ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HMRC letter acknowledging amendment to tax return

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

michali
Member of Standing

HMRC letter acknowledging amendment to tax return

Post by michali » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:42 pm

I hope I am worrying unnecessarily but I often read of tax amendments causing a problem with ILR applications.

We submit our tax returns by June every year using the paper form as we were non resident for many years. This year, when my husband called in October as he had heard nothing about his tax return, he was told that there was no record of his return in the system ( my own which was sent on the same date at the same time was recorded) Luckily we had receipts of postage and delivery but, to be on the safe side and as the deadline was fast approaching, we redid the return. There were of course no changes to the compilations.

I had a very emotional phone call with HMRC experessing my distress at the fact that my husbands tax return was supposedly lost. Two days later we received our letters indicating that we owed nothing, which we knew to be true.

Now two months later my husband has received another letter thanking him for his amendment to his tax return and, again, stating no payment is due.

The word 'amendment' worries me as it looks like he changed the content of the return rather than the fact that he resent it because the first return had not been recorded and could not be traced.

When we apply for ILR should we explain this or are we OK? There is enough to worry about, without this! Sorry for the long lost!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: HMRC letter acknowledging amendment to tax return

Post by CR001 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:10 pm

The tax amendment and ILR issue is specific to the now closed tier 1 General route.

Note it is useful to state your visa route when posting a question like this so that members don't have to trawl through your post history to understand your circumstances.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

michali
Member of Standing

Re: HMRC letter acknowledging amendment to tax return

Post by michali » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:14 pm

So sorry! We are on the SET M route. Thanks for your reply, CR001.