for my mother, I filled in her maiden surname and not her married surname as indicated on her passport. I am however including a copy of her South Africa ID which indicates her maiden and married surname. Hopefully they will see this. After I have reached the printing stage on my online passport application is there anyway to go back and rectify the mistake?
My Wife made an error with regard to her Grandfather’s date of birth. She included a covering letter to that effect with the supporting documents. In any event I should think that names of your Mother are superfluous, as the issue of your passport is premised on the citizenship registration certificate which you will submit.

Shaun45
South Africa

Post by Shaun45 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:47 pm

balles wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:41 pm
Shaun45 wrote:

My Wife made an error with regard to her Grandfather’s date of birth. She included a covering letter to that effect with the supporting documents. In any event I should think that names of your Mother are superfluous, as the issue of your passport is premised on the citizenship registration certificate which you will submit.
Correct. I do find it strange that you have to fill in your parents details on the passport application. As mentioned it's superfluous as all that really matters is your registration certificate.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:49 pm

Shaun45 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:47 pm
balles wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:41 pm
Shaun45 wrote:

Correct. I do find it strange that you have to fill in your parents details on the passport application. As mentioned it's superfluous as all that really matters is your registration certificate.
It is for identity purposes should you be interviewed usually and also to check an applicant is not auto British by descent etc. Remember it is a generic form for all routes to a passport. Even those of us who naturalised after 3 or 5 years residence have to complete parents details.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ashort
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by ashort » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:52 pm

hlassell wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:04 pm
Well after 2 days of stressing out and subsequently yelling at FedEx. They finally get back to me that the driver did deliver it to the correct place but "accidently chose pharmacy as the delivery location." Of course at that point I still haven't heard back from my caseworker so I was still stressed and not exactly confident in FedEx or their driver. Another day later I finally got an email back from my caseworker. He said he didn't have my documents YET but he did confirm that XYZ is an employee there so I should feel confident that my documents are at the Capital Building as they were addressed.
The exact same thing happened to me on 12/12/18 (but with my original passport and supporting docs). the FedEx delivery confirmation said it was delivered to "pharmacy." I called the Tesco Express on Old Hall St. last week and they said that they did not receive a FedEx envelope from me and that the person who signed for my envelope was not employed there. FedEx has been no help whatsoever...they are waiting to hear from their UK courier office. I have an escalated case open with UKVI and as recently as this morning they communicated that they still have not received my documents. Are you able to private message me from this forum to provide me with the name of the person who signed for your FedEx package? I would be happy to share the same info with you.

bletchlypark
United States of America

Post by bletchlypark » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:03 pm

I thought it might be helpful for others if I share my experience ordering certified birth certificates from GRO as it relates to the UKM application.

I submitted an order for my mothers birth certificate (BC) on 29 Oct 2018. I did not have the GRO reference number which I at the time did not know how to lookup. I provided what information I had including her date of birth, Names and location of birth (which ended up being wrong)

My order was marked as dispatched on 20 Nov 2018 via first class airmail to Tennessee in the United States. The estimated timeline indicated it would take about 2 weeks in the mail.

I waited 3 weeks and when the letter still did not arrive I contacted GRO on 6 Dec 2018 to see if there was an issue or they could send another copy.

On 12 Dec 2018 I received an email back, stating that my order had been dispatched on 19 Nov 2018 to the address provided which matched my address. The message stated I could call and request DHL delivery for an additional fee. So I called and paid the additional fee to have my order resent via DHL (was only about $10).

Then on 14 Dec 2018 I received an email stating they had refunded all my fees...
We have been unable to process your application, please refer to the paragraph below.

We have searched the indexes for events registered in England and Wales during the years specified (1947 - 1949). We have been unable to find any entry with the details you provided.
So quite discouraged at this point I started doing more research. Specifically how to get these GRO reference numbers which are apparently so important in this process. The GRO database only covers 1837-1917 and my mom was born in 1948 so it seemed like a dead end. Then I stumbled upon a link on the GRO website to another website with larger database. https://www.freebmd.org.uk/

This was a huge find for me and I was able to not only look up my mother but her parents as well.

