ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship - Supporting Documents List ?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe

Simplyhuman

British Citizenship - Supporting Documents List ?

Post by Simplyhuman » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:26 am

Hi All,

Sorry if this thas been asked before + if it is available somewhere else in the forum!

After delaying for few years, I’m finally looking to sort out this (on ILR for 4+ years now). Going through the new process/centres + increased fees are the consequences of delaying it for this long I guess!

Q1. Please can someone advise on the ‘standard/full supporting documents list’ for the British Citizenship application?

Q2. And, do all the required supporting docs need to be scanned & uploaded through the UKVCAS system, if applying through the online application process?

Many thanks in anticipation!

alterhase58
Germany

Re: British Citizenship - Supporting Documents List ?

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:34 am

This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Simplyhuman

Post by Simplyhuman » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:33 am

Many thanks @alterchase58

I have read the documentation, but I just wanted to confirm the list of docs and the method of submitting these docs with others who have some experience/knowledge of these.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:21 am

Well I did my application on paper - so cannot comment on the new submission service. I'd expect that all relevent documents should be scanned in - other to confirm. The list of documents should be straightforward as per the pages at the end of the paper form, though you won't need all of them.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

johnhkg
Hong Kong

Post by johnhkg » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:16 pm

Simplyhuman wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:33 am

I have read the documentation, but I just wanted to confirm the list of docs and the method of submitting these docs with others who have some experience/knowledge of these.
I have recently submitted my application. I can assure you that there is no "standard" list of supporting documents, e.g. EEA citizens need to supply documents that others do not, if you are married to a BC it is different to someone who attained ILR through the 10-year long residence route.

However, the online application form is interactive and will inform you what documents you will need to provide.

Use the online application, fill out your details. You can save and return at any time. You can also download your partially completed for at any time, part of which will be your document list.

Once you submit your application you will be directed to UKVCAS website where you can upload scans of all your documents or, if you can't do this, take them all to your appointment and UKVCAS will scan for you.

Simplyhuman

Post by Simplyhuman » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:04 pm

johnhkg wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:16 pm
Simplyhuman wrote:

I have recently submitted my application. I can assure you that there is no "standard" list of supporting documents, e.g. EEA citizens need to supply documents that others do not, if you are married to a BC it is different to someone who attained ILR through the 10-year long residence route.

However, the online application form is interactive and will inform you what documents you will need to provide.

Use the online application, fill out your details. You can save and return at any time. You can also download your partially completed for at any time, part of which will be your document list.

Once you submit your application you will be directed to UKVCAS website where you can upload scans of all your documents or, if you can't do this, take them all to your appointment and UKVCAS will scan for you.
Many thanks for your response and the advice!

Completed the application now and booked an appointment too.

I’ve got the docs list that I need to provide, and looks straightforward but some clarification on one/two items as below will be useful!

Docs list

1. Passport - All good!

2. Life in the UK Cert. - All good!

3. Proof of living in UK - Current Passport
I assume passport will cover this requirement because it should have all the in/out of country stamps etc.? So all these pages will need to be uploaded, including front/back etc. ?? Anything else that is required here that I could be missing?

4. Two Referees - All good!

5. Proof of freedom from immigration time restrictions / Evidence of ILR (letter/BRP) - BRP All good!

6. Two referee declarations (hard copy) - All good!

7. Self evidence of identity - All good!
a. Passport
b. Driving license (as used in LIUK Test)

8. BRP - All good!

I’ll be grateful if someone could please confirm the above point 3!

ALSO, the upload docs section on UKVCAS portal seems to offer the ability to upload lots of other document categories too, albeit Optional by the looks of it! ONLY 1 item (passport) appears as mandatory on there though!

Can someone please confirm that these are not required as such? If not listed as mandatory in the checklist that was provided as part of the application!

