ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

spousal visa, so confused, any help appreciated

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé/e | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

RGM
Newly Registered
Canada

spousal visa, so confused, any help appreciated

Post by RGM » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:52 pm

Please help. Even being directed to the appropriate potential options available to my family would be greatly appreciated.

I’m Canadian, my wife is Scottish and our daughter was born here in Canada, but we are in the process of getting her British passport right now.

I work and my wife stays home to provide child care. My income is decent (£45000/year roughly), though my wife has worked 1 day a week to get out of the house for the last nearly 5 years.

We recently returned from a visit to Scotland and it became clear that based on health issues with her parents that there is a limited window of time for my daughter to know her family before it’s too late. Once we decided this was something to we were going to do, she went back to work full time and I am now staying home with my daughter.

My wife’s income is not at the minimum income threshold of £18600, rough exchange puts her at about £16500. We have no savings, although there may be the ability to be given a wedding gift that would cover that required savings to offset the difference. I understand the formula 2.5x difference + £16000.

Accommodation, English language skill and proof of relationship are all easily taken care of for us, but it’s the financial requirements that are killing us, with my income not counting from in Canada.

Should we try to apply via the 5 year route knowing we are not going to qualify and hope that the 10 year route becomes available?

Does anyone know what kind of costs are involved in having a solicitor prepare the application? Or even the costs for a consult that could help us know what path we need to take.

All of this is time sensitive as my wife’s father was given until this passed October, he is obviously out living the doctors estimated time line, but there is not a huge amount of time for us to move on this.

Thank you to anyone that takes the time to read this and more so to any advice offered. We are emotionally overwhelmed with our situation and that does not help in the attempt to understand the immigration laws at all.

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:

Re: spousal visa, so confused, any help appreciated

Post by seagul » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:09 pm

Almost everyone in life has to sacrifice something to get something. Why don't you try to stay in your present employment until you get extension on 5 years partner route.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: spousal visa, so confused, any help appreciated

Post by CR001 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:13 pm

seagul wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:09 pm
Almost everyone in life has to sacrifice something to get something. Why don't you try to stay in your present employment until you get extension on 5 years partner route.
The family is NOT in the UK but in Canada looking to move to the UK. The OP is Canadian.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.