With the GRO reference number in hand I placed a priority order with GRO on the same day 14 Dec 2018.

Then yesterday 17 Dec 2018 I received the original order via regular mail! The one that was sent on 20 Nov 2018. So it took about a month in the mail, incredible.

My 2nd order is now due to arrive tomorrow 19 Dec 2018 via DHL. I don't need it but too late to cancel.

Lessons Learned tl;dr:
1. When ordering a BC lookup the GRO reference number at https://www.freebmd.org.uk/ this takes about 3 weeks out of the process.
2. If international pay the extra fee for DHL.
3. Both of these combined will cut the time down to about a week vs nearly 2 months in my case.

PleasantThebest
South Africa

Post by PleasantThebest » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:08 am

Shaun45 wrote:

Nice. Odd question here.. what size envelope did your documents come back in? They have sent mine to my PO box but just concerned it won't fit in the box - and you know how useless our postal service is..

Shaun45
South Africa

Post by Shaun45 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:18 am

PleasantThebest wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:08 am
Shaun45 wrote:

Nice. Odd question here.. what size envelope did your documents come back in? They have sent mine to my PO box but just concerned it won't fit in the box - and you know how useless our postal service is..
I provided an A4 bubble wrap return envelope with my UKM application. As mentioned I suddenly received a email with the tracking number for my documents. Upon enquiry on the SAPO app it said it arrived at my local post office on the 6th December and that a 1st notification was sent notifying me that I had a international envelope. I never received a notification and neither was there a slip in my PO box at the post office. They had to scratch around at the back for my envelope and eventually found it.

PleasantThebest
South Africa

Post by PleasantThebest » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:49 am

Shaun45 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:18 am
PleasantThebest wrote:
Shaun45 wrote:

I provided an A4 bubble wrap return envelope with my UKM application. As mentioned I suddenly received a email with the tracking number for my documents. Upon enquiry on the SAPO app it said it arrived at my local post office on the 6th December and that a 1st notification was sent notifying me that I had a international envelope. I never received a notification and neither was there a slip in my PO box at the post office. They had to scratch around at the back for my envelope and eventually found it.
"Upon enquiry on the SAPO app.." is that http://www.southafricanpostoffice.post/ and pasting the Royal Mail tracking number into it?

Shaun45
South Africa

Post by Shaun45 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:40 am

PleasantThebest wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:49 am
Shaun45 wrote:
PleasantThebest wrote:
Shaun45 wrote:

"Upon enquiry on the SAPO app.." is that http://www.southafricanpostoffice.post/ and pasting the Royal Mail tracking number into it?
I'm not sure about the website. I just downloaded the app on my phone and it worked. I just entered the Royal Mail tracking number and it found it.

hlassell
Mood:
Canada

Post by hlassell » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:57 pm

a_powers wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:40 pm

Sorry to hear your troubles. I knew they got mine when the credit card was charged. I went cheap and risky US postal service first class and it worked out.
My original documents (I applied online so payment was taken immediately) were sent via Canada Post and go there just fine. This was a lawyer certified copy of my passport that my caseworker insisted on with a time crunch deadline. Canada Post is striking so the only way to ensure it got there on time was to use a courier. Frustrating experience to say the least.

hlassell
Mood:
Canada

Post by hlassell » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:58 pm

ashort wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:52 pm

The exact same thing happened to me on 12/12/18 (but with my original passport and supporting docs). the FedEx delivery confirmation said it was delivered to "pharmacy." I called the Tesco Express on Old Hall St. last week and they said that they did not receive a FedEx envelope from me and that the person who signed for my envelope was not employed there. FedEx has been no help whatsoever...they are waiting to hear from their UK courier office. I have an escalated case open with UKVI and as recently as this morning they communicated that they still have not received my documents. Are you able to private message me from this forum to provide me with the name of the person who signed for your FedEx package? I would be happy to share the same info with you.
And we've connected on Facebook. But I figured I'd reply here incase anyone else was curious. Looks like our packages were delivered the same day by the same FedEx employee. And signed for by the same person who does in fact (luckily) work at the Home Office.

hlassell
Mood:
Canada

Post by hlassell » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:00 pm

CR001 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:08 pm

Kindly do not name HO or any other company staff/employees on the forum.
Oops. Sorry!