Many thanks!

johnhkg
Hong Kong

Post by johnhkg » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:08 pm

Simplyhuman wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:04 pm
johnhkg wrote:
Simplyhuman wrote:

I assume passport will cover this requirement because it should have all the in/out of country stamps etc.? So all these pages will need to be uploaded, including front/back etc. ?? Anything else that is required here that I could be missing?

You assume correctly provided you are not an EEA citizen. Scan all pages of the passport, even blank pages, just in case.

ALSO, the upload docs section on UKVCAS portal seems to offer the ability to upload lots of other document categories too, albeit Optional by the looks of it! ONLY 1 item (passport) appears as mandatory on there though!

Can someone please confirm that these are not required as such? If not listed as mandatory in the checklist that was provided as part of the application!

The UKVCAS document upload categories are confusing, I agree, but they cover the full range of UKVI applications such as work visas etc. I put my passport in as you say the mandatory category, all others I put into the optional category and ignored the rest. I paid for document checking by UKVCAS and they confirmed that all was OK.

Many thanks!

Simplyhuman

Post by Simplyhuman » Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:36 am

johnhkg wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:08 pm
Simplyhuman wrote:
johnhkg wrote:
Simplyhuman wrote:

You assume correctly provided you are not an EEA citizen. Scan all pages of the passport, even blank pages, just in case.

The UKVCAS document upload categories are confusing, I agree, but they cover the full range of UKVI applications such as work visas etc. I put my passport in as you say the mandatory category, all others I put into the optional category and ignored the rest. I paid for document checking by UKVCAS and they confirmed that all was OK.

Many thanks!
Many Thanks!

I’ve booked an appointment at one of the enhanced UKVCAS centres so had to pay £60.00 for the appointment anyway. It said that the DOCUMENT UPLOAD AND CHECKING service is included in that price. I’m still going to upload all the docs myself, and hope they can check these on the day and confirm things accordingly!

Thanks again for your responses and information that you shared!

Simplyhuman

Post by Simplyhuman » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:55 am

Hi moderators/experts,

@vinny , @CR001 and others ?!

Please can you also confirm and advise re:above? and if there should be anything else that I need to pay attention to before the appointment at UKVCAS?

I have the appointment on Friday this week.

Thanks in advance!

johnhkg
Hong Kong

Post by johnhkg » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:11 pm

Simplyhuman wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:55 am
Hi moderators/experts,

Please can you also confirm and advise re:above? and if there should be anything else that I need to pay attention to before the appointment at UKVCAS?

Thanks in advance!
Yes, UKVCAS ask for proof of address during the appointment even though they don't say anything during the appointment booking process, so take along a utility bill or something. I used my driving licence.

Simplyhuman

Post by Simplyhuman » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:16 pm

johnhkg wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:11 pm
Simplyhuman wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:55 am
Hi moderators/experts,

Thanks in advance!
Yes, UKVCAS ask for proof of address during the appointment even though they don't say anything during the appointment booking process, so take along a utility bill or something. I used my driving licence.
Thank you!

I have the driving licence with me too for that, so hopefully be good.

Regarding the same point 3 from above ‘Proof of living in UK - Current Passport’ - this is what the UKV&I website said to produce for this item i.e. passport with in/out stamps, I’m hoping that is the case?!

johnhkg
Hong Kong

Post by johnhkg » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:24 pm

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thank you!

I have the driving licence with me too for that, so hopefully be good.

Regarding the same point 3 from above ‘Proof of living in UK - Current Passport’ - this is what the UKV&I website said to produce for this item i.e. passport with in/out stamps, I’m hoping that is the case?!
[/quote]

Again, I ask are you an EEA citizen applying, or not? Proof of residence requirements are not the same.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:30 pm

johnhkg wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:24 pm
Again, I ask are you an EEA citizen applying, or not? Proof of residence requirements are not the same.
User 'simplyhuman' is NOT an EEA/EU citizen. The user got ILR via the Tier 2 visa 5 year residence route.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Simplyhuman

Post by Simplyhuman » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:32 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:30 pm
johnhkg wrote:
User 'simplyhuman' is NOT an EEA/EU citizen. The user got ILR via the Tier 2 visa 5 year residence route.
Thanks @CR001 - yes, I’m not an EEA/EU citizen, and on ILR after the Tier 2 route! Been on ILR for 4+ years.

