ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

SET (M) Life in the UK

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

OhBoy
Mood:

SET (M) Life in the UK

Post by OhBoy » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:13 pm

I was in the process of applying for my (SA) wife’s final ILR permit (5 yr route) and noticed that the “life in the UK” test seems now to be a requirement! Which was news to me... I’m British by the way... I was doing the form online and just answered “no” to the question of whether she had taken/passed the life in the UK test, only afterwards reading that it seems now to be required.
I have not yet completed the form - so, I’m wondering should I press on with the set (m) application... without the life in the uk test... would this immediately invalidate the set (m) application? Her current permit expires mid Jan, so I need to get the permit renewed one way or another. I did have a quick look at the test, which I would have failed myself!... meaning, I doubt there is time for her to study for and pass the test in time.
I guess my question is - what to do? Press on with set (m)... or if I’ve read some similar questions correctly, should I apply for flr (m)? I think I read somewhere that flr (m) can later be converted to see (m) under some circumstances? Or maybe I dreamed that. I’m a bit confused...
If flr (m) is the way to go, how long do I apply for? Or probably the length of time on the flr (m) is not something I have choice in...
Help advice please...

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: SET (M) Life in the UK

Post by CR001 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:20 pm

LIUK has been a requirement for at least 7 years for ILR.

She needs the test and she also needs the English B1 test from an HO approved test provider.

Not providing either will likely result in a refusal of ILR.

She has time to do both tests. LIUK is a 24 question multiple choice computer based test. She needs to read the book and then practice on the many apps. Most past the test first time.

English test is also not an exam but lasts about 10-20 minutes.

She can extend her visa for a third time and then apply for ILR at any point in the future. She would have to pay the IHS and visa fee for FLR(M) and then pay the ILR fee again for ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:21 pm

Note you cannot choose the length of FLR(M), it is standard to issue it for 2.5 years.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:24 pm

Forgot to add, it is £50 for the LIUK test and £150 for the English test.

She also needs both for citizenship once she gets ILR.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

OhBoy
Mood:

Post by OhBoy » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:38 pm

I should’ve said, she already has the English language test... ielts I think it’s called. The life in the uk was completely unknown to me, 6 years + and I never know about it... oh well, I’ve ordered the iiuk books... will have to see how that does when they get here...
Thanks...

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:57 pm

You need to make 100% sure she has the correct level of test as for spouse visa A1 and A2 are required but for ILR and citizenship it must be B1.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

OhBoy
Mood:

Post by OhBoy » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:37 pm

Thanks CR001, what a great resource this is.
As far as I have just checked, her ielts, even though it’s now expired (over 2 years old) it can still be used as long as it’s the same one used at the start of the same process. Ive looked at the certificate, but cannot ascertain whether it is a1 or b1 or any other ident. It has a list of bands on the reverse...
I’ll have to try and find out a bit more about that - thanks for the heads-up...

NomiKaay

Post by NomiKaay » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:56 am

OhBoy wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:38 pm
I should’ve said, she already has the English language test... ielts I think it’s called. The life in the uk was completely unknown to me, 6 years + and I never know about it... oh well, I’ve ordered the iiuk books... will have to see how that does when they get here...
Thanks...
From experience, I can tell you to just get the audio books for LIUK test from eBay for about £3. Listen through it whilst commuting / cooking / any other activity for a week or so and I am certain she will pass. Did that as part of my commute to work which lasts a combined time of 45 mins both ways to pass the test within 4 mins of sitting it.

OhBoy
Mood:

Post by OhBoy » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:10 am

Thanks NomiKaay. I have ordered such an audiobook. And thank you for the suggestion...

OhBoy
Mood:

Post by OhBoy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:00 am

Thanks for all help on this. She’s off today for LIUK test, fingers crossed.
Now, the B1 English test... I know this has to be taken at a home office approved test centre - and having tried to make a booking through the uk gov web site, it seems nothing is available this month... so, I’ve resigned myself that we will have to apply for flr m, as time is now of the essence. Today googling I did find some vacancies in Cardiff (my closest location), for what seems to be the correct test. Esol entry 3 B1. Can anyone tell me if this is a legitimate test type - is it acceptable for set m application? I wouldn’t want to waste £180 on something that turns out to be a practice test, that has no merit...
Any help advice welcome...

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:06 am

ESOL is no longer accepted and has been the case since November 2015.

Which website have you tried to book a test, can you post the link?
Char (CR001 not Casa)

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:08 am

OhBoy wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:00 am
Thanks for all help on this. She’s off today for LIUK test, fingers crossed.
Now, the B1 English test... I know this has to be taken at a home office approved test centre - and having tried to make a booking through the uk gov web site, it seems nothing is available this month... so, I’ve resigned myself that we will have to apply for flr m, as time is now of the essence. Today googling I did find some vacancies in Cardiff (my closest location), for what seems to be the correct test. Esol entry 3 B1. Can anyone tell me if this is a legitimate test type - is it acceptable for set m application? I wouldn’t want to waste £180 on something that turns out to be a practice test, that has no merit...
Any help advice welcome...
Note: Please dont take my word on it and wait for seniors to respond but I can see there is a lot of availability for SELT B1 at cardiff please view the link:
https://seltbooking.trinitycollege.co.u ... CenterId=3
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

OhBoy
Mood:

Post by OhBoy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:12 am

Wow! You just saved me £180...thanks for that...
The site I’ve tried is https://ieltsukvisas.britishcouncil.org which shows no availability...