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:13 pm

I've been contacted asking me to schedule my FedEx pickup for the documents to be returned, so I presume my process is done. I'll know tomorrow if pickup worked out ok.

bletchlypark
United States of America

Post by bletchlypark » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:29 pm

Sent in all my documents today, small issue with DHL which I will detail below.

Eligibility Criteria: UKM
Nationality: United States
Applying from: Unites States
Method of application: Online with documents sent via DHL
Payment method: Credit card
Date of application: Dec 17, 2018
Date documents sent: Dec 19, 2018
Date of UKVI acknowledgement email: Dec 18, 2018
Date of receipt by UKVI: Expected Dec 21, 2018
Date funds withdrawn: PENDING
Date of letter requesting bio-metrics: PENDING
Bio-metrics done: PENDING
Date of approval: PENDING
Date of ceremony: PENDING
Date applied for passport: PENDING
Date passports received: PENDING

Documents sent to UKIV as part of application:
My original birth certificate
My original current US Passport
Mother's birth certificate (Certified copy from GRO)
Mother's expired UK Passport
2 Referee declarations (With passport photo attached, although this my be unnecessary now)
Color copy of my drivers license front and back (Not required)
Cover Letter discussing the specifics of my case, instructions on returning my documents etc.

I was unable to obtain a return label. I tired for quite some time to figure it out online but had no luck. I called the customer service line and they told me that the service center would be able to print the return label for me. However, when I went to the service center they acted like I was crazy and couldn't provide me a return label either. Although, at this point I already wrote on my cover letter that I was going to enclose a return label, oh well. My hope is at some point when they are processing my application they get a hold of me and I will be able to email a return label to my caseworker. But who knows at this point, at least I got all my documents sent so the clock can start ticking.

bletchlypark
United States of America

Post by bletchlypark » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:34 pm

sunburn wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:13 pm
I've been contacted asking me to schedule my FedEx pickup for the documents to be returned, so I presume my process is done. I'll know tomorrow if pickup worked out ok.
You have been waiting a long time haven't you?

sunburn
United States of America

Post by sunburn » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:04 pm

bletchlypark wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:34 pm
Not really. Applied mid September, did biometrics 2 weeks ago. 3 months and change is good enough for me.

bletchlypark
United States of America

Post by bletchlypark » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:13 pm

sunburn wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:04 pm
bletchlypark wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:34 pm
Not really. Applied mid September, did biometrics 2 weeks ago. 3 months and change is good enough for me.
Not bad at all then, that gives me hope 8)

PleasantThebest
South Africa

Post by PleasantThebest » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:04 pm

Shaun45 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:40 am
PleasantThebest wrote:
Shaun45 wrote:
PleasantThebest wrote:

I'm not sure about the website. I just downloaded the app on my phone and it worked. I just entered the Royal Mail tracking number and it found it.
Thanks for this.. didn't know the PO had an app.. I downloaded it and plugged in the Royal Mail tracking number and it says its currently in the Port Elizabeth sorting hub.. so should be a matter of days before I get my docs back. Let us know how your passport application goes :)

Shaun45
South Africa

Post by Shaun45 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:10 pm

PleasantThebest wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:04 pm
Shaun45 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:40 am
PleasantThebest wrote:
Shaun45 wrote:
Thanks for this.. didn't know the PO had an app.. I downloaded it and plugged in the Royal Mail tracking number and it says its currently in the Port Elizabeth sorting hub.. so should be a matter of days before I get my docs back. Let us know how your passport application goes :)
I sent off my passport application yesterday with DHL. R 405 later. The processing will probably be a bit slower due to the festive season.

hlassell
Mood:
Canada

Post by hlassell » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:00 pm

sunburn wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:13 pm
That's exciting.