During the online application it said, I need to provide the ‘proof of living in the UK’ , and that can be the passport showing stamps in/out. Obviously I’m living here and working and paying my dues etc. But wanted to confirm that if in case I need to provide something extra? in addition to the passport showing all the stamps etc.

Please advise? Appointment this Friday!

Thanks in anticipation!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:28 pm

Simplyhuman wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:32 pm
CR001 wrote:
johnhkg wrote:
Thanks @CR001 - yes, I’m not an EEA/EU citizen, and on ILR after the Tier 2 route! Been on ILR for 4+ years.

During the online application it said, I need to provide the ‘proof of living in the UK’ , and that can be the passport showing stamps in/out. Obviously I’m living here and working and paying my dues etc. But wanted to confirm that if in case I need to provide something extra? in addition to the passport showing all the stamps etc.

Thanks in anticipation!
Only your passport, no other extra documents to prove living in the UK.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Simplyhuman

Post by Simplyhuman » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:47 pm

CR001 wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:28 pm
Simplyhuman wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:32 pm
CR001 wrote:
johnhkg wrote:

Thanks in anticipation!
Only your passport, no other extra documents to prove living in the UK.
Many thanks @CR001

I’ve just thought about one another one, if you/someone can clarify please?

The hard copy referee declaration says ‘glu the photo to the form after writing the Name and DoB on the back’, I have done that and scanned for uploading etc.

Am I right in assuming that the hard copies are not going to be posted or taken by UKVCAS? seems that the name and DoB on the back could be due to the existing form now used for the new method of online application/uploading, but in actual the back of the photo is not going to get across to HO?

Thanks in anticipation!

johnhkg
Hong Kong

Post by johnhkg » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:42 pm

Simplyhuman wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:47 pm

Many thanks @CR001

I’ve just thought about one another one, if you/someone can clarify please?

The hard copy referee declaration says ‘glu the photo to the form after writing the Name and DoB on the back’, I have done that and scanned for uploading etc.

Am I right in assuming that the hard copies are not going to be posted or taken by UKVCAS? seems that the name and DoB on the back could be due to the existing form now used for the new method of online application/uploading, but in actual the back of the photo is not going to get across to HO?

Thanks in anticipation!
You are right. UKVCAS do not retain any documents, they only ensure that documents are scanned and clearly readable.

Simplyhuman

Post by Simplyhuman » Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:07 pm

Thanks all!

I’ve been to the UKVCAS appointment earlier today.

I MUST admit I have for certain wasted £60 on a lot of better things before today! Not that it’s the fault of people working there as they’re just the library staff given whatever amount of knowledge and training. But it must be the HO and the their commercial partner who’ve not put in much effort, but rather they’ve just created another income source/business.

I’m glad that I’d already uploaded everything correctly. It was evident in the first minute of the appointment that the staff didn’t know much about what they were doing. Pretty basic knowledge + reaffirming to each other if it is a single click or a double click to do something on the system. Anyhow, without getting into the whole story, I had to ask them to ensure they check everything on the system + make sure it’s uploaded and verified etc. The photo machine/booth wasn’t working so more of a manual camera job had to be done. Biometrics taken and uploaded onto the system.

All in all, 1/10 score for their preparedness as providers of this service, but again, I don’t think it’s staff’s fault entirely if they’ve been given a new role but without enough knowledge and training.

I just hope that they’ve submitted everything properly and correctly as I didn’t get any receipt/confirmation from them for this either.

mtsgill
Mood:

Post by mtsgill » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:03 am

Simplyhuman wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:07 pm
Thanks all!

I’ve been to the UKVCAS appointment earlier today.