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Post by CULLINAN » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:16 am

OhBoy wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:12 am
The site I’ve tried is https://ieltsukvisas.britishcouncil.org which shows no availability...
Great. Just for confirmation.
Follow this link is the authentic govt link which takes you to the same link I provided before.
Look number 1 and scroll right to contact details and click on that website (its the same link as before)
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ebsite.pdf
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:17 am

OhBoy wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:12 am
Try the link that the other user has provided as Trinity B1 IELTS is also on the approved list.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

OhBoy
Mood:

Post by OhBoy » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:32 am

Thank you both for your guidance on this.
I’d got myself caught in a loop, and was getting nowhere...
Now sorted...
Many thanks again...

OhBoy
Mood:

Post by OhBoy » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:31 pm

Good news... Life in the UK now passed, and Speaking and Understanding G5 B1 also passed... so jut needing to wait for the certificate now, about a week...
On returning to complete the set m, I've confused myself over the amount of savings required for the set m application. I can see clearly enough that 62,500 is required for FLR M, that amount being divided by 2.5 after the 16,000 minimum is deducted. What I'm struggling to get straight in my own mind, is what the required level of savings is for SET M, after the 5 yrs of FLR M and as I'm now making application for indefinite leave to remain, or for settlement...
Is it the same 62,500? Or is it a different number? I just can't seem to find the savings requirement for SET M.
Could you please let me know what the requirement is...

oldmankensey

Post by oldmankensey » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:45 pm

it's £34,600...£16,000 plus £18,600

indefinite-leave-to-remain/financial-re ... 60036.html

OhBoy
Mood:

Post by OhBoy » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:18 pm

oldmankensey wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:45 pm
it's £34,600...£16,000 plus £18,600

indefinite-leave-to-remain/financial-re ... 60036.html
Many thanks for that...

OhBoy
Mood:

Post by OhBoy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:21 am

Declaration to the origin of savings...
In the online application for SET M, it is already necessary to declare where the savings came from. Yet it also asks for a declaration to be attached to the application as to the origin of the savings...
Can someone tell me what form this declaration should take?
Is it a simple typed sheet of A4, signed and dated? Or does it need to be more formal, perhaps witnessed by JP or solicitor...

oldmankensey

Post by oldmankensey » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:11 pm

I typed out in Word a 2 paragraph statement, paraphrasing:
our savings come from employment in the last five years. They have been held at the required level for at least six months (as shown by accompanying statements) and are immediately accessible. We have not made use of any loans and have not borrowed anything from friends or family.
Printed both our names, signatures, date.

Put into PDF, uploaded.

OhBoy
Mood:

Post by OhBoy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:56 pm

oldmankensey wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:11 pm
I typed out in Word a 2 paragraph statement, paraphrasing:
our savings come from employment in the last five years. They have been held at the required level for at least six months (as shown by accompanying statements) and are immediately accessible. We have not made use of any loans and have not borrowed anything from friends or family.
Printed both our names, signatures, date.

Put into PDF, uploaded.
Ooohh, I hadn’t thought about the “not borrowed or taken out loans”. So it’s a simple self written declaration. OK, thank you...

OhBoy
Mood:

Post by OhBoy » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:15 pm

OK. So just having returned from the Sopra Steria appointment. I found an email from UKVCAS stating that that they'd completed checks on the documents I'd uploaded. The email pointed out that 2 mandatory documents could not be found.
These were a copy of the applicants passport, and a copy of the spouse's declaration. They should be uploaded to the proof of application category.
The time the email was sent - 09:28 this morning, we were already on our way to Sopra Steria appointment for 11:00.
After the appointment we left Bristol and returned south. Getting home I checked on emails and then found this one I've mentioned above.
On examining what I had previously uploaded, I found that I had uploaded the two documents they wanted, though I'd uploaded them under proof of identity / travel history... Anyway - I just uploaded them again, this time under proof of application, as they requested.
The email requested that I upload the documents ahead of the appointment, which obviously I couldn't do as I was not aware of the email until we'd travelled back home after the appointment.
So, the question is - have I sent them in-time? Even though they were sent after the appointment...
The email also said not to reply to the email (not monitored), but to use the contact form on www.UKVCAS.co.uk which is currently not reachable...
Is there another way to get in touch to ensure that they now have all they need?

michali
Member of Standing

Post by michali » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:50 pm

I can only comment based on posts I have seen on this forum but firstly, I was under the impression that documents are checked at the Sopra Steria appointment. It seems your weren’t ? I have also read that documents could be uploaded until 10pm the same day as the appointment. So it should be fine if this is the case. Hopefully, someone who has completed the process will be able to advise.

OhBoy
Mood:

Post by OhBoy » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:30 pm

michali wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:50 pm
I can only comment based on posts I have seen on this forum but firstly, I was under the impression that documents are checked at the Sopra Steria appointment. It seems your weren’t ? I have also read that documents could be uploaded until 10pm the same day as the appointment. So it should be fine if this is the case. Hopefully, someone who has completed the process will be able to advise.
Oh, OK - if it is by 10 pm, then I think we've done it in time then... thanks for that...
They did check the documents at Sopra Steria today sure enough... though I think they were mostly concerned that the required documents were included, and legible...
I'd still like to know how to get in touch with them to check that everything is now OK and the new uploaded documents are fine. But I guess now that the holiday period is going to play a part in how things progress.