ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Changing spouse visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Sadiabatool
Newly Registered
Mood:

Changing spouse visa

Post by Sadiabatool » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:11 pm

Hi, can i get your advise on this please, my partner came in UK on a spouse visa as a husband with another girl on 10th dec 2018. They married islamicly but their marriage is not registered in UK. Islamicly he can have more than 1 wife at the same time.
The queation is, can me and my partner get married in UK islamicly and get the married registered in UK?
If so, i am a british citizen, can i then aply his Spouse visa while he is in UK with me? Can a spouse visa get transered from his first wife to me? I meet all spouse visa requirements and earn more than £18, 600 a year.

Casa

Re: Changing spouse visa

Post by Casa » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:32 pm

1. You can't 'transfer' a spouse visa from one person to another.

2. An Islamic marriage which takes place within the UK won't be recognised under British law

3. It is illegal in the UK to have more than one wife.

4. If your 'boyfriend' only arrived in the UK on a spouse visa less than 2 weeks ago, how are you in a relationship with him :?:

5. There is no requirement to register an Islamic marriage in the UK if it was legally recognised under the law where the marriage took place. He wouldn't have been issued with a Spouse Settlement visa if the Home Office didn't accept the legality of the marriage certificate.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Auk333
Pakistan

Post by Auk333 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:19 pm

i don't think the home office this relationship as a genuine or subsisting.
under British law it is illegal.

Casa

Post by Casa » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:35 pm

Auk333 wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:19 pm
i don't think the home office this relationship as a genuine or subsisting.
under British law it is illegal.
Which relationship are you referring to? The marriage outside of the UK was obviously considered as legal, or the Spouse Settlement visa wouldn't have been granted. Whether the relationship is genuine, or solely a means to gain entry is another matter.

However, if the spouse is no longer living with the wife who sponsored his visa, the relationship is no longer subsisting and his right to remain in the UK as a spouse would cease.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.