I MUST admit I have for certain wasted £60 on a lot of better things before today! Not that it’s the fault of people working there as they’re just the library staff given whatever amount of knowledge and training. But it must be the HO and the their commercial partner who’ve not put in much effort, but rather they’ve just created another income source/business.

I’m glad that I’d already uploaded everything correctly. It was evident in the first minute of the appointment that the staff didn’t know much about what they were doing. Pretty basic knowledge + reaffirming to each other if it is a single click or a double click to do something on the system. Anyhow, without getting into the whole story, I had to ask them to ensure they check everything on the system + make sure it’s uploaded and verified etc. The photo machine/booth wasn’t working so more of a manual camera job had to be done. Biometrics taken and uploaded onto the system.

All in all, 1/10 score for their preparedness as providers of this service, but again, I don’t think it’s staff’s fault entirely if they’ve been given a new role but without enough knowledge and training.

I just hope that they’ve submitted everything properly and correctly as I didn’t get any receipt/confirmation from them for this either.
Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. I wish you all the very best with your application. On a separate note, did you visit any of the UKVCAS centers in London? I am having my appointment in one of their Premium Lounges next week (Mark Lane London) and after reading your comments, I am not sure if it was worth spending £260 on this!!

Simplyhuman

Post by Simplyhuman » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:34 pm

Thanks!

I didn’t have my appointment in London, no!

The premium lounge service in London may be different, but at the end of the day it is all about the same steps from the application side of things.

To my money, after the experience I had, I’d advise if you’re able to do everything yourself including scanning/uploading, then don’t waste your time/money with these people tbh. Obviously you have to pay the minimum amount if you’re not booking free at one of the core centres, and still submit your biometrics through them. Apart from the biometrics (that too, we have no other option), I don’t see any particular value of these centres if you’re able to sort things out yourself.

I am still hoping they have submitted everything correctly!

PS - I can still login on UKVCAS and can still see/remove/upload more documents by the looks of it. I thought this would be stopped from 22:00 on the appointment day!

Thanks

Simplyhuman

Post by Simplyhuman » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:12 pm

Hi all,

It seems that I’m still able to (Friday was appointment) log in and manage the uplaods via UKVCAS website.

Can someone share their experience and confirm if this is normal behaviour? Or should I be concerned?

Regards

difficult_guy

Post by difficult_guy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:36 pm

Simplyhuman wrote:
johnhkg wrote:
Simplyhuman wrote:

Many thanks for your response and the advice!

Completed the application now and booked an appointment too.

I’ve got the docs list that I need to provide, and looks straightforward but some clarification on one/two items as below will be useful!

Docs list

1. Passport - All good!

2. Life in the UK Cert. - All good!

4. Two Referees - All good!

5. Proof of freedom from immigration time restrictions / Evidence of ILR (letter/BRP) - BRP All good!

6. Two referee declarations (hard copy) - All good!

7. Self evidence of identity - All good!
a. Passport
b. Driving license (as used in LIUK Test)

8. BRP - All good!

I’ll be grateful if someone could please confirm the above point 3!

Many thanks!
Are you NOT sending any documents related your English language test? As far as I know, English language is compulsory for Nationality... PLEASE let me know ASAP

Simplyhuman

Post by Simplyhuman » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:55 pm

Just an update - received the approval confirmation letter and invitation to register for the citizenship ceremony this week, so approx. 6-7 weeks.

Pity the the next ceremony at the local council is in April, as I was looking to get things done and dusted!

Thanks all for your time and info provided!

j4mrk82
Newly Registered

Post by j4mrk82 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:49 am

Simplyhuman wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:55 pm
Just an update - received the approval confirmation letter and invitation to register for the citizenship ceremony this week, so approx. 6-7 weeks.

Pity the the next ceremony at the local council is in April, as I was looking to get things done and dusted!

Thanks all for your time and info provided!
Is ceremony price separate or included in the online fee?

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:01 am

Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice